Best Books of the Year

  • phil_waters2000
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 9, 2007
      Well my friends December is upon us, and according the log attached to
      the group, there has not been one posting all the month so far. So it
      is now time to discuss our best books of the year. I suggested four
      categories and Cookie (Thank you Cookie) suggested a fifth so here
      goes.

      1. What was the best Fiction read of the year?
      2. What was the best Non Fiction read of the year?
      3. What was the biggest disapointment/hardest to read book you tried
      this year.
      4. What was you best 'Age of Sail' book that you read this year,
      5, Which book have you asked Father Christmas to bring for you at
      Christmas?

      Happy Christmas one and all.

      Phil Waters
    • Mark Gutis
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 9, 2007
        1. What was the best Fiction read of the year?
            "Temeraire" by Naomi Novick
        2. What was the best Non Fiction read of the year?
            A toss-up among John Dean's "Worse Than Watergate", "Conservatives Without Consciences" and "Broken Government"
        3. What was the biggest disapointment/ hardest to read book you tried
        this year.
             Carlo d'Este's "Decision in Normandy". Tried three times to get through it and three times put it down.
        4. What was you best 'Age of Sail' book that you read this year,
              David Donachie's "Nelson and Emma" trilogy (OK, I read the last one this year)
        5, Which book have you asked Father Christmas to bring for you at
        Christmas?
              Santa knows better than to bring me any books. I've probably already bought everything I want.

        Mark G.
      • Mary M Goose
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 10, 2007
          ......I'm getting my brain into gear on the questions....watch this
          space....

          Regards
          - Cookie
          aka.......

          --- In Bolitho@yahoogroups.com, "phil_waters2000" <phil.waters@...>
          wrote:

          > Well my friends December is upon us, and according the log attached
          > the group, there has not been one posting all the month so far. So
          it
          > is now time to discuss our best books of the year. I suggested four
          > categories and Cookie (Thank you Cookie) suggested a fifth so here
          > goes.
          >
          > 1. What was the best Fiction read of the year?
          > 2. What was the best Non Fiction read of the year?
          > 3. What was the biggest disapointment/hardest to read book you
          tried
          > this year.
          > 4. What was you best 'Age of Sail' book that you read this year,
          > 5, Which book have you asked Father Christmas to bring for you at
          > Christmas?
          >
          > Happy Christmas one and all.
          >
          > Phil Waters

        • Robert Squarebriggs
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 10, 2007
            Thank you Phil, we don't seem to be having the steady flow of messages we
            once had, and I assume that folks interest have changed. With that in mind,
            let me ask everyone: "Has our time come? Is it time to close out the site
            and go our seperate ways?"

            I am in the middle of reading the entire Bolitho series over again, am up to
            "Passage to Mutiny", and am enjoying every moment of it.

            Bob

            ps: my submissions below

            > 1. What was the best Fiction read of the year? ..... "The Admirals
            > Daughter" by Julian Stockwin
            > 2. What was the best Non Fiction read of the year? ....... "A Race For
            > Real Sailors" by Keith McLaren
            > 3. What was the hardest to read book you tried this year .............
            > "Coronache" by Kimberly Reeman
            > 4. What was you best 'Age of Sail' book that you read this year,
            > ........... "The Admiral's Daughter" by J.S.
            > 5, Which book have you asked Father Christmas to bring for you at
            > Christmas? ........... next book by Julian Stockwin......... have Santa
            > Claus get him to write faster!
          • Robert Squarebriggs
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 10, 2007
              Good to see you back Mary. I'm dieing to hear about your trip, but keep
              missing you on line.

              Yours,

              Bob
              aka... Admiral Sir Robert

              > ......I'm getting my brain into gear on the questions....watch this
              > space....
              >
              > Regards
              > - Cookie
              > aka.......
            • Joe
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 11, 2007
                Sir I beg thee to not close our link to each other......I, like many
                others have been somewhat busy but have been reading the posts.....

                I must admit I have swung back to the dark side and have been involved
                in the reading and studying piracy...in fact I have gathered quite a
                collection of pirate and nautical plunder and have been doing a bit of
                pirate reenacting..
                .
                Here is some of my collection.
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/piratejoe/sets/72157600935604189/show/

                and here are some of my pirate events.

                http://josephlosteen.com/000pictures/sbpss/photos.html

                I may be behind in my reading of naval fiction but have just
                received Tenacious and am enjoying it much more than Stockwin's
                earlier books. Tom has grown so much,his cure to keep the ship from
                hogging was a fix that I had never heard of before.

                Anyway keep "We Happy Few" going and I will do my best to join in more
                often.
                Captain Viper,
                on station in British Florida.

                --- In Bolitho@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Squarebriggs" <squbrigg@...>

                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 11, 2007
                  Thanks for your input, Joe .... appreciated!

                  Does anyone else have an opinion, please?

                  Regards
                  - Cookie
                  aka.....

                  --- In Bolitho@yahoogroups.com, "Joe" <joe@...> wrote:

                  > Sir I beg thee to not close our link to each other......I, like many
                  > others have been somewhat busy but have been reading the posts.....
                  >
                  > I must admit I have swung back to the dark side and have been
                  involved
                  > in the reading and studying piracy...in fact I have gathered quite a
                  > collection of pirate and nautical plunder and have been doing a bit
                  of
                  > pirate reenacting..
                  > .
                  > Here is some of my collection.
                  > http://www.flickr.com/photos/piratejoe/sets/72157600935604189/show/
                  >
                  > and here are some of my pirate events.
                  >
                  > http://josephlosteen.com/000pictures/sbpss/photos.html
                  >
                  > I may be behind in my reading of naval fiction but have just
                  > received Tenacious and am enjoying it much more than Stockwin's
                  > earlier books. Tom has grown so much,his cure to keep the ship from
                  > hogging was a fix that I had never heard of before.
                  >
                  > Anyway keep "We Happy Few" going and I will do my best to join in
                  more
                  > often.
                  > Captain Viper,
                  > on station in British Florida.
                  >

                  > --- In Bolitho@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Squarebriggs" <squbrigg@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Thank you Phil, we don't seem to be having the steady flow of
                  > messages we
                  > > once had, and I assume that folks interest have changed. With
                  that
                  > in mind,
                  > > let me ask everyone: "Has our time come? Is it time to close out
                  > the site
                  > > and go our seperate ways?"
                  > >
                  > > I am in the middle of reading the entire Bolitho series over
                  again,
                  > am up to
                  > > "Passage to Mutiny", and am enjoying every moment of it.
                  > >
                  > > Bob
                  > >
                  > > ps: my submissions below
                  > >
                  > > > 1. What was the best Fiction read of the year? ..... "The
                  Admirals
                  > > > Daughter" by Julian Stockwin
                  > > > 2. What was the best Non Fiction read of the year? ....... "A
                  Race
                  > For
                  > > > Real Sailors" by Keith McLaren
                  > > > 3. What was the hardest to read book you tried this year
                  > > > "Coronache" by Kimberly Reeman
                  > > > 4. What was you best 'Age of Sail' book that you read this
                  year,
                  > > > ........... "The Admiral's Daughter" by J.S.
                  > > > 5, Which book have you asked Father Christmas to bring for you
                  at
                  > > > Christmas? ........... next book by Julian Stockwin.........
                  > have Santa
                  > > > Claus get him to write faster!

                • Brad Ehrke
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 11, 2007

                    Please keep the group going. I love to hear the things that people are up to even if I’m too lazy to post myself. I will finish the latest Captain Brad adventure at some stage as well! Lol

                    Brad

                    href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/piratejoe/sets/72157600935604189/show/">http://www.flickr. com/photos/ piratejoe/ sets/72157600935 604189/show/

                    > and here are some of my pirate events.
                    >
                    > http://josephlostee n.com/000picture s/sbpss/photos. html
                    >
                    > I may be behind in my reading of naval fiction but have just
                    > received Tenacious and am enjoying it much more than Stockwin's
                    > earlier books. Tom has grown so much,his cure to keep the ship from
                    > hogging was a fix that I had never heard of before.
                    >
                    > Anyway keep "We Happy Few" going and I will do my best to join
                    in
                    more
                    > often.
                    > Captain Viper,
                    > on station in British Florida.
                    >

                    > --- In Bolitho@yahoogroups .com,
                    "Robert Squarebriggs" <squbrigg@>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Thank you Phil, we don't seem to be having the steady flow of
                    > messages we
                    > > once had, and I assume that folks interest have changed. With
                    that
                    > in mind,
                    > > let me ask everyone: "Has our time come? Is it time to close out
                    > the site
                    > > and go our seperate ways?"
                    > >
                    > > I am in the middle of reading the entire Bolitho series over
                    again,
                    > am up to
                    > > "Passage to Mutiny", and am enjoying every moment of it.
                    > >
                    > > Bob
                    > >
                    > > ps: my submissions below
                    > >
                    > > > 1. What was the best Fiction read of the year? ..... "The
                    Admirals
                    > > > Daughter" by Julian Stockwin
                    > > > 2. What was the best Non Fiction read of the year? .......
                    "A
                    Race
                    > For
                    > > > Real Sailors" by Keith McLaren
                    > > > 3. What was the hardest to read book you tried this year
                    > ............ .
                    > > > "Coronache" by Kimberly Reeman
                    > > > 4. What was you best 'Age of Sail' book that you read this
                    year,
                    > > > ........... "The Admiral's Daughter" by J.S.
                    > > > 5, Which book have you asked Father
                    Christmas to bring for you
                    at
                    > > > Christmas? ........... next book by Julian Stockwin.... .....
                    > have Santa
                    > > > Claus get him to write faster!

                    Checked by AVG Free Edition.

                    Checked by AVG Free Edition.

                  • Phil Waters
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 12, 2007
                      I would very much like to see the group continue.  Besides Age of Sale we do have other things in common.  Books and a love of history,  and as such we ought to be able to keep in contact with each other.  I do feel as if I have a lot of friends all over the world that I have never met and don't know what they look  like.  Maybe we should as our New Years resolution agree to keep the group together, and in the new year post a little bit about ourselves, and if possible a photo.  That might give us all something further to talk about.  We will find something really interesting about each one of us I am sure.

                      As I like four questions how about these?

                      1.  Where do you live
                      2. A brief potted history of your life
                      3. What are you most proud of in your life.
                      4. What are your hobbies.  (We know, for example of the fascinating ship/boat modelling work our admirable Admiral does, what do other folk do)

                      Phil W

                      Please keep the group going. I love to hear the things that people are up to even if I’m too lazy to post myself. I will finish the latest Captain Brad adventure at some stage as well! Lol

                      Brad

                      Thanks for your input, Joe .... appreciated!

                      Does anyone else have an opinion, please?

                      Regards
                      - Cookie
                      aka.....

                      --- In Bolitho@yahoogroups .com, "Joe" <joe@...> wrote:

                      > Sir I beg thee to not close our link to
                      each other......I, like many
                      > others have been somewhat busy but have
                      been reading the posts.....

                      > I must admit I have swung back to
                      the dark side and have been
                      involved
                      > in the reading and studying
                      piracy...in fact I have gathered quite a
                      > collection of pirate and
                      nautical plunder and have been doing a bit
                      of
                      > pirate
                      reenacting..

                      href="http://josephlosteen.com/000pictures/sbpss/photos.html">http://josephlostee n.com/000picture s/sbpss/photos. html

                      href="mailto:Bolitho%40yahoogroups.com">Bolitho@yahoogroups .com, "Robert Squarebriggs" <squbrigg@>

                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 12, 2007
                        Hi every one,
                                Here are my four book answers

                        Best Fiction Book  Badge of Glory  Douglas Reeman  Part of the Royal Marine series.  A tale of Swash and Buckle in the sprit of the best Bolitho stories
                        Best Non Fiction Endurance by Alfred Lansing  The story of Ernest Shackletons Incredible voyage to the Antarctic.  Just a remarkable story.  I could not put it down
                        Biggest disappointment  Band of Brothers Alexander Kent  I was just so disappointed
                        Santa's sack  The Autobiography of Bobby Charlton.  Just published story of the England and Manchester United Footballer who won the World Cup with England in 1966.  Looking forward to reading it Santa. I have been exceptionally good this year honest.

                        Phil W

                        wrote:

                        > Thank
                        you Phil, we don't seem to be having the steady flow of
                        messages we

                        once had, and I assume that folks interest have changed. With that
                        in mind,
                        > let me ask everyone: "Has our time come? Is it time to close out
                        the site
                        > and go our seperate ways?"
                        >
                        > I am in the middle of
                        reading the entire Bolitho series over again,
                        am up to
                        > "Passage to
                        Mutiny", and am enjoying every moment of it.

                        > Bob
                        >
                        > ps: my submissions below
                        >
                        > > 1. What was the best
                        Fiction read of the year? ..... "The Admirals
                        > > Daughter" by Julian
                        Stockwin
                        > > 2. What was the best Non Fiction read of the year? .......
                        "A Race
                        For
                        > > Real Sailors" by Keith McLaren
                        > > 3. What
                        was the hardest to read book you tried this year
                        ............ .
                        > > "Coronache" by Kimberly Reeman
                        > > 4. What was you best 'Age of
                        Sail' book that you read this year,
                        > > ........... "The Admiral's
                        Daughter" by J.S.
                        > > 5, Which book have you asked Father Christmas to
                        bring for you at
                        > > Christmas? ........... next book by Julian
                        Stockwin.... .....
                        have Santa
                        > > Claus get him to write
                        faster!

                      • Robert Squarebriggs
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 12, 2007
                          I am pleased to see the responses.  Good comments or bad, all opinions are welcome and considered.

                          I will wait and see how much of a response we get to the question.  Participation is the life blood of a community like ours.  I am going to post the question again, to all members, (many members have selected "no messages" on their membership preferances) so that all members recieve it.

                          Thank you for your feedback to date.

                          I remain.............

                          Bob
                        • Bronwyn Tindall
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 12, 2007
                            1
                            best book of the year
                            his majesty dragon the left behind series.
                            non fiction is very hard for me to find
                            i still find patrick o brien hard to get into.

                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 18, 2007
                              ....partly in response to Phil's questions, the worst book for me,
                              and the only one that went unread - and it may bring a gasp of horror
                              from folks on here....LOL ... was the Novick book, "Temeraire"!!

                              SHOCK, HORROR, GASP, SHAKES HEAD IN DISBELIEF....lol

                              Mind you, I'm not much of a fantasy reader, but I was prepared to
                              give in a try in view of the rave ratings it was getting, and I was
                              OK with the dragons and stuff, but once they started opening their
                              mouths and talking, that was it for me!

                              However, I'm prepared to have another go at some point when I run out
                              of reading material which will be in the dim distant future thanks to
                              the wonderful amount of material, fiction and non-fiction, that there
                              is to read.

                              Regards for Christmas,

                              - Cookie
                              aka..................
                            • Mark Gutis
                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 18, 2007
                                With regard to talking dragons and other creatures, this is a not uncommon feature of fantasy and SF. The dragons of Tolkien's world talk. The treecats of the Honor Harrington universe are not just intelligent and sentient but empathic and although they have no ability to verbalize, they can communicate by a complex sign language.

                                I thought the ability to converse was one of the most charming things in the Temeraire series. But, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. :)

                                Mark G.

                                Message 15 of 15 , Dec 18, 2007
                                  ...ah, but you like fantasy stuff, Mark, my friend; I know that. LOL
                                  ..I'm just "wooden" on the subject. :)

                                  I know there are plenty of fans of the series, so perhaps they will
                                  chip in as well.

                                  - Cookie -