Re: Happy New Year!

  • herewardsgal1
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 1, 2002
      --- In Bolitho@y..., "sedisorder" <sedisorder@y...> wrote:
      > Hi all,
      > Yes, Yahoo is driving me nuts with the ads..as is AOL with the pop
      up
      > ads every time you go to a site.

      ........they are driving me bananas too........I tried my "ad
      blocking" on Norton, then found I couldn't load my MSN Messenger, so
      hence the ads are back! :<(

      Thanks for your good wishes, Happy New Year to you all.......time we
      all got together for another chat soon, surely, Fleet?

      Commander Mary
      HM Cutter Hereward (10)
      North Sea Squadron

      ---- definitely not putting out to sea today - in the household
      galley cooking New Year's lunch for the family -----
    • vivmoi
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 1, 2002
        Happy New Year to all!  Here's my attempts at Limericks:

        1.
        There a young writer named Reeman,
        Who wrote of great ships and bold seamen,
        And then he was Kent,
        More books heaven sent!
        The man must write like a demon.

        2.
        There once was a writer named Kent,
        Whose books were all heaven sent,
        He also was Reeman,
        Who wrote of great seamen,
        And now all my money is spent!

        Well, those are my entries.  Hope everyone enjoys them!

        Major Len

      • Robert Squarebriggs

          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 6, 2002

            To all member of 'We Happy Few'

            Although very belated I write to everyone to wish you all a Happy New Year and a successfull start to 2002.

            Adm Edwin

          • Michaela Gercke
            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 30, 2002
              From: Captain Lady Cheney
              To: The Fleet

               A VERY HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR TO ALL MEMBERS OF THE FLEET!

              2002 has not been the most happy of my life - but I'm looking forward to 2003 and many good conversations with all of you. I realise that I have been very quiet during the most part of the year 2002, but I promised myself to be more engaged in the Bolitho group next year....

              Your friend,
              Lady Cheney

              (there will be a fantastic firework above the harbour, from HMS Hazard's quarterdeck I'll have the best view...;-))

            • SEDisorder@aol.com
              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 30, 2002

              • Captain Bob RM
                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 31, 2002
                  I guess maybe I am spoiled being in the Fire Service.
                  When we go out to party we always make sure our
                  designated driver is a CRT or Paramedic. That way
                  when we drift off to passed out land, he or she has
                  the tools to work.

                  In addition to those hangover helpers might I also
                  recommend

                  1. 100% Pure medical oxygen. Does wonders to clear up
                  the fuzzy head.

                  2. IV Lactated Ringers or Normal Saline. When you
                  worry about putting in Gatorade and water that gives
                  you less room for alcohol. Have a buddy top you off
                  while you sleep it off. About 2000 cc's is enough to
                  float anyone away to the land of the well hydrated.
                  Use caution who you sleep with. Nothing worse than
                  sleeping next to someone with a weak bladder.

                  3. Phenergan. Lovely drug that takes care of any
                  nausea or vomiting issues.

                  Happy New Year!!!
                  Major Bob RM

                  http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                • SEDisorder@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 31, 2002
                    Being the Designated Driver has the added advantage not too many of you drunken sots ever think of...I have by now, a LOT of blackmail material to use on my friends!  Hehehe!  Comes in handy when I need something moved!  Right now, having gotten a new DVD player for Christmas (and finally figured out how to hook the dumb thing up to a 10 year old tv) , I find I want a bigger and better TV set.  Problem is, I don't really feel like either lugging it up the stairs by myself, or paying some store's delivery charge.  So, I will simply make a few phone calls, tell a few people I need a favor, and if they balk....imply I am going to tell a significant other about something that should not have happened a few weeks ago....
                    Oh, I am sooooo evil!
                    Karen
                    ps I bought the latest Star Wars movie, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (if you are not familiar with Kevin Smith's movies, rent Clerks, Chasing Amy, and Dogma...very funny movies), and  Monty Python and the Holy Grail.  I love all the wxtras on the dvd's such as how sfx are done, locations chosen, and the interviews.  Someday, my dream vacation would be to either work on a film set for a few weeks, or to stand quietly in a corner, and just watch how things are done to make a film.

                  • Capt. Pat <pick1786@hotmail.com>
                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 31, 2002
                      Well, as it shows as Jan. 1 on my screen, let me wish the grip a
                      happy and successful New Year, 2003!
                    • Capt. Pat <pick1786@hotmail.com>
                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 31, 2002
                        --- In Bolitho@yahoogroups.com, "Capt. Pat <pick1786@h...>"
                        <pick1786@h...> wrote:
                        > Well, as it shows as Jan. 1 on my screen, let me wish the grip a
                        > happy and successful New Year, 2003!

                        ack....group I mean.
                      • SEDisorder@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 24 , Dec 31, 2002
                          Well, I guess correct spelling wasn't one of your new year's resolutions, Pat!  LOL!!  Mine are to reduce the size of the hips and waist, and increase the size of the bank account....yeah right.  Anyway, before the Slim Fast hell and the die  with a t start....I want to wish everyone a Happy New Year!
                          Karen

                        • Capt. Pat <pick1786@hotmail.com>
                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 31, 2002
                            Ney, far from it! My resolutions are to abstain from resolving! :-)

                            Pat

                          • John Stevens <jjts01757@yahoo.com>
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jan 1, 2003
                              Happy New Year to one and all.

                              John

                              P.S. A very nice job on your Naval Gazette, Capt. Pat. But why does
                              your picture show that Yankee? You know that she got away from the
                              pursuing British Squadron don't you?

                              Message 14 of 24 , Jan 1, 2003
                                My dear Capt. John

                                My sources informed me that that is a Leda-class frigate. Perhaps we
                                have bad intel!

                                Capt. Pat

                                --- In Bolitho@yahoogroups.com, "John Stevens <jjts01757@y...>"
                                <jjts01757@y...> wrote:
                                > Happy New Year to one and all.
                                >
                                > John
                                >
                                > P.S. A very nice job on your Naval Gazette, Capt. Pat. But why does
                                > your picture show that Yankee? You know that she got away from the
                                > pursuing British Squadron don't you?
                                >
                                > --- In Bolitho@yahoogroups.com, "Capt. Pat <pick1786@h...>"
                                > <pick1786@h...> wrote:
                                > > Well, as it shows as Jan. 1 on my screen, let me wish the grip a
                                > > happy and successful New Year, 2003!
                              • ALEX POU
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jan 1, 2003
                                  Happy and prosperous new year to the fleet.

                                  Comm. Alex Pou

                                • John Stevens <jjts01757@yahoo.com>
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jan 1, 2003
                                    I'm afraid so Captain. What you actually have there is U.S.S.
                                    Constitution, 44 under the command of Captain Issac Hull, running
                                    with all sail set from a British Squadron including H.M.S. Guerriere,
                                    which she fought and defeated a few months later. It was early in
                                    1812 if I recall correctly and Hull ordered his sails wet down and
                                    water casks broached in order to make good his escape. I've seen the
                                    original portrait on display at the USS Constitution museum in
                                    Cambridge across the Charles from Boston.

                                    None the less it's a marvelous painting for the Gazette. And it's
                                    just John BTW, the Captain has left the service.

                                    Best Wishes,
                                    John