Re: [Bolitho] New Poll

  • Emily Regent
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 1, 2005
      Dear John

      OK - I've been to the poll a couple of times; I've even flicked through some of the stories I haven't yet read, and I've even tried to vote, but to be honest, I really can't think of a good starting place for a series.  It's tempting to say it should be right from the start (especially as the same actors would be better placed to play the same characters throughout), although I think there are stronger stories that would drum up greater interest, and keep a series running for longer.
        Many stories have good claims, especially ones where there are 'firsts': when RB first meets his nephew (Enemy in Sight, I think - which also has a strong, interesting plot.); when RB first takes command; when he makes Lt.; when we first meet Allday; when we first see how cool Lady Catherine is...
        All I'm certain of is that it shouldn't be too far along, as already suggested.  Is anyone else having the same problem I am?

      Aye, ever yours

      Emily

      John Stevens <jjts01757@...> wrote:
      I've re-created the old poll of what Bolitho story would make the best
      starting point for a film series.

    • John Stevens
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 1, 2005
        Dear Emily

        You bring up some excellent points. Any of those would make good
        starting points. But I would also advise that you look at where
        you'll be going after the first. When you're picking a starting
        point it's also a good idea to have an ending point in mind. For
        example I tend to think in story arcs aand trilogies and think good
        ones could be made from "Stand into Danger", "In Gallant Company"
        and "Sloop-of-War". Likewise the first three books published - "To
        Glory We Steer", "Form Line of Battle" and "Enemy in Sight" make
        another good one, as do the next three chronologically "The Flag
        Captain", "Signal: Close Action!" and "The Inshore Squadron".

        I'm not sure if AK did it on purpose or if it was a fortunate
        accident but the whole series tends to divide quite neatly into
        story arcs of about three novels.

        I'm not sure if this will help anyone's deliberation but its how I
        see things.

        Best,
        John

        P.S. Here's reminding all of you that "Uncommon Valour" makes a
        great Christmas gift. And can now be purchased at Wal-Mart. :)

        --- In Bolitho@yahoogroups.com, Emily Regent <emily_regent@y...>
        wrote:

        > Dear John
        >
        > OK - I've been to the poll a couple of times; I've even flicked
        through some of the stories I haven't yet read, and I've even tried
        to vote, but to be honest, I really can't think of a good starting
        place for a series. It's tempting to say it should be right from
        the start (especially as the same actors would be better placed to
        play the same characters throughout), although I think there are
        stronger stories that would drum up greater interest, and keep a
        series running for longer.
        > Many stories have good claims, especially ones where there
        are 'firsts': when RB first meets his nephew (Enemy in Sight, I
        think - which also has a strong, interesting plot.); when RB first
        takes command; when he makes Lt.; when we first meet Allday; when we
        first see how cool Lady Catherine is...
        > All I'm certain of is that it shouldn't be too far along, as
        already suggested. Is anyone else having the same problem I am?

        > Aye, ever yours
        >
        > Emily
        >
        > John Stevens <jjts01757@y...> wrote:
        > I've re-created the old poll of what Bolitho story would make the
        best
        > starting point for a film series.
        >

        > ---------------------------------
        > To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all
        new Yahoo! Security Centre.

      • Emily Regent
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 1, 2005
          Dear John

          Good advice; I hadn't thought about an 'end point' except to think that whenever 'Sword of Honour' was done, it would be good to go back and do the others and carry on with Adam; but you're right that making them in series' of threes keeps it 'tidy'.
            I have been listening to the series on Talking Book from the library, and can't always get them strictly in sequence, so I sometimes miss one out (if they don't have it) or transpose two and things like that, so I hadn't noticed the tendecy for them to run in threes; it will be something I pay closer attention to, as it is a factor that would go well into a film (or even TV) series.  Even the three that are chronologically first are a natural trilogy ('Richard Bolitho - Midshipman', 'M'Man Bolitho and the Avenger' and the new 'Band of Brothers').

          Aye, ever yours

          Emily

          John Stevens <jjts01757@...> wrote:
          Dear Emily

          You bring up some excellent points. Any of those would make good
          starting points. But I would also advise that you look at where
          you'll be going after the first. When you're picking a starting
          point it's also a good idea to have an ending point in mind.

        • Simon
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 3, 2005
            I agree with what has been said about a Bolitho film series – it could
            be started in any one of several places – I like Emilys idea on this.
            From a practical point of view I wonder how much `adaptation' would be
            needed to make it a viable project. I would like to expand this idea
            slightly and ask apart from Hornblower and Aubrey, which of the other
            AoS writers/characters would be best adapted to the big/small screen?

            For my own preference I think that Julian Stockwins books would be
            excellent – a good mixture of shore / sea based action, characters who
            do not necessarily get killed every five minutes, good for continuity –
            and a good storyline. For example `Tenacious' which I have recently
            finished is his best book yet in my mind. A terrific read, that
            beautifully combines the fictional characters with real life events
            with a brilliant technical understanding of life aboard ship, yet this
            detail does not slow down the story or detract from the main plot. I
            think that some astute film producer could really make a killing with
            this.

            As for any other authors or characters….. It would be interesting to
            see how an Alan Lewrie production would turn out!!!!!!!!!!!!

            Simon
          • Robert Squarebriggs
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 3, 2005
              I agree 100% Simon, regarding Stockwin being a great basis for a movie
              series. I also agree that TENACIOUS is his best work yet! A brilliant
              combination of fact and fiction helping us understand the background to the
              tremendous events of that age. And a cracking good read at the same time.

              Dudley Pope's Ramage would also make for a great series, more for TV than
              big screen, I believe. Only because each book is a unique story unto
              themselves, enough meat in each for a good plot, while still continuing the
              main core group of characters. More like the "Sharpe" of the waves, than
              Hornblower, with a lot more humor and personality. I find Hornblower a good
              read, but rather stuffy in film.

              Who would you suggest play the part of 1) Kydd , 2) Renzi, 3) Ramage 4)
              Jackson, 5) The Marchessa, 6) Stafford, 7) Rossi ... etc?

              I remain...........................

              Bob

              "Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore-sheet, let me pipe
              "Up Spirits" or "Splice the Main Brace" one more time!"
              http://community.webshots.com/album/130148443VPVMxM

              I agree with what has been said about a Bolitho film series - it could
              be started in any one of several places - I like Emilys idea on this.
              From a practical point of view I wonder how much `adaptation' would be

              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 3, 2005
                Dear All

                I think Ramage and Kydd would both make terrific TV series.  It's tempting to add Drinkwater (Richard Woodman) to the list, but then, we could carry on until every fictional Naval hero is listed (and a few non-Naval heroes besides).  I think both Kydd and Ramage would be better TV series, and Bolitho as films.
                  Not sure about actors; does anyone know who the guy on the front of the Kydd books is?  Someone in the Hornblower group once suggested Ioun Gryffudd (gotta learn how to spell that name) was her idea of Bolitho - for the record, I don't agree...
                  I say we need more dark-haired actors.

                Aye, ever yours

                Emily
                Dudley Pope's Ramage would also make for a great series, more for TV than
                big screen, I believe. Only because each book is a unique story unto
                themselves, enough meat in each for a good plot, while still continuing the
                main core group of characters.

                For my own preference I think that Julian Stockwins books would be
                excellent - a good mixture of shore / sea based action, characters who
                do not necessarily get killed every five minutes, good for continuity -
                and a good storyline.

              • Greg Henderson
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 3, 2005
                  The problem is, of course, that master and Commander didn't do as well as they thought it would. The market is just not there ! But then again, if we all went to see each movie  ..say 50 times...

                  Greg.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 4, 2005
                    I find that the problem with trying to put actors/actresses with the
                    characters is that most of the them would initially have to be
                    portrayed as being young, whereas I `see' them as being older.
                    For example I think that a young Stephen Fry would be right for
                    Renzi, A young Robert Lindsay (`Pellew' in Hornblower) would be
                    Richard Bolitho.

                    I could certainly see Catherine portrayed by Catherine Zeta Jones.

                    I would also like to put forward myself for a role! In many AoS
                    books the sailing Master often is portrayed as older (me), grey,
                    often wispy hair (me again) with a westcountry accent (yes, me
                    again) – I'm off to get my equity card

                    (Oh dear - delusions again, I had better get back to work)

                    Simon

                    --- In Bolitho@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Squarebriggs" <squbrigg@r...>
                    wrote:

                    >> Who would you suggest play the part of 1) Kydd , 2) Renzi, 3)
                    Ramage 4)
                    > Jackson, 5) The Marchessa, 6) Stafford, 7) Rossi ... etc?
                    >
                    > I remain...........................
                    >
                    > Bob

                  • daniela
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 4, 2005
                      Simon writes:

                      > I would also like to put forward myself for a role! In many AoS
                      > books the sailing Master often is portrayed as older (me), grey,
                      > often wispy hair (me again) with a westcountry accent (yes, me
                      > again) – I'm off to get my equity card

                      If Simon proposes himself as the sailing Master, I could be the Marchesa!
                      After all, I am tall (short) like her, and I'm Italian...
                      Yes, I know I should also be pretty, slender and 16... but those are
                      details! ;-)))

                      Daniela
                    • BlackHat
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 5, 2005
                        I could not believe the movie didn't do so well, so I checked it out.....

                        Production Budget: $150 million
                        Est. Marketing Costs: $30 million

                        Domestic:  $93,927,920
                        Overseas: $116,550,000
                        Worldwide: $210,477,920

                        So really it didn't lose money, and that does not include any VHS or DVD sales....

                        Its a shame, cause I think if they made them, people would go see them...

                        Later,
                        BlackHat