RE: [Bolitho] Age of Sail II

  • Mark Furrer
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 1, 2002
      Ah Major Len,

      I would like to echo your feelings on this particular game. I recently acquired my copy of Age of Sail II as well, and absolutely am taken with it. I currently am in the second phase of my campaign and have 5 ships under my command. A pair of 3rd and 4th rates and 1 British merchant prize ship. (Yes, yes, I know - but I am playing the French fleet it seems in this campaign. Hoping the Lords of the Admiralty will not judge my position in the fleet by this.) Forgive the lack of details or titles for I can not pull them to memory at this time. I can tell you this though, the next scenario I am in for looks to be a nasty one. Taking on a 108 gun, "A" type crew of 800 plus and her supporting ships. Should be interesting.
      I think this game is networkable or has a game site such as MSN game zone so it can be played over the net. Perhaps we might meet one night on open internet seas, eh?
      Either which way, enjoy the game!

      Capt Mark
      HM Sloop Sharke

      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 2, 2002
        Yes I too have this game as well, I have been killing Nazis online as
        of late. I just tried to play Age of Sail 2 online, they use gamespy
        as a site. my logon name is Bolitho, Would love to play some time!
        Cheers

        Capt Orr RM

        --- In Bolitho@y..., Mark Furrer <mfurrer@p...> wrote:
        > Ah Major Len,
        >
        > I would like to echo your feelings on this particular game. I
        recently
        > acquired my copy of Age of Sail II as well, and absolutely am taken
        with it.
        > I currently am in the second phase of my campaign and have 5 ships
        under my
        > command. A pair of 3rd and 4th rates and 1 British merchant prize
        ship.
        > (Yes, yes, I know - but I am playing the French fleet it seems in
        this
        > campaign. Hoping the Lords of the Admiralty will not judge my
        position in
        > the fleet by this.) Forgive the lack of details or titles for I can
        not pull
        > them to memory at this time. I can tell you this though, the next
        scenario I
        > am in for looks to be a nasty one. Taking on a 108 gun, "A" type
        crew of 800
        > plus and her supporting ships. Should be interesting.
        > I think this game is networkable or has a game site such as MSN
        game zone so
        > it can be played over the net. Perhaps we might meet one night on
        open
        > internet seas, eh?
        > Either which way, enjoy the game!
        >

        > Capt Mark
        > HM Sloop Sharke

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=219350.1854778.3359790.1501206/D=egroupweb/S=17
        057373

        12:HM/A=935585/R=0/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/grp/300_1b/g22lp?
        Target=
        > mm/g22lp.tmpl>
        >
        > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
        M=219350.1854778.3359790.1501206/D=egroupmai
        > l/S=1705737312:HM/A=935585/rand=228486451>

        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
      • Mark Furrer
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 8, 2002
          Ahoy Capt Orr,

          Well then, I would quite fancy a game one eve when the time permits. Seeing
          how as we are in the same time zone it should not be too hard to arrange.
          I will post orders with the signals midshipman to keep watch for any such
          signals and dispatches from you on such.

          Regards,

          Capt Mark
          HM Sloop Sharke

          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 8, 2002
            Well capt I thank you most heartily, I have not played much of the
            game still a newbie as you might put it! I find it somewhat slow I
            guess; then again I did not have the wind gauge! I will be in touch
            sir!

            Thanks again
            Your servant

            Capt Orr RM

            --- In Bolitho@y..., Mark Furrer <mfurrer@p...> wrote:
            > Ahoy Capt Orr,
            >
            > Well then, I would quite fancy a game one eve when the time
            permits. Seeing
            > how as we are in the same time zone it should not be too hard to
            arrange.
            > I will post orders with the signals midshipman to keep watch for
            any such
            > signals and dispatches from you on such.
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Capt Mark
            > HM Sloop Sharke

          • sjnplym
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 19, 2002
              Ahoy there,
              I have been considering purchasing the strategy game 'Age of Sail
              II' but I have read rather contrasting reviews, some good, some
              atrocious - any views on this or other similar era strategy games
              please?

              I am ploughing my way through several hundred e-mails after not using
              computer for a week or so, having had a few days home decorating and
              and then few days fishing (Capn Tony - I have a good store of
              Whiting, Bass and Cod salted away for our next venture in 'Speedy' -
              we will not go hungry, I trust you will supply the liquid
              refreshment!!!), Eventually I hope to catch up on group gossip and
              maybe one day get around to answering one of Capn Bobs questions!!!

              regards to all

              Simon
              Master
              HM Brig Speedy
            • Robert Squarebriggs
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 20, 2002
                Ahoy the Speedy,

                Good to hear from ya. Capt Tony tells me you've been making heavy weather
                of it, keep up the good work, the wind will blow fair eventually! Sorry,
                but I haven't any experience with the Age of Sail Game, though I've heard it
                is a lot of fun and in many ways superior to A o S II. Just had an advert.
                for A o S this morning, on line from Chips&Bits, a computer game supplier,
                for only $9.95. Thinking of ordering myself one.

                We'll see!

                Feel free to take a crack at the Q & A any time, more the merrier, and don't
                take it too serious! Have fun with it!

                Capt Bob
                HMS Defiant
                safe and snug in dockyard, wishing the ice would leave the river and gulf,
                North American station