Patrick O'Brian Fan

  • sueedgecombe
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2011
      Hello
      My name is Sue and I live in New Zealand. Recently I was introduced to Jack Aubrey and friends and am currently devouring my way through the 7th novel in the series. I have not read a great deal of nautical fiction before so was suprised at how much I am enjoying this new (old) frontier. I am hoping that in your group there will be other new converts and maybe someone who can decipher some of the more obscure terminology I have come across??
      Looking forward to chatting with someone
      Regards
      Sue
    • herewardsgal1
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2011
        ....Welcome to the group, Sue!

        Now, if anything can evoke positive thoughts, it is the mention of PO'B!
        I, personally, am a great enthusisast of the Aubrey novels, others, perhaps not.

        I'm sure, between us, we can help you with your queries.

        - Cookie
        aka Mary/Mil ...

        --- In Bolitho@yahoogroups.com, "sueedgecombe" <sueedgecombe@...> wrote:

        > Hello
        > My name is Sue and I live in New Zealand. Recently I was introduced to Jack Aubrey and friends and am currently devouring my way through the 7th novel in the series. I have not read a great deal of nautical fiction before so was suprised at how much I am enjoying this new (old) frontier. I am hoping that in your group there will be other new converts and maybe someone who can decipher some of the more obscure terminology I have come across??
        > Looking forward to chatting with someone
        > Regards
        > Sue

      • jim davis
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2011
          There are some people here with amazing amounts of knowledge on some of the terms and usages.
          Jim D

          Now, if anything can evoke positive thoughts, it is the mention of PO'B!
          I, personally, am a great enthusisast of the Aubrey novels, others, perhaps not.

          I'm sure, between us, we can help you with your queries.

          - Cookie
          aka Mary/Mil ...

          --- In Bolitho@yahoogroups.com, "sueedgecombe" <sueedgecombe@...> wrote:

          > Hello
          > My name is Sue and I live in New Zealand. Recently I was introduced to Jack Aubrey and friends and am currently devouring my way through the 7th novel in the series. I have not read a great deal of nautical fiction before so was suprised at how much I am enjoying this new (old) frontier. I am hoping that in your group there will be other new converts and maybe someone who can decipher some of the more obscure terminology I have come across??
          > Looking forward to chatting with someone
          > Regards
          > Sue

        • Bronwyn Tindall
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2011

            Hisue

            Which part of nz are you in?i in wellington.i loved aos for years.pob I always found harderto read than the others.i interloaned a very good non fiction book.it was brian laverys book on the service.it got tons of info about different ranks and other thinabout the royal navy.someone else might know the titile.it was actually the a and e hornblower series that gor me started on the hornblower novels and I was hooked.

            Bronwyn

            My name is Sue and I live in New Zealand. Recently I was introduced to Jack Aubrey and friends and am currently devouring my way through the 7th novel in the series. I have not read a great deal of nautical fiction before so was suprised at how much I am enjoying this new (old) frontier. I am hoping that in your group there will be other new converts and maybe someone who can decipher some of the more obscure terminology I have come across??
            Looking forward to chatting with someone
            Regards
            Sue

            __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 6593 (20111101) __________

            http://www.eset.com

          • meredith lahmann
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 2, 2011
              Another resource you might wish to get is a book called "A Sea of Words." It was written as a companion to O'Brien. It not only has nautical terms but some of the medical terms used in that time as well. I thing you will find it a valuable resource.

              Meredith Lahmann

              "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech at the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788