Re: [Bolitho] new member

  • Allan Ee
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 4, 2000
      Hi everyone,
      I am presently re-reading C.S.Forester's Lord Hornblower. I see a lot of
      similiarities between Hornblower and Bolitho. The only Hornblower I've every
      seen on screen was the one done donkey years ago by Gregory Peck as the
      leading character when he was a damn sight younger!. He looked kind of gruff
      to me. It's a pity no one had enough brains to turn Bolitho into a movie or a
      TV series. It would have been fun to watch.

      I enjoy watching a movie or a t.v mini series that's based on a book and
      watching the story unfold and reading the exact pages simultaneously. Recently
      I watched a t.v. series on a Chinese classic "The Water Margin" shot on
      location in China and I read a translation of the book as the story unfolded.
      I got a big kick out of it. The movie wasn't 100% true to the book but where
      it concurred, It was fun.

      Tonight I went for a movie by Chow Yun Fatt and Michele Yeoh, "Crouching
      Tiger, Hidden Dragon". Great scenery and action sequences. It should hit your
      cinema screens soon. I recommend you see it.

      Regards
      Allan Ee

      Edwin Cuthbert wrote:

      > Hi Mike! Good to hear from you!
      >
      > > Looks like activity is at a low point right now, but that's OK.
      >
      > Sadly, yes! It has been for a while. But the good news is that people have
      > not been leaving the group...apart from one or two....so hopefully things
      > will pick up.
      >
      > > Also I've read the entire Sharpe series by Bernard
      > > Cornwell and found that it adds to my depth of knowledge of the
      > > Napoleonic era.
      >
      > Me to. To be honest I 'found' Sharpe after I found Bolitho, and yet I
      > haven't read all of the Bolitho series yet. Although, because of my
      > studies, I don't get my chance to read them anymore. I shouldn't rely plug
      > other mailing groups, but I don't know if you are aware, but there is a
      > Sharpe list at 'egroups' -Sharpe@egroups.coms -. I am a member of that
      > list too and conversation is consistent and some of the discussion are
      > really interesting. Maybe worth a look.
      >
      > > Regarding TV series, I loved Hornblower and even bought the tapes.
      > > Tried a Sharpe tape from the library and didn't like it very much.
      >
      > Hmmm! Hornblower was good. I began to read the books are the films but
      > could not get into them. I found them to basic, with not enough detail,
      > unlike the AK books. As for the Sharpe films. I found them very good,
      > particularly Company, Waterloo and Regiment, even though some of them do
      > differ from the books. Which Sharpe video did you watch?
      >
      > Take care!
      >
      > Edwin
      >
      > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      > Edwin Cuthbert (Postgrad.), Tel : 0797 1198910
      > Department of Chemistry, Email: E.R.Cuthbert@...
      > University of Reading,
      > Whiteknights, Reading,
      > Berkshire, RG6 6AH.
      > England

      > Free Worldwide Calling with Firetalk!
      > Click Here:
    • Mike Harrigan
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 6, 2000
        Hi,

        I'm a new member of the list. Looks like activity is at a low point
        right now, but that's OK. I'm about halfway through the Bolitho
        series (just finished #12 and ordered 13-16). I started reading
        nautical fiction with the POB Aubrey/Maturin series and loved it.
        Moved on to Hornblower, loved that too. Have tried a Marryat for a
        change of pace. Also I've read the entire Sharpe series by Bernard
        Cornwell and found that it adds to my depth of knowledge of the
        Napoleonic era.

        Regarding TV series, I loved Hornblower and even bought the tapes.
        Tried a Sharpe tape from the library and didn't like it very much.

        Personal info: I live in Los Altos, California and work in the high
        tech industry. Have been a sailor most of my life but don't own a
        boat. Also enjoy skiing, traveling, computers and other high tech
        gadgets, and cars. I'm in the process of building a 1930 Ford
        roadster as a hotrod with no fenders and a Chevy engine. Also just
        ordered a PT Cruiser. I've got a website: http://www.harrigan.com
        please visit!

        Mike Harrigan
      • Edwin Cuthbert
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 10, 2000

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 14, 2000
            --- In Bolitho@egroups.com, Edwin Cuthbert <E.R.Cuthbert@R...> wrote:
            > Hi Mike! Good to hear from you!
            >
            > > Also I've read the entire Sharpe series by Bernard
            > > Cornwell and found that it adds to my depth of knowledge of the
            > > Napoleonic era.
            >
            > Me to. To be honest I 'found' Sharpe after I found Bolitho, and yet
            > haven't read all of the Bolitho series yet. Although, because of my
            > studies, I don't get my chance to read them anymore. I shouldn't
            rely plug
            > other mailing groups, but I don't know if you are aware, but there
            is a
            > Sharpe list at 'egroups' -Sharpe@egroups.coms -. I am a member of
            that
            > list too and conversation is consistent and some of the discussion
            are
            > really interesting. Maybe worth a look.

            Thanks I'll give a look.

            > > Regarding TV series, I loved Hornblower and even bought the
            tapes.
            > > Tried a Sharpe tape from the library and didn't like it very much.
            >
            > Hmmm! Hornblower was good. I began to read the books are the films
            but
            > could not get into them. I found them to basic, with not enough
            detail,
            > unlike the AK books. As for the Sharpe films. I found them very
            good,
            > particularly Company, Waterloo and Regiment, even though some of
            them do
            > differ from the books. Which Sharpe video did you watch?

            Well, give Hornblower another try. I think they are equally well
            written and detailed as Kent, perhaps even better. Maybe the
            particular book you read was not as good. The later ones are better.
            I'll try another Sharpe film based on your recommendation.

            Cheers,

            Mike