Where is everyone?

  • Mary M Goose
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 2, 2007
      I would love to put some new life into this list, and I am as guilty
      as anyone for not posting, I'm afraid.

      I realise the Bolitho books are limiting in themselves, but are there
      others that anyone wishes to discuss? I haven't read the new
      Stockwin yet, but have kept fairly abreast of what else is out there -
      this side of the Atlantic, anyhow.

      How are the role players faring? What are your plans? I don't want to
      role play any more but I was keen to see how it would be resurrected
      amongst those who did want to participate again.

      Has anyone been to any places of note in maritime history? I'm
      fortunate enough to be doing a Med cruise from Venice to Barcelona in
      a few weeks time which drops anchor at Livorno (the old Leghorn),
      Elba and Toulon so I shall be pursuing the nautical stuff there and
      may have something to report back on.

      I'd love to see you posting again, as I am sure would any new members
      we have acquired.

      I look forward to hearing from you.

      - Cookie
      aka........
    • Bronwyn Tindall
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 2, 2007
        iam still around.
        star trek role playing kind of took over when thbithis one went into recess.
        namoi novilk is going to keep me quiet for a while.i will be getting the rest when iam back on boadband.as i found her in audio my first choice.
        bronwyn

        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 3, 2007
          Hi Cookie,

          Re your cruise around some of the Mediterranean ports:
          I did a similar cruise 18 months ago and the ship called into Livorno
          (the port for Florence and Pisa).

          Whe we docked I was delighted to see and photograph a very impressive
          operational tall ship but it was not until I was back home that I was
          able to identity it.

          The Ship is the "Amerigo Vespucci" and it is used as the Italian
          naval academy's training ship.

          It is a fully rigged ship of 4,100 tons and was built in Castellamare
          di Stabia in 1930.
          It was named after Amerigo Vespucci, the Florence born navigator who
          the Americas are named after.
          It was Vespucci who recognised that North and South America were
          seperate from Asia - a belief Columbus held until his death.

          Re: > Has anyone been to any places of note in maritime history?

          I've recently moved to Tasmania which has a strong maritime history
          with an immense number of wrecks scattered around it's rugged
          coastline.
          I haven't had time yet to delve into the subject but I will be doing
          before long.

          Regards,
          Marg Muir

          http://www.squidoo.com/tallships
          http://www.squidoo.com/cruisingeurope
          http://www.margaretmuirauthor.blogspot.com
        • Mary M Goose
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 3, 2007
            Thanks for that, Marg. I knew that the Italian naval academy was in
            Livorno, but didn't know of the vessel. It would be nice if she is
            there while I am visiting, or even better, to see her under sail.

            For anyone else who was also unaware of the ship:

            http://www.schoonerman.com/ame-ves.html

            In haste,
            - Cookie
            aka

            --- In Bolitho@yahoogroups.com, "Margaret Muir" <margmuir@...> wrote:

            > Hi Cookie,
            >
            > Re your cruise around some of the Mediterranean ports:
            > I did a similar cruise 18 months ago and the ship called into
            Livorno
            > (the port for Florence and Pisa).
            >
            > Whe we docked I was delighted to see and photograph a very
            impressive
            > operational tall ship but it was not until I was back home that I
            was
            > able to identity it.
            >
            > The Ship is the "Amerigo Vespucci" and it is used as the Italian
            > naval academy's training ship.
            >
            > It is a fully rigged ship of 4,100 tons and was built in
            Castellamare
            > di Stabia in 1930.
            > It was named after Amerigo Vespucci, the Florence born navigator
            who
            > the Americas are named after.
            > It was Vespucci who recognised that North and South America were
            > seperate from Asia - a belief Columbus held until his death.
            >
            > Re: > Has anyone been to any places of note in maritime history?
            >
            > I've recently moved to Tasmania which has a strong maritime history
            > with an immense number of wrecks scattered around it's rugged
            > coastline.
            > I haven't had time yet to delve into the subject but I will be
            doing
            > before long.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Marg Muir
            >
            > http://www.squidoo.com/tallships
            > http://www.squidoo.com/cruisingeurope
            > http://www.margaretmuirauthor.blogspot.com

          • Mark Gutis
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 3, 2007
              I've been to Great Yarmouth (vicariously). My daughter Sara was there over the summer and brought me a Nelson T-shirt and Tom Pocock's bio of him.

              Other than that, things have been a bit tough around here. My father-in-law passed away and we've been dealing with my mother-in-law, funeral services and estate issues. My wife had a car accident two weeks ago and has a broken foot. But other than that, I understand that Mrs. Lincoln really enjoyed the play!

              Mark G.

              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 3, 2007
                Oh, and as far as reading goes, I've been stuck in the Cold War, reading extensively on the development of nuclear weapons and nuclear weapons strategy. I've also been buying and watching seasons of Babylon 5 on DVD.

                Mark G.
              • Simon nobbs
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 3, 2007

                  Ahoy the Group
                  My 'social' reading has been curtailed since my recent job change - I spend so much time staring at a computer screen that I dont have the enthusiasm to read as much at home . However - something that will be a surprise to those of you that know me - I picked up a job lot of brand new Patrick O'Brian paperbacks (10 for £5 - last of the big spenders still!!) and decided to try and read a couple. Now maybe its because I hadnt read any AoS books for a while, but I actually enjoyed the first two (shock horror) -although I havent summoned up the enthusiasm to try the third yet.
                  Away from AoS, my recent DVD collection was swelled on my birthday by both the 'Life on Mars' box sets, and I have been continuing my attempts at improving my fitness by doing a fair bit of running (slow jogging in reality), and in two weeks time I will be attempting my second half marathon of the year.

                  Simon

                • David Bennett
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 3, 2007
                    I'm right here. Reading and writing, but not doing much with role play at
                    the moment. I'll have to take a look at my Erie file and see where it's at.

                    Like Bronwyn, I'm in Novik, reading "Throne of Jade", which I'm finding kind
                    of heavy going.

                    Has anyone read "Under Enemy Colors" by S. Thomas Russell? I ran across it
                    at Chapters the other day and while it looks interesting, $35 is a little
                    much for my budget. If it's worth while, I'll try and nab it from the
                    library.

                    Dave Bennett
                    Aldergrove, BC

                    Express yourself with free Messenger emoticons. Check out
                    freemessengeremoticons.ca
                  • Don Campbell
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 4, 2007
                      Dave, I haven't read "Under Enemy Colors" yet,
                      but I have ordered it. Novik's fourth book
                      in the Temeraire series titled "Empire of Ivory"
                      is ordered also. I just finished "An Awkward
                      Commission" by David Donachie, which I recommend.
                      It is the third book in his John Pearce series.
                      The themes in it are 1. fighting the system (of
                      the Royal Navy), and 2. of someone who hates
                      being where he is but is so very suited and
                      successful at what he is doing, but doesn't
                      yet realize it.

                      I just finished the climax in the Dune series
                      (Sandworms of Dune) and the first six books
                      in the Star Wars: Legacy of the Force series.
                      The next book will be out shortly.

                      Don

                      --- In Bolitho@yahoogroups.com, "David Bennett" <dpbennett1@...>

                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 4, 2007

                        My current bed-time book is Memoirs of a Fighting Captain – the autobiography of Admiral Lord Cochrane.

                        I find some of the snippets quite intriguing (eg how, on several occasions, they fooled enemy vessels (around 1800s) into believing they were not what they were (ie a British naval vessel)).

                        The foot-notes indicate that not all of the events are as Cochrane related them, but I find it hard to imagine that an English officer recording his memoirs would make significant changes to the history of events, just to vary the narrative.

                        Marg Muir

                        http://www.margaretmuirauthor.blogspot.com

                        Checked by AVG Free Edition.

                      • Robert Squarebriggs
                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 4, 2007
                          Good day Captain Cookie Goose!

                          The Admiral is still about, though not as active as he once was. Still
                          fiddling about with his model ships and doing more and more other types of
                          carving of late. Very relaxing!

                          Always has a book on the go, and currently a western novel by Larry McMurtry
                          called "Commanchie Moon" a prequell to the "Lonesome Dove" novel. Just
                          finished reading all the series by Garry Kilworth of the Crimea campaign,
                          featuring Fancy Jack Crossman. Interesting, but no Richard Bolitho,
                          Nicholas Ramage, or Thomas Kydd. I do recommend that all watch for the
                          release of "The Admiral's Daughter" by Julian Stockwin this month. It's a
                          great read and in Stockwin's style, not everything goes the way you expect
                          it to go! His at sea sections are superbly done and out UK friends should
                          be interested in this one, as the local for the book is the South of England
                          and goes into considerable detail about the coastline.

                          I do envy your travels Ma'm! I look forward to hearing all about your trip
                          on your return.

                          I remain........................

                          Bob.............er....................Admiral Sir Robert
                        • Don Campbell
                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 4, 2007
                            Good morning Bob, For everyone's information,
                            Stockwin's book is now available on Amazon
                            here in the US. I have just ordered a copy.
                            Really looking forward to reading it!
                            Don

                            --- In Bolitho@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Squarebriggs" <squbrigg@...>
                            wrote:
                            > I do recommend that all watch for the
                            > release of "The Admiral's Daughter" by Julian Stockwin this month. >
                            > Bob.............er....................Admiral Sir Robert

                          • Bronwyn Tindall
                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 4, 2007
                              david
                              i had no trouble withe first chapter of his majesty dragon.but i need to wait til iamback on boadband to get therest. dail up is the pits for books.have not come across the rusell author though.but then i like fansty as well.ththe left behind series and the prequeals have kept me
                              quiet for a while.
                              bronwyn

                              Message 14 of 22 , Oct 4, 2007
                                don bobmost likely noout in nz yet.
                                bronwyn

                                wrote:
                                > I do recommend that all watch for the
                                > release of "The Admiral's Daughter" by Julian Stockwin this month. >
                                > Bob......... ....er... ......... ........Admiral Sir Robert

                              • David Bennett
                                Message 15 of 22 , Oct 6, 2007
                                  >Posted by: "Bronwyn Tindall" btindall@... tribbles2008
                                  >Thu Oct 4, 2007 6:12 pm (PST)
                                  >david
                                  >i had no trouble with the first chapter of his majesty dragon. but i need
                                  >wait til i am back on broadband to get the rest. dail up is the pits for
                                  >books. have not come across the rusell author though. but then i like
                                  >fansty
                                  >as well. ththe left behind series and the prequeals have kept me
                                  >quiet for a while.
                                  >bronwyn

                                  Something happened to the last sentence in transmission, I think, and I'm
                                  not sure what you meant?
                                  I liked "His Majesty's Dragon", but I'm sure having trouble getting through
                                  "Throne of Jade". They've finally arrived in China, so I'm hoping there will
                                  be something interesting happening soon. I like some fantasy, but not all; I
                                  think I lean a bit more towards science fiction.

                                  Dave

                                  See Fireworks On Live Image Search
                                  http://search.live.com/images/results.aspx?q=Fireworks&mkt=en-ca&FORM=SERNEP
                                • Bronwyn Tindall
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Oct 6, 2007
                                    david
                                    yahoo may of cut some of my print off.
                                    as i only use size 20 ,sorry.
                                    it mainly that dail up is to slow for books.
                                    ii c not wait to be back home and on dail up.
                                    its the firt time i have taken my coumpter with me.
                                    bronwyn
                                    >i had no trouble with the first chapter of his majesty dragon. but i need
                                    >wait til i am back on broadband to get the rest. dail up is the pits for
                                    >books. have not come across the rusell author though. but then i like
                                    >fansty
                                    >as well. ththe left behind series and the prequeals have kept me
                                    >quiet for a while.
                                    >bronwyn

                                    Something happened to the last sentence in transmission, I think, and I'm
                                    not sure what you meant?
                                    I liked "His Majesty's Dragon", but I'm sure having trouble getting through
                                    "Throne of Jade". They've finally arrived in China, so I'm hoping there will
                                    be something interesting happening soon. I like some fantasy, but not all; I
                                    think I lean a bit more towards science fiction.

                                    Dave

                                    See Fireworks On Live Image Search
                                    http://search. live.com/ images/results. aspx?q=Fireworks &mkt=en-ca& FORM=SERNEP

                                  • Phil Waters
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Oct 8, 2007
                                      Where is everyone, well I am still here, and like everyone else it seems I am very busy. I am reading three books at present.  One is the World War 2 memories of a group of Veterans from my parents church in Fetcham.  It is a small book but full of wonderful stories of great courage, but with a lot of romance in it too.  A number of the writers met their life long partner during the  war, and they recall those happy times too. My Mum and Dad both have written a little piece for it too, which does make it very special. What they have written defies fiction, if anyone had written it, it would have described as far fetched. One of the writers is a German woman who married a British soldier who was part of the allied invasion force billeted near to her family home in Germany

                                      I am also reading Patrick Bishops book called 'Bomber Boys' about Bomber Command in World War 2.  There is a connection because while reading Bomber Boys I wondered how the German lady mentioned before coped during the Allied Bombing of Germany.  Finally I am reading Badge of Glory by our old friend Douglas Reeman (Alexander Kent)  it is a good story set in 1850 aboard a 90 gun ship called HMS Audacious. It is primarily a Royal Marine story, and is building up nicely.

                                      Other than that I am still working for myself in Training and Development, and generally enjoying life.  I have recently cycled from London to Paris for a wonderful charity and will go and do it all again next year.  Happy Days.

                                      Phil Waters

[...]

                                    • John Iida
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Oct 23, 2007
                                        I'm still here.... as inactive as can be, but still here. As an
                                        inactive role-player, I would love to get back into the groove... been
                                        scouting around for some ideas....

                                        --- In Bolitho@yahoogroups.com, "Mary M Goose" <millymolly80@...> wrote:

                                        > I would love to put some new life into this list, and I am as guilty
                                        > as anyone for not posting, I'm afraid.
                                        >
                                        > I realise the Bolitho books are limiting in themselves, but are there
                                        > others that anyone wishes to discuss? I haven't read the new
                                        > Stockwin yet, but have kept fairly abreast of what else is out there -
                                        > this side of the Atlantic, anyhow.
                                        >
                                        > How are the role players faring? What are your plans? I don't want to
                                        > role play any more but I was keen to see how it would be resurrected
                                        > amongst those who did want to participate again.
                                        >
                                        > Has anyone been to any places of note in maritime history? I'm
                                        > fortunate enough to be doing a Med cruise from Venice to Barcelona in
                                        > a few weeks time which drops anchor at Livorno (the old Leghorn),
                                        > Elba and Toulon so I shall be pursuing the nautical stuff there and
                                        > may have something to report back on.
                                        >
                                        > I'd love to see you posting again, as I am sure would any new members
                                        > we have acquired.
                                        >
                                        > I look forward to hearing from you.
                                        >
                                        > - Cookie
                                        > aka........

                                      • Bronwyn Tindall
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Oct 26, 2007
                                          john
                                          iam still around just out of ideas for aosthe star trekgroup has kinda of taken over.
                                          bronwyn
                                          I'm still here.... as inactive as can be, but still here. As an
                                          inactive role-player, I would love to get back into the groove... been
                                          scouting around for some ideas....

                                          --- In Bolitho@yahoogroups .com, "Mary M Goose" <millymolly80@ ...> wrote:

                                          > I would love to put some new life into this list, and I am as guilty
                                          > as anyone for not posting, I'm afraid.
                                          >
                                          > I realise the Bolitho books are limiting in themselves, but are there
                                          > others that anyone wishes to discuss? I haven't read the new
                                          > Stockwin yet, but have kept fairly abreast of what else is out there -
                                          > this side of the Atlantic, anyhow.
                                          >
                                          > How are the role players faring? What are your plans? I don't want to
                                          > role play any more but I was keen to see how it would be resurrected
                                          > amongst those who did want to participate again.
                                          >
                                          > Has anyone been to any places of note in maritime history? I'm
                                          > fortunate enough to be doing a Med cruise from Venice to Barcelona in
                                          > a few weeks time which drops anchor at Livorno (the old Leghorn),
                                          > Elba and Toulon so I shall be pursuing the nautical stuff there and
                                          > may have something to report back on.
                                          >
                                          > I'd love to see you posting again, as I am sure would any new members
                                          > we have acquired.
                                          >
                                          > I look forward to hearing from you.
                                          >
                                          > - Cookie
                                          > aka........

                                        • Phil Waters
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Oct 27, 2007
                                            Dear Bolitho friends,
                                                    By a pure fluke I have come across the Blackwood series of Royal Marine adventures written by Douglas Reeman  They are good easy reading historical tales which are very similar in style to the Bolitho series.  Checking out the Reeman web site it would seem they are the only series that Reeman has written in his own name, and they are not at all bad.

                                                    On a different note, we are getting towards the end of another year, and maybe we ought to turn our thoughts to the books we have read, and the ones we would like to read.  So as a suggestion from the end of November lets individulaly post on here

                                            1. Our best fiction read of the year.
                                            2. Our best non fiction read of the year.
                                            3. Our hardest to read /biggest disappointment book of the year.
                                            4. The book we most hope Father Christmas leaves in our stocking for us to start the new year reading.

                                            Something to think about,

                                            Happy Reading

                                            Phil Waters

                                            iam still around just out of ideas for aosthe star trekgroup has kinda of taken over.
                                            bronwyn
                                            I'm still here.... as inactive as can be, but still here. As an
                                            inactive role-player, I would love to get back into the groove... been
                                            scouting around for some ideas....

                                            --- In Bolitho@yahoogroups .com, "Mary M Goose" <millymolly80@ ...> wrote:

                                            > I would love to put some new life into this list, and I am as guilty
                                            > as anyone for not posting, I'm afraid.
                                            >
                                            > I realise the Bolitho books are limiting in themselves, but are there
                                            > others that anyone wishes to discuss? I haven't read the new
                                            > Stockwin yet, but have kept fairly abreast of what else is out there -
                                            > this side of the Atlantic, anyhow.
                                            >
                                            > How are the role players faring? What are your plans? I don't want to
                                            > role play any more but I was keen to see how it would be resurrected
                                            > amongst those who did want to participate again.
                                            >
                                            > Has anyone been to any places of note in maritime history? I'm
                                            > fortunate enough to be doing a Med cruise from Venice to Barcelona in
                                            > a few weeks time which drops anchor at Livorno (the old Leghorn),
                                            > Elba and Toulon so I shall be pursuing the nautical stuff there and
                                            > may have something to report back on.
                                            >
                                            > I'd love to see you posting again, as I am sure would any new members
                                            > we have acquired.
                                            >
                                            > I look forward to hearing from you.
                                            >
                                            > - Cookie
                                            > aka........

                                          • Mary M Goose
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Oct 27, 2007
                                              ....thanks for your post, Phil. It contains some excellent ideas.

                                              Would your suggestions be to restrict the books to AoS, or related
                                              genres? I realise many members read other stuff beside AoS, as I do
                                              myself from time to time, but nearly always of an historical leaning.

                                              Thanks again,

                                              - Cookie
                                              aka.........

                                              --- In Bolitho@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Waters" <phil.waters@...> wrote:

                                              > On a different note, we are getting towards the end of
                                              another year,
                                              > and maybe we ought to turn our thoughts to the books we have read,
                                              and the
                                              > ones we would like to read. So as a suggestion from the end of
                                              November
                                              > lets individulaly post on here
                                              >
                                              > 1. Our best fiction read of the year.
                                              > 2. Our best non fiction read of the year.
                                              > 3. Our hardest to read /biggest disappointment book of the year.
                                              > 4. The book we most hope Father Christmas leaves in our stocking
                                              for us to
                                              > start the new year reading.
                                              >
                                              > Something to think about,
                                              >
                                              > Happy Reading
                                              >
                                              > Phil Waters

                                            • Phil Waters
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Oct 27, 2007
                                                Hi Cookie,
                                                        No I think any book,  that said we could add another category which is the best age of sail book read this year. I would be all for that!!!

                                                Phil

                                                ....thanks for your post, Phil. It contains some excellent ideas.

                                                Would your suggestions be to restrict the books to AoS, or related
                                                genres? I realise many members read other stuff beside AoS, as I do
                                                myself from time to time, but nearly always of an historical leaning.

                                                Thanks again,

                                                - Cookie
                                                aka.........

                                                --- In Bolitho@yahoogroups .com, "Phil Waters" <phil.waters@ ...> wrote:

                                                > On a
                                                different note, we are getting towards the end of
                                                another year,
                                                > and
                                                maybe we ought to turn our thoughts to the books we have read,
                                                and the
                                                > ones we would like to read. So as a suggestion from the end of
                                                November
                                                > lets individulaly post on here
                                                >
                                                > 1. Our
                                                best fiction read of the year.
                                                > 2. Our best non fiction read of the
                                                year.
                                                > 3. Our hardest to read /biggest disappointment book of the
                                                year.
                                                > 4. The book we most hope Father Christmas leaves in our stocking
                                                for us to
                                                > start the new year reading.
                                                >
                                                > Something to
                                                think about,