Ahoy there! We're adrift again.....

  • Mil Goose
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 4, 2006
      How are you all? We're just getting over the hottest July ever
      recorded in the UK, and although, this never happened in all parts of
      the country, it certainly happened in mine, and I hope it is not
      repeated in August! LOL

      On the reading front I enjoyed Edwin Thomas' third, "Treason's River",
      which I thoroughly enjoyed and which, IMO, will be of particular
      interest to US readers.

      I am just concluding Max Adam's "Admiral Collingwood" which has been an
      insight to Collingwood's service and devotion to his country.

      Look forward to hearing from you.....and hearing how we can keep the
      list alive, please.

      - Cookie -
    • Preziosia@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 4, 2006
        Well, it's been quite awhile since I've checked in, so I'll do my part.

        1) BUSY...what with Hurricane repairs from last year, the TS Chris scare, work, a biz partner that embezzled KPG Company funds and then left and my book on the Sepoy Revolt/Indian Mutiny, though I am trying to take this summer off a bit to get some reading done on other subjects.

            June: WII Western Desert, concentrating on a bunch of Alamein books w/emphasis on FM Auckinleck (YAY!) and Montgomery (Boo!)

            July: ACW-Western Theatre. One book on Grant (Boo!) and Vicksburg, another on the Army of the Cumberland (George Thomas-YAY)! and another on the Battle of Perryville fought by the AotC.

            August: (slight delay): Summer Trash reading..two Warhammer 40K books on the start of the entire fray (Horus Heresy), a book on Alt ACW history and...

          BUT FIRST, this just in from McBooks Press.My Summer (Spring Catalog) Purchase for 2006 (arrived in the mail today):

            Kydd #4- Mutiny (Trade PB)...a definite must read to get me back to my Elibron 19th Century Reprints

            The Emperors Coloured Coat (#2 Prhaska Sailor of the Austrian Empire Series) by Biggins (long out of print redo of a somewhat Flashman-esque character at the end of the Austrian Empire)

        Klligrew RN (#1)

        Sails on the Horizon-Worral (Edgemont #1)

        The Nizam's Daughter (Mallinson #2)...early 19th Century Cavalry Series

        and my Freebie...A Prayer for the Ship by Reeman (Kent).

        Not a bad haul for $75 US!

        ....as I was saying, I'll probably read Kydd to get me back into mindset for more research on India in the 19th Century.

         I hope all is well with all of you,

        Regards

        Andrew
      • Mil Goose
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 5, 2006
          --- In Bolitho@yahoogroups.com, Preziosia@... wrote:

          Hi Andrew...sounds like you've been busy all right.

          > Klligrew RN (#1)

          .... Interested to hear of your new books. I think you'll find
          Jonathan Lunn is a very talented writer, and his Killigrew a very
          entertaining character.

          Keep well

          - Cookie -
        • Mark Gutis
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 5, 2006
            I've been continuing with WWII. I've recently read:
                Patton: A Genius for War by Carlo d'Este
                Patton's Best by Nat Frankel
                An Army at Dawn by Rick Atkinson
                I Was With Patton by D.A. Lande
            and I'm currently reading Lucky Forward by Robert Allen. Admittedly, it's not much in the way of AoS but I have been playing a lot of Sid Meier's Pirates! on the computer.

            Mark G.
          • Emily Regent
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 5, 2006
              Dear all

              I've been very good about AoS for the moment:

              I've nearly finished 'Quarterdeck' by Julian Stockwin
              I'm halfway through 'Ramage and the Drumbeat' (Dudley Pope)
              I've finished 'Construction and Fitting of the Sailing Man of War'
              Nearly finished 'Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War'
              Half way through 'Arming and Fitting of English Ships of War'
              Half way through 'Men o'War' by Peter Goodwin
              Started 'Patrick O'Brien's Navy' by lots of people, and I've forgotten the editor's name (O'Neill, I *think*)

              I've slipped once and I'm also reading Black Moth by Georgette Heyer and (Confusion to the Enemy!!!) the Da Vinci Code!!

              Aye, ever yours

              Emily
              ps - Andrew; it's great to see you back again.

              Mil Goose <mmgoose@...> wrote:

              How are you all? We're just getting over the hottest July ever
              recorded in the UK, and although, this never happened in all parts of
              the country, it certainly happened in mine, and I hope it is not
              repeated in August! LOL

            • James Goddard
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 5, 2006
                Hi ther Emily

                Looking at your reading list l see a set of reference books for model ship builders... are you a model builder or just educating yourself as to how these ships were built?

                James

                PS...

                Waiting for a large sum of money to come my way puts the Antigua trip on hold probably until the last minute!!!!!

                Captain Sir James
                HMS Maestro (74)

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 5, 2006
                  I agree with Mil. The Killigrew books are quite entertaining.

                  I've been quite busy with work, so I haven't been reading as much as I'd like.

                  I'm still digesting:

                  "Limeys" - David Harvie (stalled on this for a while)
                  "Steam Warfare in the Parana" - Lauchland Mackinnon (nearly done with Volume 2)
                  "Recollections of a Naval Life" - James Scott (Volume 1)

                  I'm trying to decide on a book to take on my short vacation. :D On Monday, I'm
                  leaving for an inter-island sail on the schooner "Lynx" (http://www.privateerlynx.org/
                  index.html). I went on an afternoon sail on her a few years ago, which was a lot of
                  fun. I'm looking forward to hauling on ropes again.

                  Susan

                  --- In Bolitho@yahoogroups.com, "Mil Goose" <mmgoose@...> wrote:

                  > .... Interested to hear of your new books. I think you'll find
                  > Jonathan Lunn is a very talented writer, and his Killigrew a very
                  > entertaining character.
                • Emily Regent
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 6, 2006
                    To: Captain Sir James

                    Dear Sir

                    Alas, as much as I would love to be able to do something so fine as building model ships, I'm far too clumsy.  My plastic model of the USS Enterprise has a wonky nacelle and the experience saw me cutting out little bits of grey plastic that got glued to my hair for weeks!
                      So - my reading is entirely educational.  Actually, although I've read through them there isn't very much I understand in them; thank god for the diagrams, which are nice and clear, but I'm hoping that as I keep studying, if I keep going back to them, I'll start to figure out what went where, when, and why and how (and perhaps by whom).
                      I did find a book in the library by a chap called Nepean, I think, which was called 'the Anatomy of Nelson's Ships' or something similar; it was old, but seemed to have been written for the model builder.  I didn't take it out, but certainly kept it in mind should I ever want to try modelling.
                      So, the million dollar/pound question - are you a model builder?

                    Aye, ever yours

                    Emily
                    ps - They should do ships in Lego; I could probably cope with that.
                    pps - Keep me on your list for Antigua.

                    James Goddard <snapdragonxxx@...> wrote:
                    Looking at your reading list l see a set of reference books for model ship builders... are you a model builder or just educating yourself as to how these ships were built?

                    James
                    PS...
                    Waiting for a large sum of money to come my way puts the Antigua trip on hold probably until the last minute!!!!!

                    All New Yahoo! Mail – Tired of Vi@gr@! come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you.

                  • Robert Squarebriggs
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 6, 2006
                      Emily and all,

                      You have a great selection there for learning the ropes and entertaining ones too.  If you get an opportunity, I recommend Jean Boudroit's four volume set "The 74 Gun Ship" and then "History of the French Frigate", those five books will keep you busy for ages.  You will note some particular differences in the style of the British and French ships.  As many ships of the RN were captured French vessels and many English built ships were based on French copied and "improved", the books make a good comparisom.

                      How are you enjoying Quarterdeck?  The next couple are even better! Tenacious and Command.

                      Ramage has also been a favorite of mine and the Drumbeat is a good one.

                      I've been reading a bit less lately, and carving /model building more (commission work), just finished "Command" by Stockwin, and again you are in for a real treat! Also finished, "Any Approaching Enemy" by Worrall, and a U.S. Civil War book, "The March" by E.L. Doctorow,  two other great reads.  Into a  Larry McMurtry novel "Telegraph Days", he's the author of "Lonesome Dove" a book of the old west that was made into a movie.  He has several other books along that line, all really good reads, if you care for that sort of thing.

                      Awaiting an order from Amazon.co.uk they have a much better selection of nautical stuff then the .com or .ca ones.

                      Perhaps we could offer a short review or precis of some of the books we suggest?

                      I remain................

                      Bob

                      "Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore-sheet, let me pipe "Up Spirits" or "Splice the Main Brace" one more time!"
                      http://community.webshots.com/album/130148443VPVMxM
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 6, 2006
                        Susan,

                        I envy you your trip, that is the only way to go on a cruise vacation! Have
                        enough fun for both of us, please. Give us a passing thought while you are
                        aboard and hoist a tot in our favour.

                        Enjoy your cruise,

                        I remain..................

                        Bob

                        "Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore-sheet, let me pipe
                        "Up Spirits" or "Splice the Main Brace" one more time!"
                        http://community.webshots.com/album/130148443VPVMxM
                        > I'm trying to decide on a book to take on my short vacation. :D On
                        > Monday, I'm
                        > leaving for an inter-island sail on the schooner "Lynx"
                        > (http://www.privateerlynx.org/
                        > index.html). I went on an afternoon sail on her a few years ago, which was
                        > a lot of
                        > fun. I'm looking forward to hauling on ropes again.
                        >
                        > Susan
                      • Simon nobbs
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 6, 2006
                          Ahoy the Group:

                          Been a busy time here ,
                          Work has been nothing short of a nightmare(those of you in the Uk who may
                          have been hearing about the state of the NHS - BELIEVE IT ALL!!!!) -I have
                          been doing much more exercise of late, and have even taken up (slow) jogging
                          - just come back from a 10k race in Totnes feeling tired but pleasantly
                          relaxed (apart from a pair of glowing achilles tendons!!).
                          As far as the reading goes (you will not believe this Mil!!) I am reading a
                          Patrick o'Brien and have not yet thrown it in the bin - I am almost enjoying
                          it. My car has been in and out of the garage more than I would want recently
                          and one one occasion I was stuck at home - waiting for it to be repaired and
                          I found an old dog eared copy of 'Fortune of War' lurking at the back of a
                          cupboard, and thought I would give it a go and have almost finished it. The
                          only two reasons I can come up with for this disturbing change in character
                          is that it is either down to the heat or my age (or both!!)

                          Simon

                          >From: "Mil Goose" <mmgoose@...>
                          >To: Bolitho@yahoogroups.com
                          >Subject: [Bolitho] Ahoy there! We're adrift again.....
                          >Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 14:46:26 -0000
                          >

                          >How are you all? We're just getting over the hottest July ever
                          >recorded in the UK, and although, this never happened in all parts of
                          >the country, it certainly happened in mine, and I hope it is not
                          >repeated in August! LOL
                          >

                          >On the reading front I enjoyed Edwin Thomas' third, "Treason's River",
                          >which I thoroughly enjoyed and which, IMO, will be of particular
                          >interest to US readers.
                          >
                          >I am just concluding Max Adam's "Admiral Collingwood" which has been an
                          >insight to Collingwood's service and devotion to his country.
                          >

                          >Look forward to hearing from you.....and hearing how we can keep the
                          >list alive, please.
                          >

                          >- Cookie -

                          http://www.msn.co.uk/newsletters
                        • Bronwyn Tindall
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 16, 2006
                            hi everyone
                            i have donwe heaps of reading lasately
                            drinkwater i adored and read ib a couple ogfg days
                            john mardsen sereies about a group of tenagwers come back from camping to find there coyuntry was iat war,its bween our worst wintwer with a few sluips and flooding
                            i have gained some mobmnment back uin my arn
                            drinkwayter haf gibem me some ideas i lacked inspraytion for my character
                            bronwyn