RE: [Bolitho] New Guy On Board

  • Greg Boop
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 3, 2008

      Welcome aboard…  I still pop in to read but have been busy getting a start-up company of the ground (www.hingefire.com)

      I hope to have some more time in the future to join the discussion about the Bolitho books and the age of sail…. This is a great group!

      Thanks,

      - Greg B.

      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 4, 2008
        Greg,
            It all looks very professional, good luck with your venture.

        Phil Waters

        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 15, 2008
          Hi all,

          De lurking to thank our illustrious admiral for a book which arrived today.

          I had no Idea that Admiral Bob had recommended me to review the book which took me by surprise after a call to the publishers. It does look an interesting read, but as I am in the middle of the latest Clive Cussler I'm afraid that my review will be delayed a little.

          A novel from the French perspective is very interesting and I do honestly look forwards to starting it.

          Thanks Bob for the very nice surprise!

          And now a surprise for Bob.

          I know you prefer to build ships from scratch, but I have some information for you regarding a new wood ship kit coming onto the market.
          Here's a link and I'm sure you'll be interested given the subject and I'm sure a third rate is coming.

          New home port for you all!
          Yes.. I've moved into my new house and settled nicely. My new address is this:

          29 Goose Hill
          Heckmondwike
          West Yorkshire
          England
          WF16 9EE

          Guest Room available for Visitors. All welcome to come and visit! Don't be shy but please give plenty of advanced warning.

          Captain Sir James

        • Robert Squarebriggs
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 15, 2008
            You are welcome Sir James.  The publisher contacted me and asked for the names of some folks who might enjoy the read and be able to offer them some feedback on the book.  I provided them with the names and addresses of several of our members who I though might be able to help and might enjoy the service.  I didn't have everyone's address, sorry,  so I had to limit the list to those that I still had a mailing address on.

            Thanks for the link James, I had heard Caldercraft/Jotika was considering a model of H.M.S. Surprise, I'm glad they went for it!  Nice ship.  I hope you are still making models and enjoying the hobby.

            I remain....................

            Bob......................aka..................Admiral Sir Robert

            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 15, 2008
              Hi Bob,

              I am still making models and at the moment working on a 1/200 scale Bismarck in wood, plastic & etched brass detail work. It's a huge model with lots of detail and as a partwork issue I get parts and instructions for the kit over 140 weeks. I know that you prefer to make your ships from scratch, but do you think I could entice you to a kit of HMS Surprise when it's released??

              James

              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 16, 2008
                Yet another very pleasantly surprised member!! My copy has just arrived , many thanks Bob - I look forward to reading it and comparing my views with others in the Group,
                Much appreciated

                Simon

                To: Bolitho@yahoogroups.com
                From: squbrigg@...
                Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 16:49:49 -0300

[...]

                Make a mini you on Windows Live Messenger! Try it Now!
              • Robert Squarebriggs
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 16, 2008
                  You are welcome Simon.  I hope you enjoy it and let us know what you think, and the publisher of course.

                  I remain.......................

                  Bob

                  Yet another very pleasantly surprised member!! My copy has just arrived , many thanks Bob - I look forward to reading it and comparing my views with others in the Group,
                  Much appreciated

                  Simon

                  .

                • Margaret Muir
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 17, 2008
                    I'm afraid I am all at sea here with talk of The Antigallican.
                    Perhaps I missed something somewhere along the line.
                    I've just looked on Amazon and find a book of that name due out in
                    September written by Tom Bowling.
                    Are we looking at a pseudonym here?
                    If I'm right, why not give it a plug?

                    Marg Muir
                    http://www.margaretmuirauthor.blogspot.com
                  • Robert Squarebriggs
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 17, 2008
                      Marg, the books that some are mentioning are pre-release copies, sent by the publisher,who had requested of me,some names and addresses of some of our Bolitho Group members that might be able to offer some feedback on the book, prior to it's general release.  I am sorry that not all members will recieve an advanced copy, I only had the addresses of some of the long/early service members in my address book, from when we had exchanged some articles years ago.

                      I look forward to hearing about the book myself, as I have not recieved a copy yet.  The publisher is in the UK and I am in Canada, so our UK members have recieved their copy earlier than I.

                      Bob