New Book

  • murraysadler@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 6 , May 4, 2000
      I was checking out a book selection webpage and saw a listing for a
      book by Alexander Kent titled The Pelikan. Has anyone read it yet or
      heard of it?
    • Captain Bob RM
      Message 2 of 6 , May 16, 2002
        Greetings All,

        Since it seems the fleet is doomed to be infested by
        these evil skulking SCRATCH (Stupid Cat Requiring A
        Tight Cannon Hole)Cats I figured I would write a book
        to help the officers and sailors cope.

        Its called "101 Uses for an otherwise useless
        shipboard cat. Today's tip comes from page 56.

        Catpin

        When running short on belaying pins one may soak a cat
        heavily in starch. Stretch and allow to dry. Insert
        tailfirst into belaying pin rack. Secure lines as you
        would an ordinary pin.

        Stay tuned for a new tip each day.

        Boris

        LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
        http://launch.yahoo.com
      • suvwi52
        Message 3 of 6 , May 17, 2002
          Biki,

          It's wonderful how Capt. Bob continues to prove the point of how
          useful cats are compared to dogs. We are extremely useful because we
          are so smart. You know what you can do with a dead dog? Take it for a
          drag.

          Suvwi =^,,^=, Sr. Ship's Cat
          HMSloop Firefly (16)

          --- In Bolitho@y..., Captain Bob RM <captbobrm@y...> wrote:
          > Greetings All,
          >
          > Since it seems the fleet is doomed to be infested by
          > these evil skulking SCRATCH (Stupid Cat Requiring A
          > Tight Cannon Hole)Cats I figured I would write a book
          > to help the officers and sailors cope.
          >
          > Its called "101 Uses for an otherwise useless
          > shipboard cat. Today's tip comes from page 56.
          >
          > Catpin
          >
          > When running short on belaying pins one may soak a cat
          > heavily in starch. Stretch and allow to dry. Insert
          > tailfirst into belaying pin rack. Secure lines as you
          > would an ordinary pin.
          >
          > Stay tuned for a new tip each day.
          >
          > Boris

          > LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
          > http://launch.yahoo.com
        • Captain Bob RM
          Message 4 of 6 , May 17, 2002
            That Reminds me

            Today's Useless Cat Tip.

            When using lines of questionable length for rigging
            attach a cat as an end stay. To do this tie the end
            of the line to the cats tail with either a figure 8 or
            a bowline to ensure there is no slippage.

            Reeve your lines through the blocks accordingly. If
            your line plays out to the end you will be instantly
            "notified" by your lines built in alarm system.

            Stay tuned for more tip on how to use the useless.
            Boris

            --- suvwi52 <suvwi52@...> wrote:
            > Biki,
            >
            > It's wonderful how Capt. Bob continues to prove the
            > point of how
            > useful cats are compared to dogs. We are extremely
            > useful because we
            > are so smart. You know what you can do with a dead
            > dog? Take it for a
            > drag.
            >
            > Suvwi =^,,^=, Sr. Ship's Cat
            > HMSloop Firefly (16)
            >
            > --- In Bolitho@y..., Captain Bob RM <captbobrm@y...>
            > wrote:
            > > Greetings All,
            > >
            > > Since it seems the fleet is doomed to be infested
            > by
            > > these evil skulking SCRATCH (Stupid Cat Requiring
            > > Tight Cannon Hole)Cats I figured I would write a
            > book
            > > to help the officers and sailors cope.
            > >
            > > Its called "101 Uses for an otherwise useless
            > > shipboard cat. Today's tip comes from page 56.
            > >
            > > Catpin
            > >
            > > When running short on belaying pins one may soak a
            > cat
            > > heavily in starch. Stretch and allow to dry.
            > Insert
            > > tailfirst into belaying pin rack. Secure lines as
            > you
            > > would an ordinary pin.
            > >
            > > Stay tuned for a new tip each day.
            > >
            > > Boris

            > > LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
            > > http://launch.yahoo.com

            LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
            http://launch.yahoo.com
          • stephenchalker
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 13, 2007
              Ahoy Mates!

              I just received a new book for my birthday, written by a high school
              sweetheart of mine. it is very good, and Cookie and Emily should find
              it very interesting. It is the first in a series about a young girl
              (17) that stows away on a ship in 1760 to go to Barbados, thinking that
              she could claim her father's property. Most of it takes place on
              ships. The book is Star Crossed by Linda Collison, availible from
              Amazon UK. Check it out.

              Steve Chalker (AKA Lt. Songdog)
            • Mil Goose
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 14, 2007
                ...thanks, Steve! I did indeed check it out, and it does sound a
                good story with a favourable review. I'll keep an eye on it --
                thanks again.

                - Cookie -