Re: [Bolitho] Ann Perry - Female charachters

  • K. Christiansen
    Message 1 of 65 , Jun 22, 2012
      You know I did read Anne Perry for awhile.  Think I like the Monk series best.  Her female characters kind of bug me a little.  The femanist rants that seem a little too modern for the time period, get old.  You can show what she believes by what she does, not so much by what she says.  No preaching!  A lot of modern writers do this unfortunately, you know the barbie doll Ninja warrior, who dresses in designer clothes and kills enemies with her stelleto heels, while swinging a sword around her head.   After about the 20th gets a tad repetitive.  I am all for strong female characters and appealing to a younger audience but you have to make them believable for the time period.  Do you think a woman could really have been a successful doctor/reporter or private investigator in the 18th, 19th or even early 20th century.  Its a stretch, possible, but you really have to convince me of that fact.  For instance the links I posted earlier by Cyrus Townsend Brady they had strong female characters who dressed and acted like men but where still very believable for their time.  My biggest peeve is, I think the fault of movies/TV,  putting current slang or sitcom one liners in characters mouths. Ugh!!  I  wrote "believable" a few times in the above a guess that is the main point.  Strong and believable characters male, female, alien....whatever.  On the other hand you can go the other way and get a little to carried away with period detail and lose the story.  Storyteller first historian second. - KC

      From: K. Christiansen <kcstpaul@...>
      To: "Bolitho@yahoogroups.com" <Bolitho@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Thursday, June 21, 2012, 9:36 PM

      Correct me if I am wrong.  Halfhyde series is WWI.  Cameron series is WWII.  Kemp or "Convoy" series is WWII.  Tom Chatto series starts out in sail into steam.

      This link says there are more that I haven't read yet to include a spy series.

      http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/192938.Philip_McCutchan

      KC

      "The battle is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the active, the brave." --Patrick Henry

      Message 65 of 65 , Jun 28, 2012

        I in the middle of one of those ww1 books it in e book and I had a break from e books reading mainly ab.

        Bronwyn

        From: herewardsgal1 <millymolly80@...>
        Subject: [Bolitho] Re: was Anne Perry -recommendations
        To: Bolitho@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Wednesday, June 27, 2012, 10:53 AM

        I am a great enthusiast of Anne Perry's books, too, particularly the Monk series.  Drawn to the masts and yards on the cover of "A shifting tide"  I spotted in a charity shop for a few pence, I was so captivated by her writing and Monk himself, that I had to ferret out the earlier books and found I knew more about Monk than he did himself. ;)

        I am waiting for the latest "A sunless sea" .  I am next on the list with a reservation placed with Cambs Libraries.

        - Cookie   aka.....

        --- In Bolitho@yahoogroups.com, "K. Christiansen" <kcstpaul@...> wrote:

        > Hi, Yes I read those too! I agree with you I like the Hoare books much
        better too bad the author passed away.  There are a couple of Mystery writers who I have found who have written during the Regency time period even though they are not AOS.  Three who I think are good are:  C.S. Harris, The Sebastian St.Cyr Mysteries ,The Julian Kestrel mysteries by Kate Ross (unfortunately passed away as well), The Captain Lacey Regency Mysteries, by Ashley Gardner, Army Captain instead of Navy.  Speaking of Army officers I also like the series by C.C. Humphreys about Jack Absolute, earlier time period pre-Revolutionary.  All I can think of right off the top of my head.  - KC

        > ________________________________

        Elizabeth George also with her Inspector Lynley series although it is contemporary.
        >   Did you know that there was a Age of Sail mystery series, the
        Captain Justice series? It isn't stellar, but it's not bad either. There is also the three Captain Hoare books as well. He is an officer who sustained a throat injury that left him with only a whisper. Since a captain needed a robust voice to make his orders heard, he is assigned now to investigations for the Admiralty. I enjoyed them. The author's last name is Perkins; I don't recall the first name right now.

        > Meredith Lahmann
        >
        > "The battle is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the
        active, the brave." --Patrick Henry

        you get up to around ten books in a series it starts to get repetitive.  My favorite mystery writer at present is Charles Todd.  He has written about a dozen now and they are reprinting some of his earlier works and I am looking at them trying to remember if I had read them already.  His main character Rutledge is kind of like Monk (amnesia) but has PSD from fighting in WWI..  I have gotten my roommate to start reading him.  He has written three books in a series about a nurse in WWI who is the main character.  Both Perry and Todd do write good mystery stories in that you don't figure out who did it by the 2nd chapter always a plus!  I think I have been more satisfied lately with the female characters in historical mystery novels.

        > >KC
        > >

        > >________________________________

        doctor and Marie Curie a successful scientist in this time and countless others who were never given much space in textbooks, but that does not change the fact that Perry repeats her basic arguments too often. Part of that, however, is a limitation of the series format. The author always has to provide for the reader who has come into the series late and missed the basics. That is why there are explanations of the preparations of preparing to beat to quarters in every age of sail novel. How many times have we all read that the partitions are taken down, the captain's furniture brought downstairs, etc.
        > >  As a college student, I used to microfilm documents for the
        history department. One large project was on the early suffragette movement. I read as a photographed. The
        > journals recounted the
        > constant battle, and the repetitive nature of them to move ahead. So,
        Perry might not be so far off even if it is annoying.
        > >  I totally concur with new movies like King Arthur turning
        Gwynevere into a shield maiden. One has to wonder if the makers of the film ever even read the legends.

        Bolitho@yahoogroups.com

        __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 7252 (20120627) __________

        http://www.eset.com