O/T hi folks...unknown bird in my garden... what is it???

  • James Goddard
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 4, 2007
      hi to all round here. I'm de lurking for a while to ask any twitchers
      out there for some help.

      On my return home from work today there were two very tiny birds on
      my lawn. they have black and white striped heads with a black tail
      edged with bright yellow. above the eyes and over the top of the head
      is a red band and a pale beak. the body is a very pale brown on top
      and pale underneath.

      I've posted a picture I took in the photo section. I apologise for
      the lack of sharpness but these birds didn't stop moving at all and
      were very quick with their movements which does cause a problem with
      focusing and movement.

      If anyone requires the original pic (4mb) just post to this thread
      and 'll email it.

      thanks for any answers.

      Cap'n Sir James
    • Mil Goose
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 4, 2007
        Hi James!

        I looked in my "RSPB Guide to British Birds" and can't find it; I
        wonder if it is a juvenile of some sort? Most stripes seem to go
        fore and aft along the head....have you tried this site?

        http://www.garden-birds.co.uk/discuss/discus.cgi

        I'd be interested in your findings.

        - Cookie -

        --- In Bolitho@yahoogroups.com, "James Goddard" <snapdragonxxx@...>
        wrote:

        > hi to all round here. I'm de lurking for a while to ask any
        twitchers
        > out there for some help.
        >
        > On my return home from work today there were two very tiny birds on
        > my lawn. they have black and white striped heads with a black tail
        > edged with bright yellow. above the eyes and over the top of the
        head
        > is a red band and a pale beak. the body is a very pale brown on top
        > and pale underneath.
        >
        > I've posted a picture I took in the photo section. I apologise for
        > the lack of sharpness but these birds didn't stop moving at all and
        > were very quick with their movements which does cause a problem
        with
        > focusing and movement.
        >
        > If anyone requires the original pic (4mb) just post to this thread
        > and 'll email it.
        >
        > thanks for any answers.
        >
        > Cap'n Sir James

      • weeboopiper
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 4, 2007
          Looks like it might be the European goldfinch.

          http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Europe/Switzerland/photo55628.htm

          Susan

          --- In Bolitho@yahoogroups.com, "James Goddard" <snapdragonxxx@...> wrote:

          > On my return home from work today there were two very tiny birds on
          > my lawn. they have black and white striped heads with a black tail
          > edged with bright yellow. above the eyes and over the top of the head
          > is a red band and a pale beak. the body is a very pale brown on top
          > and pale underneath.

        • Phil Waters
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 5, 2007
            I have to agree, my first thought from the description was a Goldfinch.  They are a lovely bird, and are at home in the garden.

            Phil Waters

            Looks like it might be the European goldfinch.

            http://www.trekeart h.com/gallery/ Europe/Switzerla nd/photo55628. htm

            Susan

            --- In Bolitho@yahoogroups .com, "James Goddard" <snapdragonxxx@ ...> wrote:

            > On my
            return home from work today there were two very tiny birds on
            > my lawn.
            they have black and white striped heads with a black tail
            > edged with
            bright yellow. above the eyes and over the top of the head
            > is a red
            band and a pale beak. the body is a very pale brown on top
            > and pale
            underneath.

          • James Goddard
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 5, 2007
              Hi folks.

              It is a European Goldfinsh and I can say that it is a very small bird but what colours! My garden seems to be full of birds at the moment and I saw another unknown again.

              check out the photo in the same directory.

              for susan and phil..... 1000 Brownie points and an extra ration of rum!

              Sir James
              Looks like it might be the European goldfinch.

              http://www.trekeart h.com/gallery/ Europe/Switzerla nd/photo55628. htm

              Susan

              --- In Bolitho@yahoogroups .com, "James Goddard" <snapdragonxxx@ ...> wrote:

              > On my return home from work today there were two very tiny birds on
              > my lawn. they have black and white striped heads with a black tail
              > edged with bright yellow. above the eyes and over the top of the head
              > is a red band and a pale beak. the body is a very pale brown on top
              > and pale underneath.

            • Phil Waters
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 5, 2007
                Sir James,
                        You latest picture has me foxed.  Ithought at first it could be a Redwing, but it is not,  They have a white eyebrow and a bit of a white mostache.  So I have got my bird book out, and I ja

                Looks like it might be the European goldfinch.

                http://www.trekeart h.com/gallery/ Europe/Switzerla nd/photo55628. htm

                Susan

                --- In Bolitho@yahoogroups .com, "James Goddard" <snapdragonxxx@ ...> wrote:

                > On my return home from work today there were two very tiny birds on
                > my lawn. they have black and white striped heads with a black tail
                > edged with bright yellow. above the eyes and over the top of the head
                > is a red band and a pale beak. the body is a very pale brown on top
                > and pale underneath.

              • Phil Waters
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 5, 2007
                  Sir James,
                          You latest picture has me foxed.  I thought at first it could be a Redwing, but it is not,  They have a white eyebrow and a bit of a white moustache.  So I have got my bird book out, and I have come to the conclusion it is a juvenile (baby) robin.  How big is it.  Is it about robin sized? If not my only other option is a Song Thrush, but it is hard to judge size from the photo.

                  Phil W

                  PS I am sorry but I don't drink rum, my lord.

                  Looks like it might be the European goldfinch.

                  http://www.trekeart h.com/gallery/ Europe/Switzerla nd/photo55628. htm

                  Susan

                  --- In Bolitho@yahoogroups .com, "James Goddard" <snapdragonxxx@ ...> wrote:

                  > On my return home from work today there were two very tiny birds on
                  > my lawn. they have black and white striped heads with a black tail
                  > edged with bright yellow. above the eyes and over the top of the head
                  > is a red band and a pale beak. the body is a very pale brown on top
                  > and pale underneath.

                • James Goddard
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 5, 2007
                    hi phil

                    It is a lot bigger than a robin, but it is between the size of a thrush and blackbird, but doesn't, as you can see,hasn'the pale speckled brest of a song thrush or match the criteria of a juvenile blackbird (IMO). Is this another European visitor to my garden??

                    Sorry to hear you don't drink rum.... How abou Whiskey, Brandy...Schnapps?????

                    Sir James

                            You latest picture has me foxed.  I thought at first it could be a Redwing, but it is not,  They have a white eyebrow and a bit of a white moustache.  So I have got my bird book out, and I have come to the conclusion it is a juvenile (baby) robin.  How big is it.  Is it about robin sized? If not my only other option is a Song Thrush, but it is hard to judge size from the photo.

                    Phil W

                    PS I am sorry but I don't drink rum, my lord.

                    Looks like it might be the European goldfinch.

                    http://www.trekeart h.com/gallery/ Europe/Switzerla nd/photo55628. htm

                    Susan

                    --- In Bolitho@yahoogroups .com, "James Goddard" <snapdragonxxx@ ...> wrote:

                    > On my return home from work today there were two very tiny birds on
                    > my lawn. they have black and white striped heads with a black tail
                    > edged with bright yellow. above the eyes and over the top of the head
                    > is a red band and a pale beak. the body is a very pale brown on top
                    > and pale underneath.

                  • Phil Waters
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 5, 2007
                      My bird book has pictures of all European birds that have been known to visit.  (I enjoy birds) and the only picture that comes anywhere near your phote is teh Song Thrush. I think it might be one of those with a slightly darker breast than normal.  Birds colour does vary, white blackbirds are not unknown, so it could just be that.

                      I am sorry I can't be more helpful.  You could try teh RSPB who may recognise it.

                      Phil W

                      How about bottled water?