Re: Tom Tidley

  • Mil Goose
    Message 1 of 14 , May 1, 2005
      --- In Bolitho@yahoogroups.com, "Don Campbell" <timoneer2001@y...>
      wrote:

      > > I only just finished the second in the series "Golden Dragon"
      and
      > enjoyed it throughly. However, Lunn put Killigrew into a number of
      > impossible situations and then gets him out of them so easily that
      > it almost seemed incredible. Is was almost like James Bond or the
      > 1960's Batman TV series. The Penguin or Mr. Freeze would have
      > Batman tied up with a bomb ticking away and Batman would reach into
      > his utility belt and WHAM, POW, YIKES, he and Robin would escape.
      >
      > I'm not really complaining, I was the only one in my family who
      > enjoyed the Batman series (lots of chuckles) and I loved the James
      > Bond movies (Goldfinger my favorite).
      >
      > Did anyone else think that Kit Killigrew had too much of a charmed
      > life?
      > Don

      I don't think he lived too much of a charmed life - in fact, in the
      latest book he got into a situation which I couldn't see he was going
      to get out of.

      You mention Bond; have you read the preface in the books?

      Also, the mention of charmed lives brings to mind the factual
      officers of the period; some were taken in their prime, and some
      lived to old age -- hadn't they equally charmed lives?

      - Cookie -
    • Don Campbell
      Message 2 of 14 , May 1, 2005
        > I don't think he lived too much of a charmed life - in fact, in
        the
        > latest book he got into a situation which I couldn't see he was
        going
        > to get out of.
        >
        > You mention Bond; have you read the preface in the books?
        >
        > Also, the mention of charmed lives brings to mind the factual
        > officers of the period; some were taken in their prime, and some
        > lived to old age -- hadn't they equally charmed lives?
        >
        > - Cookie -

        Cookie, when I mentioned a charmed life, I meant that he seemed to
        get out of impossible situations, again and again. In fact, in the
        second book, Killigrew got into three or four situations and
        appeared to be just seconds away from death, only to have something
        happen to change that at the last moment. I'm glad to hear that
        this aspect of Kit's life continues into the current book.

        It makes the books a little unbelievable... but I happen to like
        that surreal aspect of this series. I went back and reread the
        prefaces and found the reference to Lunn being a young James Bond
        fan (Man with the Golden Gun, his first).

        My favorite movie dialog --
        Bond: Do you expect me to talk?
        Goldfinger: No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die.

        Seriously, your comment about real life officers of the period is
        more than interesting. God's will, fate, karma, joss, whatever
        caused some men with superior skills to die by chance, early in
        their careers, while others retired after long (and dangerous)
        service is something to ponder. Maybe a subject beyond the scope of
        the discussion by this group, but worth pondering, nevertheless.

        Don