Re: [Bolitho] Future Master?

  • Carol Buckles
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1, 2010
      And I am a Johnny Reb.  We are also lovable.

      Carol Kerr Buckles

      Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow." ~ Mary Anne Radmacher

      From: Brian Ruby <f2cslalom@yahoo. com>
      To: Bolitho@yahoogroups .com
      Date: Wednesday, June 30, 2010, 8:49 PM

      Fair enough.  I'm tempted to say the English have the Irish and us Yanks have Johnny Reb...  But I like the Irish.  ;)

      From: Brian Ruby <f2cslalom@yahoo. com>
      To: Bolitho@yahoogroups .com
      Date: Wednesday, June 30, 2010, 5:29 PM

      A well-written novel makes me root for the hero, regardless of whose side he's on or who he is fighting.  When I was younger though, I remember feeling a little guilty about rooting for Bolitho against my own countrymen.

      From: meredith lahmann <m_lahmann@yahoo. com>
      To: Bolitho@yahoogroups .com
      Date: Tuesday, June 29, 2010, 7:14 PM

      Having an American as a main character may provide good sales in America! :)

      From: timoneer2001 <timoneer2001@ yahoo.com>
      Subject: [Bolitho] Future Master?
      To: Bolitho@yahoogroups .com
      Date: Monday, June 28, 2010, 9:21 PM

      Who would you suggest might possibly be a future master writer of the
      AoS genre?

      The Age of Sail already has a number of successful "masters" that
      probably includes (but certainly not limited to): Alexander Kent/Reeman,
      Patrick O'Brian, C. S. Forester, C. Northcote Parkinson, W. Clark
      Russell, Richard Woodman, Frederick Marryat, and Dudley Pope.

      There are also a number of other greatly successful "more modern"
      authors like: Dewey Lambdin, Julian Stockwin, David Donachie and maybe
      others who might easily slip into the master category.

      Who's next?

      Is there a newer AoS author (with maybe only a few novels published)
      that you think is especially interesting and who might be climbing the
      ladder toward becoming a future master? I would like to read such an
      author.

      I think J. E. Fender and his (Geoffrey) Frost Saga is worth watching. I
      realize that Fender has two strikes against him since he is an American
      novelist writing about an American protagonist. However, I like his
      stories and his characters.

    • jim davis
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1, 2010
        True;  I moved to TX from southern California, so I claim that counts. I only wish the first Gov Brown had preserved the USS California.  .
        Checked my local library and no new AoS novels. I still have 2 1/2 Drinkwaters to read but I guess its time to order a couple Bolitho.  From comments others have made, I take it the series gets a darker feel to it?  I read one review of (IIRC ) beyond the reef, that said the author sounded like he was having problems at home when he wrote it.  So I decided to slip that one,  And I gathered that Bolitho is killed in the last book...Big mistake I think.  Never kill off your main character  Once you write a novel with him dead, the character is dead to the readers and you cant go back and slip a few adventures in.  Or at least that is my feelings on it.
        Jim

        ---

        From: Carol Buckles <carolbuckles@...>
        To: Bolitho@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Thursday, July 1, 2010, 5:36 AM

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 1, 2010
          The series does develop an dark and twilight cast to it, but it is worth reading straight through--I think Adam is enough of a character in his own right to justify the time.

          And though Boston-born and bred, having been reborn at Parris Island, I consider myself beyond the North/South feud (although, if it weren't for Boston and VA, we'd still be subjects to the Queen).  I've also ended up in Texas.

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 1, 2010
            I dont think of it as a feud, more like bugging your  brother about having an ugly girl friend.  When shes not.    If she was ugly you would not mention it.