Old Navy Marines???

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2008
      Greetings All,

      I had not long ago finished Douglas Reeman's excellent Blackwood
      Family Sagas and have been wondering and searching ever since for any
      other tales centered around the Marines of the old navies. Does anyone
      here by chance recall any??? No matter whether Royal, US or other as
      long as its a good read. Best if Sail to pre-WWI eras. Suggestions???

      Fantastic Fiction – Douglas Reeman
      http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/r/douglas-reeman/

      Keep It FUN!

      Dan G
    • intl desk
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2008
        Check the books written by David Donachie as Tom Connery, they all have honor (perhaps spelled Honour) in the title.   And you could do worse than the Matthew Hervey series by Allan Mallinson, though Hervey is a cavalry officer in the early 1800's, not a marine but also superior writing and research.

        Leo

        To: Bolitho@yahoogroups.com
        From: grauwulf@...
        Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 14:59:26 +0000
        Subject: [Bolitho] Old Navy Marines???

        Greetings All,

        I had not long ago finished Douglas Reeman's excellent Blackwood
        Family Sagas and have been wondering and searching ever since for any
        other tales centered around the Marines of the old navies. Does anyone
        here by chance recall any??? No matter whether Royal, US or other as
        long as its a good read. Best if Sail to pre-WWI eras. Suggestions? ??

        Fantastic Fiction – Douglas Reeman
        http://www.fantasti cfiction. co.uk/r/douglas- reeman/

        Keep It FUN!

        Dan G

        Store, manage and share up to 5GB with Windows Live SkyDrive. Start uploading now
      • Dan
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 9, 2008
          Greetings Leo and All,

          Thanks for the tip on David Donachie /Tom Connery and his Honour series!

          Mallinson has been on my Got-To-Read list for a bit now. (Who can turn
          away from a good cavalry charge? --LOL) Though I do seem to keep
          getting thrown off on to other things. But Soon!

          I just find it surprising that there does not seem to be more Marine
          sea stories from the age of sail. It just seems like such a natural

          Keep It FUN!

          Dan G