Dispatches from another squadron.

  • Robert Squarebriggs
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2001
      D'ya hear there, this is the captain speaking,

      Dispatches have been received for another squadron , in the Great South Seas station, from Lt Commander (Ret) Julian Stockwin.  Commander Stockwin is the author of the new book KYDD, a tale about a seaman pressed into the Royal Navy.  He will be following this book with a series of eleven book all together, following the life of this seaman as he climbs the ladder from forecastle to quarter-deck and on to flag.

      Our gallant Captain Lady Cheney and Capt Orr told me about this book , so I had a peek at the Commanders web site.  Worth the effort!  www.julianstockwin.com  He has a bio there and some features about the series and links that might be of interest.  I dropped him a line last night on his "contact" site and received a reply this morning from him.  Nice to get a personal reply from the author.  We had a few things to chat about and things in common.  I am looking forward to reading his books if they are anything like the chapter he has on his site.

      Just thought I would share this dispatch with the squadron.  We will look forward for good things to come from him in the future.

      His perspective has me thinking though.  Wouldn't it be a nice thought to have a book from AK from Alldays perspective?  What ship(s) did he start out in before being pressed into the Phalarope?  Of course we all know what a path he swept through the tavern lasses and girls of Cornwall, so it could be quite the book! :-)

      I remain..................

      Capt Bob
      HMS Defiant
      (still awaiting replies to question #10 from the squadron)
    • Shell Levy
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2001
        I am surprised that you had not mentioned this before as I brought
        the news about KYDD earlier in the year. I also had a pleasant set
        of emails from Julian Stockwin.

        Sir Shell KtB
        HMS ANDROMEDA
        <currently on detached service ashore>

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 2, 2001
          Sorry Sir Shell,

          I must have missed that at the time. He seems quite the likeable fellow,
          eh.

          What is his book like?

          Capt Bob