Mercury (again)

  • the7970
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4, 2011
      Hello,
      Reading back again through the old posts here was a lot on the Mercury as medicine thing - did anyone else read the Beau Brummell biography by Ian Kelly?
      Exceptional. Well worth a read for 18thCentury immersion. Utterly fascinating. London, Eaton, Whites, Shopping, Debt, Dancing, Shaving, Horses, Living in France to avoid debtors (like poor old Emma Hamilton)... You should be able to get it in libraries. It is very rounded rather than just being about one chap - the trouble with a lot of biography - and his circle was very wide.
      The mercury thing is dealt with in there too...
      Not entirely pertinent to naval fiction but VERY pertinent to the era - it colours-in a lot of the period background.
    • herewardsgal1
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 6, 2011
        No, I haven't read Kelly's bio of Brummell but I have it recommended to me by a friend as essential reading for anyone interested in the era, not just the navy itself.

        I have a high list of must-read titles at the moment but I will certainly keep an eye for the Kelly book as it is one I would like to own for reference.

        - Cookie
        aka Mary......