re: Hornblower (& various)

  • Mil Goose
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2006
      ...thanks to those who responded to this little discussion. There are
      some interesting and diverse opinions.

      I found him to be such a cold personaility, that I'm surprised to find
      he inspired anything in his men. Nevertheless, IMO he is an intriguing
      character, and perhaps because of his diverse nature, it makes him
      interesting.

      Any favourite parts in the books?

      I think one of mine was when he feared the boat was sinking when taking
      part in Nelson's funeral procession, and I loved the little touches of
      humour that CSF gave him, e.g. with his skinny legs and needing oakum
      to pad out his stockings.

      Let's keep discussion of some sort going; the list has been so quiet
      lately, and there are plenty of other subjects up for discussion, e.g.
      shock, horror, gasp!!!! ... did anyone dislike Bolitho?

      - Cookie -
    • Greg Henderson
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2006
        I liked Bolitho right up to the point where he fell in love. After that he
        was pathetic.

        Greg.

        > ...thanks to those who responded to this little discussion. There are
        > some interesting and diverse opinions.
        >
        > I found him to be such a cold personaility, that I'm surprised to find
        > he inspired anything in his men. Nevertheless, IMO he is an intriguing
        > character, and perhaps because of his diverse nature, it makes him
        > interesting.
        >
        > Any favourite parts in the books?
        >
        > I think one of mine was when he feared the boat was sinking when taking
        > part in Nelson's funeral procession, and I loved the little touches of
        > humour that CSF gave him, e.g. with his skinny legs and needing oakum
        > to pad out his stockings.
        >
        > Let's keep discussion of some sort going; the list has been so quiet
        > lately, and there are plenty of other subjects up for discussion, e.g.
        > shock, horror, gasp!!!! ... did anyone dislike Bolitho?
        >
        > - Cookie -
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Emily Regent
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2006
          Dear Greg & Cookie (and anyone else interested)

          A short while ago I posted a few comments on Bolitho's tendency to fall in love.
          It went something like this: Why?  I like Lady Catherine - she's quite cool and I can understand her, and the first one (Aurora, was it?) was beautiful and Bolitho was young, and I don't think he'd need much beyond that. But the rest just inspire in me a big Why?
            As for Hornblower; he certainly is intriguing.  As a character, he's great - I just don't feel I'd like him much as a person.  I think one of my favourite parts was when he was having a conversation with the captain of another ship, and suddenly realises that he's stark naked, having just had his water-pump bath on deck.
            I've also started on Ramage and Drinkwater who, between them, seem to be constituting my favourites of the genre.  I also like Kydd, although I haven't got as far as his becoming an officer, yet, but I think Stockwin is very clever to start him before the mast - Kydd stands out because of that.

          There we go - stuff to discuss <g>

          Aye, ever yours

          Emily

        • Simon nobbs
          Message 4 of 5 , May 1, 2006

            It wasnt Bolithos tendency to fall in love that I found strange, but always the immediate 'Oh I love you' bit after knowing them for about five minutes. Maybe I am a cynical old unromantic (probably guilty as charged on that one!!) but I think that here there is a confusion between love and lust, and I am sure that Bolitho is not the only person ever to have confused the two!!!

            Simon

            From: Emily Regent <emily_regent@...>
            To: Bolitho@yahoogroups.com
            Subject: Re: [Bolitho] Hornblower (& various)
            Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 15:58:24 +0100 (BST)

[...]

            Book writing softwareBusiness writing bookScience fiction books
            Writing and publishing a bookWriting bookWriting child book

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            Ever done something that you really shouldn�t have? If so, MSN Hotmail wants to hear about it - click here to make us cringe and you could win great prizes!
          • Bronwyn Tindall
            Message 5 of 5 , May 1, 2006
              Its been a while since i read Alexander Kent. I did not dislike him.
              But i did like allday.sometimes i like the minor characters better.
              Kidd i do like.stockwin taught me a lot about life on the lower deck.i read
              the first one on talking book and felt like i was on the ship with them.
              Bronwyn