Ahoy, Bolithos!

  • Mary M Goose
    Message 1 of 14 , May 10, 2009
      We have some new members; let's show them there are still some of us around, eh!?

      Reading-wise, I've just tackled Seth Hunter's "The Time of Terror"....anyone else read it? Opinions?

      I'm currently reading Donachie's latest in the John Pearce series, "The Admirals' Game" and really enjoying it.

      - Cookie
      aka.....
    • Robert Squarebriggs
      Message 2 of 14 , May 11, 2009
        Ahoy Captain Cookie Goose and crew,

        Been reading some books on the American Old West lately, Larry McMurrty's books: Dead Man's Walk, Comanche Moon, Lonesome Dove, Streetes of Loredo, Sin Killer and some others.  Also along the Western theme, some by Terry C. Johnston:  Buffalo Place, Crack in the Sky, Dream Catcher, Death Rattle, Ride the Moon Down.

        Just about as far from nautical fiction than you can get, but good, well told stories they are.  Historical fiction I suppose.  Got tired of waiting for Julian to release another book in the Kydd tales!!!  LOL  I do so enjoy his writing.

        Just recieved the latest by Wilbur Smith, the writer about Africa, so that should be worth the wait.

        I remain..................

        Admiral Sir Robert .......................aka :  Bob

        We have some new members; let's show them there are still some of us around, eh!?

        Reading-wise, I've just tackled Seth Hunter's "The Time of Terror"....anyone else read it? Opinions?

        I'm currently reading Donachie's latest in the John Pearce series, "The Admirals' Game" and really enjoying it.

        - Cookie
        aka.....

      • mpgutis
        Message 3 of 14 , May 11, 2009
          Welcome to all the new folks!

          I've been reading my way through Robert B. Parker's Jesse Stone and Sunny Randall mystery novels and have continued on with POB's The Surgeon's Mate.

          Mark G.

          Message 4 of 14 , May 11, 2009
            Welcome Aboard to our new mates.....I am not actually reading right now but just completed writing a small nonfiction book for the pirate cruise ship Black Raven (only sold in the ship's gift shop) "St. Augustine Pirate Tales from the Black Raven" and am just now starting a children's fiction book for the ship ("Voyage of the Black Raven".)

            The Nathan Beauchamp books are still selling world wide but I have not done much with the 3rd book.....and thanks again to those who let me use their names in the story line.
            Best to All
            Joe

            --- In Bolitho@yahoogroups.com, "Mary M Goose" <millymolly80@...> wrote:

            > We have some new members; let's show them there are still some of us around, eh!?
            >
            > Reading-wise, I've just tackled Seth Hunter's "The Time of Terror"....anyone else read it? Opinions?
            >
            > I'm currently reading Donachie's latest in the John Pearce series, "The Admirals' Game" and really enjoying it.
            >

            > - Cookie
            > aka.....

          • intl desk
            Message 5 of 14 , May 11, 2009
              Welcome aboard.

              For Joe, pls don't give up on #3.

              Et al, not much nautical fiction lately--lots of Stewart Woods and Robert Tanenbaum.  Waiting on the next James McGee in the Hawkwood series (though most of Rapscallion was set on a prison hulk).  Hawkwood is a Bow Street Runner--arguably the first organized police department, and he carries his London police commission in his hollowed out police truncheon.

              I'll likely reread the Bolitho series this summer, such good stuff.

              Best,

              Leo

              To: Bolitho@yahoogroups.com
              From: joe@...
              Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 00:47:00 +0000
              Subject: [Bolitho] Re: Ahoy, Bolithos!

              Welcome Aboard to our new mates.....I am not actually reading right now but just completed writing a small nonfiction book for the pirate cruise ship Black Raven (only sold in the ship's gift shop) "St. Augustine Pirate Tales from the Black Raven" and am just now starting a children's fiction book for the ship ("Voyage of the Black Raven".)

              The Nathan Beauchamp books are still selling world wide but I have not done much with the 3rd book.....and thanks again to those who let me use their names in the story line.
              Best to All
              Joe

              --- In Bolitho@yahoogroups .com, "Mary M Goose" <millymolly80@ ...> wrote:

              > We have some new members; let's show them there are still some of us around, eh!?
              >
              > Reading-wise, I've just tackled Seth Hunter's "The Time of Terror"....anyone else read it? Opinions?
              >
              > I'm currently reading Donachie's latest in the John Pearce series, "The Admirals' Game" and really enjoying it.
              >

              > - Cookie
              > aka.....

            • weeboopiper
              Message 6 of 14 , May 11, 2009
                Working to preserve the Falls of Clyde (www.friendsoffallsofclyde.org). It's like a second full-time job. In the free time I have left, still reading AoS. Currently finishing off Victor Suthren's "Royal Yankee" and starting on Peter Carter's "The Sentinels" (RN anti-slavery).

                Susan

                --- In Bolitho@yahoogroups.com, "Mary M Goose" <millymolly80@...> wrote:

                > We have some new members; let's show them there are still some of us around, eh!?
                >
                > Reading-wise, I've just tackled Seth Hunter's "The Time of Terror"....anyone else read it? Opinions?
                >
                > I'm currently reading Donachie's latest in the John Pearce series, "The Admirals' Game" and really enjoying it.

              • Bronwyn Tindall
                Message 7 of 14 , May 11, 2009

                  I finally found a source for age of sail audio books ans have been hacving some fun with it.

                  Reading dewey lambdifor the first time and enjoying it more now I know a little bit more of the period.also a young adult book I found callblue tattoo byla mayer a series odf 3 books abvout a girl dias a midshipmenstill working my way through james axler outlanders series by graphic audio.

                  Bronwyn

                  From: joe@...
                  Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 00:47:00 +0000

                  __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4066 (20090512) __________

                  http://www.eset.com

                  Message 8 of 14 , May 12, 2009
                    --- In Bolitho@yahoogroups.com, intl desk <dovergroup@...> wrote:

                    > Waiting on the next James McGee in the Hawkwood series (though most of Rapscallion was set on a prison hulk). Hawkwood is a Bow Street Runner--arguably the first organized police department, and he carries his London police commission in his hollowed out police truncheon.
                    >
                    > I'll likely reread the Bolitho series this summer, such good stuff.
                    >
                    > Best,
                    Leo

                    .....Hello, Leo!

                    I like reading McGee, too. Any idea when his next title is coming out, please?

                    Reagards
                    - Cookie
                    aka ....
                  • Simon nobbs
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 12, 2009
                      Ahoy the Group,

                      I have just finished reading a Richard Woodman Omnibus of the first 3 Nathaniel Drinkwater books (An Eye of the Fleet, A Kings Cutter and A Brig of War). I had only previously read 'The Bomb Vessel' from this series and was very pleasantly susprised at how enjoyable a read this turned out to be

                      Regards

                      Simon

                      To: Bolitho@yahoogroups.com
                      From: millymolly80@...
                      Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 05:49:49 +0000

                      We have some new members; let's show them there are still some of us around, eh!?

                      Reading-wise, I've just tackled Seth Hunter's "The Time of Terror"....anyone else read it? Opinions?

                      I'm currently reading Donachie's latest in the John Pearce series, "The Admirals' Game" and really enjoying it.

                      - Cookie
                      aka.....

                      Surfing the web just got more rewarding. Download the New Internet Explorer 8
                    • intl desk
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 12, 2009
                        Cookie,

                        James McGee (Glen Moy) has written a book a year since he started the Hawkwood series in 2006-Rapscallion was published in Feb 2008 so we can only hope.   If you are looking for something to tide you over, so to speak, you can do worse than Bernard Cornwell's archer series--the latest being Agincourt.

                        Leo

                        To: Bolitho@yahoogroups.com
                        From: millymolly80@...
                        Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 10:54:41 +0000
                        Subject: [Bolitho] James McGee (was)Re: Ahoy, Bolithos!

                        --- In Bolitho@yahoogroups .com, intl desk <dovergroup@ ...> wrote:

                        > Waiting on the next James McGee in the Hawkwood series (though most of Rapscallion was set on a prison hulk). Hawkwood is a Bow Street Runner--arguably the first organized police department, and he carries his London police commission in his hollowed out police truncheon.
                        >
                        > I'll likely reread the Bolitho series this summer, such good stuff.
                        >
                        > Best,
                        Leo

                        .....Hello, Leo!

                        I like reading McGee, too. Any idea when his next title is coming out, please?

                        Reagards
                        - Cookie
                        aka ....

                      • Dave
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 12, 2009
                          Dave Bennett
                          Aldergrove, BC

                          "I like nonsense -- it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living. It's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope...and that enables you to laugh at all of life's realities." - Theodor S. Geisel (aka Dr. Suess)

                          >------- Original Message Follows -------
                          >From: Simon nobbs
                          >
                          >I have just finished reading a Richard Woodman Omnibus of the first 3
                          >Nathaniel Drinkwater books (An Eye of the Fleet, A Kings Cutter and A
                          >Brig of War). I had only previously read 'The Bomb Vessel' from this series
                          >and was very pleasantly susprised at how enjoyable a read this
                          >turned out to be

                          I think Woodman is my second favourite AoS author, next to Dudley Pope. I'll have to keep an eye out for that omnibus as there is at least one title there I think I've missed.
                        • Brian Ruby
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 12, 2009
                            Welcome aboard!

                            I haven't been reading much fiction lately--although I burned through John Scalzi's 1st three (I think there more now) Old Man's War books; excellent sci-fi in the Heinlein vein.

                            The nonfiction I've been engrossed in is about Marines and Iraq.  One Bullet Away, by Nathan Fick, Generation Kill, by Evan something or another and Imperial Grunts by Roger Kaplan.  All excellent books, very thought provoking and a little disturbing in their authenticity.

                            To: Bolitho@yahoogroups .com
                            From: millymolly80@ hotmail.com
                            Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 10:54:41 +0000

                            Message 13 of 14 , May 12, 2009
                              Have you tried those of Andrew Pepper? Nothing remotely naval, but about another Bow Street Runner. His Pyke character is much more ruthless.

                              http://www.orionbooks.co.uk/13191-1/Author-Andrew-Pepper.htm

                              - Cookie
                              aka......

                              --- In Bolitho@yahoogroups.com, intl desk <dovergroup@...> wrote:

                              > Cookie,
                              >

                              > James McGee (Glen Moy) has written a book a year since he started the Hawkwood series in 2006-Rapscallion was published in Feb 2008 so we can only hope. If you are looking for something to tide you over, so to speak, you can do worse than Bernard Cornwell's archer series--the latest being Agincourt.
                              >

                              > Leo
                              >

                              > To: Bolitho@yahoogroups.com
                              > From: millymolly80@...
                              > Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 10:54:41 +0000
                              > Subject: [Bolitho] James McGee (was)Re: Ahoy, Bolithos!
                              >

                              > --- In Bolitho@yahoogroups.com, intl desk <dovergroup@> wrote:
                              >
                              > > Waiting on the next James McGee in the Hawkwood series (though most of Rapscallion was set on a prison hulk). Hawkwood is a Bow Street Runner--arguably the first organized police department, and he carries his London police commission in his hollowed out police truncheon.
                              > >
                              > > I'll likely reread the Bolitho series this summer, such good stuff.
                              > >
                              > > Best,
                              > Leo
                              >

                              > .....Hello, Leo!
                              >
                              > I like reading McGee, too. Any idea when his next title is coming out, please?
                              >
                              > Reagards
                              > - Cookie
                              > aka ....

                              > Insert movie times and more without leaving Hotmail®.
                              > http://windowslive.com/Tutorial/Hotmail/QuickAdd?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_Tutorial_QuickAdd1_052009

                            • Simon nobbs
                              Message 14 of 14 , May 14, 2009

                                Hi Dave,
                                My copy was an old paperback I found at a second hand bookshop. It was published in 2000 by Warner Books in the UK,

                                Simon

                                To: Bolitho@yahoogroups.com
                                From: dpbennett@...
                                Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 16:40:01 -0700