Fw: Natividad 200th Anniversary Dinner

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 5, 2007
      I'm forwarding this from the Hornblower-L group, in case anyone is interested:

      Natividad 200th Anniversary Dinner

      Posted by: "Steve" hornblower@...

      Sun Nov 4, 2007 9:32 am (PST)

      All
      Next year will mark the 200th anniversary of Hornblower's most famous action
      on 20th and 21st July 1808 when in command of the Frigate Lydia of
      thirty-six guns he engaged and sank the Spanish vessel Natividad of two
      decks and more than twice the force.

      I am proposing a dinner to be held, appropriately, on the eve of action - on
      Saturday 19th July 2008, to remember Hornblower's illustrious career and the
      wonderful books that CS Forester wrote about him.

      The dinner is proposed at the Portsmouth Historic
      <http://www.historic dockyard. co.uk/> Dockyard to be preceded by a private
      tour of HMS Victory, the scene of Hornblower's acquittal at the Court
      Martial that followed the surrender of the Sutherland.

      Provisional order of events
      - 17.30 Tour of HMS Victory
      - 19.00 Drinks and canapés, being very careful that you don't eat so much as
      to spoil...
      - 19.30 Dinner
      - inc Guest Speaker
      - Whist (and no dancing)

      * dinner to be in the Nelson Gallery of the Royal Naval Museum,
      overlooking Victory
      * the menu for the evening to be based (so far as is practical) upon
      the dinner held by Admiral Leighton on 5th May 1810 at the Angel in Plymouth
      * the dinner will feature speeches, reminiscences and echoes of
      Hornblower's career.

      ------------
      --------- --------- ----

      OK, and now, back to earth: At this stage I have to admit that all of the
      above is no more than an ambitious plan and a provisional booking that I
      have made at the Dockyard, and which I am holding for the next two weeks.

      The cost of the dinner will depend upon the number of people attending - the
      more the cheaper - but I have in mind a target of about £80 per head,
      depending upon numbers, menu, and whether we could even get any sponsorship.

      And now the point of the email

      * are any of you interested in coming?
      * please can you forward this email to anyone else who might be
      interested?
      * has anyone got any idea what happened to the CS Forester Society,
      whom I would love to get engaged with this idea?
      * anyone like to speak, know anyone who would be able to speak?
      * any ideas / feedback / comments at all?

      I hope this could be a good evening. But if no one is interested I will
      release my booking and slink away embarrassed, like a bomb ketch caught in a
      storm; but without regret for trying for if Hornblower taught me anything
      at all, it's that I'd rather be in trouble, or embarrassed for something I
      did attempt, than for something I didn't

      Steve Axbey
      http://hornblower. sundrymemes. com/
      hornblower@sundryme mes.com

      Dave Bennett
      Aldergrove, BC
      "I like nonsense -- it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living. It's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope...and that enables you to laugh at all of life's realities." - Theodor S. Geisel (aka Dr. Suess)

    • James Goddard
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 6, 2007

        I've seen this on the Hornblower group and am initially interested but not expressed it yet depending on holiday availability and travel & hotel costs... £80 is quite high for dinner... but if includes a tour round Victory after she's closed to the public and cameras are allowed. Those coming from afar will have to factor in travel and accomodation. No idea how to play whist though and is the dress black tie or not??

        Captain Sir James
        HMS Maestro (74)

        Back from Norway... laid up with an inner ear virus!