Re: Newboy

  • Shell Levy
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2001
      Greetings, Newboy!
      Captain Sheldon Levy <HMS ANDROMEDA> here. You should try
      www.tallshipbooks.com for your reading sources. George and Amy
      Jepson will handle all your needs. Now, if you are looking to join
      our fleet, I suggest you beg most humbly to our Admiral or any of his
      staff.

      Shell

      --- In Bolitho@y..., Roy East <roy.east@c...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I'm new to the list. I'm on my third time round through the series.
      I must
      > confess I have not bought all new, because of the expense I have
      bought one
      > or two 2n hand as I have bought all the `Sharpe' books and many
      over naval
      > fiction books (inc' Mr Blower). I am searching for Richard Woodman
      books to
      > continue the Drinkwater series, and I'm desperate for more Adam
      Hardy.

      > A lot of people recommend the O'Brian books but I've tried several
      times (4)
      > and cannot get on with them as they seem to me to have a lot
      of `verbal' and
      > not so much action.
      >
      > Have you done a read-through book by book together or have I missed
      it.

      > Roy East
    • Roy East

        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 1, 2001
          Welcome Roy

          To the wonderful world of Bolitho.

          I have to agree with you about the O'Brian books, so far they have proved to
          be a very hard read.

          Capt. Robert Goddard
          HMS Discovery
          North Pacific Squadron

          Robert G Goddard

          rggoddard1@... <Robert Goddard>
          http://members.home.com/rggoddard1/

          I'm new to the list. I'm on my third time round through the series. I must
          confess I have not bought all new, because of the expense I have bought one
          or two 2n hand as I have bought all the 'Sharpe' books and many over naval
          fiction books (inc' Mr Blower). I am searching for Richard Woodman books to
          continue the Drinkwater series, and I'm desperate for more Adam Hardy.

          A lot of people recommend the O'Brian books but I've tried several times (4)
          and cannot get on with them as they seem to me to have a lot of 'verbal' and
          not so much action.

          Have you done a read-through book by book together or have I missed it.

          Roy East

          ---
          Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

          ---
        • vivmoi
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 2, 2001
            Thank God!  I thought I was the only person to find O'Brian's books a "tough read".  I've yet to finish one, though I, too, have made repeated attempts.  About 120 pages or so into "Post Captain" I was still wondering "Post-Captain of WHAT?"  It was like he was never going to sea again.  Ever.  Skipping ahead for brief passages did nothing to change this view.  Good period conversations, though.  But that's not what I wanted from Mr. O'Brian' books.

            Major Len

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 2, 2001
              A "read-through" book by book?  Not that I'm aware of.  I'd be willing, though.

              Major Len
              Have I reached Captain Birds Eye or Pugwash?

              Roy

              Shell Levy wrote:

              > Greetings, Newboy!
              > Captain Sheldon Levy <HMS ANDROMEDA> here.  You should try
              > www.tallshipbooks.com for your reading sources.  George and Amy
              > Jepson will handle all your needs.  Now, if you are looking to join
              > our fleet, I suggest you beg most humbly to our Admiral or any of his
              > staff.
              >
              > Shell
              >
              > --- In Bolitho@y..., Roy East <roy.east@c...> wrote:
              > > Hi,
              > >
              > > I'm new to the list. I'm on my third time round through the series.
              > I must
              > > confess I have not bought all new, because of the expense I have
              > bought one
              > > or two 2n hand as I have bought all the `Sharpe' books and many
              > over naval
              > > fiction books (inc' Mr Blower). I am searching for Richard Woodman
              > books to
              > > continue the Drinkwater series, and I'm desperate for more Adam
              > Hardy.
              > >
              > > A lot of people recommend the O'Brian books but I've tried several
              > times (4)
              > > and cannot get on with them as they seem to me to have a lot
              > of `verbal' and
              > > not so much action.
              > >
              > > Have you done a read-through book by book together or have I missed
              > it.
              > >
              > > Roy East

            • Robert Squarebriggs
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 2, 2001
                D'ya hear there, this is the captain speaking,

                Welcome aboard the squadron Roy, and a finer bunch of seadogs you'll never
                find this side of the Lizard! Our "squadron" is a diverse group of
                Bolitho/Alexander Kent admirers from around the world. To get into the
                series a bit more we have taken on roles in a ficticious squadron throughout
                the world, and each member has been assigned positions in the fleet,
                depending on their individual skills, experiences and the whim of our
                admirals and commodore, :-)

                I am happy to see that you are a well read recruit, and share my own
                interest in the period and opinion of the qualities of the late Patrick
                O'Brien. Mr. O'Brien seemed to try very hard, but I do not enjoy his
                novels, too long winded and too many non-nautical far fetched, subplots.
                How they ever choose his novels to make a movie of, I'll never know! But,
                they are working on a movie based on "Master and Commander" , using the
                replica frigate "HMS ROSE" as the star.

                If you could tell us a bit about yourself, then maybe Admiral Edwin, Vice
                Admiral Nigel or Commodore Percy would be so kind as to suggest a post for
                you. If you like, you could check out some of the other members bio's in
                the message archives for Oct and Nov of last year. Ours is a very diverse
                group, with members from Britain, Canada, the U.S., Spain, Germany, South
                America and elsewhere. We all enjoy the Bolitho series and the history of
                the Royal Navy of the period.

                So welcome aboard.

                I remain..................................

                Capt Bob
                HMS Defiant (Flagship to Admiral Edwin)
                on patrol on station in the Gulf of St Lawrence, North American station

                > I'm new to the list. I'm on my third time round through the series. I must
                > confess I have not bought all new, because of the expense I have bought
                one
                > or two 2n hand as I have bought all the 'Sharpe' books and many over naval
                > fiction books (inc' Mr Blower). I am searching for Richard Woodman books
                > continue the Drinkwater series, and I'm desperate for more Adam Hardy.
                >
                > A lot of people recommend the O'Brian books but I've tried several times
                (4)
                > and cannot get on with them as they seem to me to have a lot of 'verbal'
                and
                > not so much action.
                >
                > Have you done a read-through book by book together or have I missed it.
                >
                > Roy East
              • Roy East
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 2, 2001

                  Shell Levy wrote:

                  > Greetings, Newboy!
                  > Captain Sheldon Levy <HMS ANDROMEDA> here. You should try
                  > www.tallshipbooks.com for your reading sources. George and Amy
                  > Jepson will handle all your needs. Now, if you are looking to join
                  > our fleet, I suggest you beg most humbly to our Admiral or any of his
                  > staff.
                  >
                  > Shell
                  >
                  > --- In Bolitho@y..., Roy East <roy.east@c...> wrote:
                  > > Hi,
                  > >
                  > > I'm new to the list. I'm on my third time round through the series.
                  > I must
                  > > confess I have not bought all new, because of the expense I have
                  > bought one
                  > > or two 2n hand as I have bought all the `Sharpe' books and many
                  > over naval
                  > > fiction books (inc' Mr Blower). I am searching for Richard Woodman
                  > books to
                  > > continue the Drinkwater series, and I'm desperate for more Adam
                  > Hardy.
                  > >
                  > > A lot of people recommend the O'Brian books but I've tried several
                  > times (4)
                  > > and cannot get on with them as they seem to me to have a lot
                  > of `verbal' and
                  > > not so much action.
                  > >
                  > > Have you done a read-through book by book together or have I missed
                  > it.
                  > >
                  > > Roy East

                • Michaela Gercke
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 2, 2001
                    My Lords,

                    this is Lady Cheney, on patrol in the Baltic Sea.
                    I most recently  received a report concerning a new member of the squadron and just wanted to welcome him too!

                    The intelligence on Mr. O'Brian can also be confirmed by me - his books are a hard read and I fully agree with Captain Bob's very concise evaluation of his work.
                    I can assure you that I know what I'm talking about, since I read every single book in the Aubrey/Maturin series.....
                    Being one of the German squadron members I think this should be regarded as a sign of exeptional bravery and perseverance ;-)

                    Your most humble servant,
                    Lady Cheney HMS Hazard

                  • Percy.Harbers@web.de
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 3, 2001
                      --- In Bolitho@y..., "Michaela Gercke" <Cheney@g...> wrote:
                      > The intelligence on Mr. O'Brian can also be confirmed by me - his
                      books are a hard read and I fully agree with Captain Bob's very
                      concise evaluation of his work.
                      > I can assure you that I know what I'm talking about, since I read
                      every single book in the Aubrey/Maturin series.....
                      > Being one of the German squadron members I think this should be
                      regarded as a sign of exeptional bravery and perseverance ;-)

                      > Your most humble servant,
                      > Lady Cheney HMS Hazard

                      My dear Lady Cheney, Captain Bob and the rest of our Happy Few!

                      Interesting, that all of you agree in your opinion about Jack Aubrey.
                      I lately made my first acquaintance with Jack and am now half way
                      through "Master and Commander", and up to now, I find it a bloody
                      good read! It´s refreshing to have a completely different kind of
                      hero, than the always very self-controlled Bolitho or the self-
                      criticising Hornblower (nothing against them, just a statement). Jack
                      is just a dashing go-getter, full of zest for life ("Hey, here I
                      come! Better you go out of my way!"), but not as bright and
                      intellectual like our other heroes. But he has a good instinct!
                      Hence, he is supported by Stephen, whose mind is as sharp as a
                      razor´s blade. Interesting from the medical point of view: Stephen
                      being the ship´s surgeon provides us with information about medical
                      treatments on board sailing ships.
                      But you surely have to admit: Some situations are rather funny,
                      especially when Jack´s high spirits manoeuver him straight into
                      difficult situations. (Have I laughed!!!)
                      And O´Brian writes about the protagonists using their forenames. I
                      like that, for it makes you feel as if accompanying good old friends.
                      Even the detailed characterizations make it easy to understand the
                      persons´ actions.
                      Now, are there any supporters of Jack and Stephen in our little crew,
                      or is the commodore alone with that heretical opinion? :-)

                      Commodore Percy
                      HMS Fortune
                      North Sea Station

                      P.S.: By the way, Lady Cheney: Of course, it is a very special sign
                      of our well-known German perseverance. The German part of the Sqadron
                      is famous for that, didn´t you know? Apart from our dashing bravery,
                      of course, which is praised all over the fleet! :-)
                      Ah, I forgot our incomparable modesty....! ;-)
                    • jbecker@storycounty.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 3, 2001
                        I also like to read O'Brian concerning Jack & Stephen. I like Kent better but I mainly like the era.

                        Capt JBecker, HMS Tigger
                        enroute to North American Station

                        sentto-55237-1993-1002127192-jbecker=storycounty.com@...

                        10/03/01 11:41 AM
                        Please respond to Bolitho

                                To:        Bolitho@yahoogroups.com
                                cc:
                                Subject:        [Bolitho] Jack Aubrey

                        FREE COLLEGE MONEY
                        CLICK HERE to search
                        600,000 scholarships!
                        http://us.click.yahoo.com/Pv4pGD/4m7CAA/ySSFAA/gx3qlB/TM

                      • Ivan and Chusa
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 3, 2001
                          Huzzah, huzzah and huzzah agin for Commodore Percy,

                          I read the whole Aubrey/Maturin series and thoroughly enjoyed it. I found
                          that O'Brien had an uncanny knack for making you feel you were ther in the
                          drawing room, poop deck or orlop with the characters. And characters they
                          are. I was devastated when I heard that Mr. O'Brien had died at the
                          beginning of this year. The humour in his books is abundant aswell; not
                          slapstick but very subtle. As for the sub-plots, superb. Intelligence
                          gathering has always been an integral part of warfare and I wish more was
                          written about this side of warfare for the period.
                          Long stretches of shore leave granted but as we all know that was a pretty
                          common occurence of a sea-officer's life. I think O'Brien was striving for
                          a very true depiction of life for an officer as appossed to sealife for an
                          officer.
                          Commodore Percy, I envy you. When you're finished the current book you have
                          another 20 marvellous reads in front of you.

                          Midshipman Ivan

                          Have been keeping low over the summer. The place has been crawling with
                          Dons!