Bolitho Newsletter - Part II - The way ahead (fwd)

  • Edwin Russell Cuthbert
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 8, 1999
      I think it about time that we have the second installment of the Bolitho
      newsletter. The questions are being asked by his wife, Kim Reeman.

      Happy reading!

      Edwin

      "Douglas, this is the book you said you would never write. What happened
      to change your mind?"
      "I just felt that I owed it to Richard, to show more of his family, how
      his family - what he has of it - progresses, and his friends, and what
      influence he might have had on the navy. And for a very personaly reason.
      I didn't want any one else writing his interpretation of it at a later
      date, something I abhor. Some people in the trade have already mentioned
      the eventual death of Richard, which has been no secret from the beginning
      of the series in 1968. But again, I disagree completely with this business
      of, "he, the author, is killing him off." It doesn't happen that way; it
      is what Bolitho has always called fate. In spite of the tragedy, common
      enough in any sort of warfare, I found they story a compelling one to
      write."

      "Did you plan the actual moment."
      "I don't know what I though about the actual moment. I wasn't really
      expecting it. I knew the inevitability of it. As often happen, as I've
      seen for myself, these things tend to happen without any dramatics, and
      with a very abrupt suddenness. The immediate reaction of those around
      Bolitho, and those who are to hear of it, as fast as news can travel on
      the prevailing wind, were much as I would have expected of the
      individuals, and of the men."

      "Were you depressed?"
      "I felt a great sense of loss, but not depression. It was like being shown
      the way. As Bolitho has done for so many."

      "He knew, didn't he?"
      "He knew, yes. His last words to Allday show that."

      "He knew that this was to be his last action."
      "Yes."

      "Like Nelson."
      "Yes, like Nelson. Nelson definitely knew, which was very apparent from
      his last letter to Emman Hamilton."

      "What happens next? Is this the end?"
      "By no means is this the end. In fact, I'm looking forward to the next
      part of this series very much. It is a challenge to me, and to young Adam
      Bolitho, who must, inevitably, come out from Bolitho's shadaow. A new
      viewpoint, and a new navy."

      Edwin Cuthbert (Postgrad.), Tel : 0797 1198910
      Department of Chemistry, Email: E.R.Cuthbert@...
      University of Reading,
      Whiteknights, Reading,
      Berkshire, RG6 6AH.