Naval heroes in fiction

  • Mil Goose
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 1 12:39 AM
       Ummm

      Thinking time again!!

      Who is your favourite naval fictional hero and why?  ..... (and it doesn't have to be Bolitho, out of loyalty to this list........LOL)

      .....for me, our Dick will always hold a place in my affections as that is where I started off on the Big Voyage through naval fiction, but confess, that Jack Aubrey is my favourite.

      I never wanted him to be......I listened to folks (this will make my Admiral cough......LOL.....and probably have him dismiss me from command of his flagship) .....I was quite prepared to hate reading POB.....but I literally fell overboard for his writing....and JA is my favourite!

      Looking forward to some lively  discussion.....and remember, its WHO IS YOUR FAVOURITE HERO ......not writer.......we can do favourite writers next time, if this gets a good response.

      Best wishes
      - Cookie -
      Flag Captain (for the moment ....LOL)
       N52:39 E0:09

    • kirbdog53@aol.com
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 1 12:40 AM
        In a message dated 7/1/2004 12:38:51 AM Pacific Standard Time, mmgoose@... writes:
        <<<its WHO IS YOUR FAVOURITE HERO >>>
        Patrick Dalton, from the Dan Parkinson books.

        Gary
      • Brad
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 1 12:54 AM
          Okay. This is not actually very easy. There are so many! How broad a range would we be looking at here? If I can include modern seafaring heroes it would be a toss up between Dutchy Holland in J.E MacDonnell's WWII books (hey he's an Aussie) or Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt. I love the way Pitt and Giordino play off one another.

          If I am restricted to Age of Sail heroes then it would have to be Nicolas Ramage or Aubrey. Aubrey is so human it is sometimes frustrating. I think he's great and now I will always picture him as Russell Crowe. Ramage is just so charming and an amazing strategist. I love the byplay between him and his crew.

          Just my two bits worth.

          Brad

[...]

          ---
          Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

          ---

        • Brad
          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 1 12:55 AM
            On this topic. One of my new Lieutenants aboard Paris will be something of a clone of Dirk Pitt. I hope.

            ---

          • Mil Goose
            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 1 1:41 AM
              --- In Bolitho@yahoogroups.com, kirbdog53@a... wrote:

              > In a message dated 7/1/2004 12:38:51 AM Pacific Standard Time,
              > mmgoose@m... writes:
              >
              > <<<its WHO IS YOUR FAVOURITE HERO >>>
              >

              > Patrick Dalton, from the Dan Parkinson books.
              >
              > Gary

              ........what are your reaons, Gary?

              I've some of Parkinson books.....as yet unread, so shall be
              interested to hear your reasons.

              - Cookie -
            • Mil Goose
              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 1 1:48 AM
                --- In Bolitho@yahoogroups.com, "Brad" <captbrad@d...> wrote:
                > Okay. This is not actually very easy. There are so many! How broad
                a range
                > would we be looking at here? If I can include modern seafaring
                heroes it
                > would be a toss up between Dutchy Holland in J.E MacDonnell's WWII
                books
                > (hey he's an Aussie) or Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt. I love the way
                Pitt and
                > Giordino play off one another.

                ......yes, I suppose I did intend to keep it to AoS, which I
                neglected to mention...LOL, but I see no reason why the discussion
                should not embrace more recent heroes. I don't read the "modern"
                stuff, but I know our Admiral does......so discuss away! :>)

                > If I am restricted to Age of Sail heroes then it would have to be
                Nicolas
                > Ramage or Aubrey. Aubrey is so human it is sometimes frustrating. I
                think
                > he's great and now I will always picture him as Russell Crowe.

                ......I don't picture him as Crowe, but I certainly hear RC's voice
                when I read. :>)

                Thanks for your input

                - Cookie -
              • Bob Squarebriggs
                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 1 4:20 AM
                  Huuummmmpppppppphhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Pon my soul, that Flag Captain of mine has a mind of her own!  I like that, I think I'll keep her!  Might be able to persuade her differently.........Aubrey, well really!

                  Thomas Kydd would be my choice!  Followed closely by our own Mr. Allday!  I suppose I can relate to Kydds character, more than I can to Sir Richards, or Nicholas Ramage (though Ramage would be a close second to Allday, I like how his mind works) , and Hornblower.  I do like Jack Aubrey, but the read to get through to the gems of story lines is just to much for me.

                  So I suppose that's it, Kydd for me.  Give me the life of a simple sailor.

                  I remain.......................

                  Bob........er.............your Admiral Sir Robert

                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 1 6:15 AM
                    In a message dated 7/1/2004 1:44:27 AM Pacific Standard Time, mmgoose@... writes:
                    .<<<.......what are your reaons, Gary?

                    I've some of Parkinson books.....as yet unread, so shall be
                    interested to hear your reasons.>>>
                    He places a high value on honor, even after being mistreated by the Royal Navy, He remains a gentleman, even while becoming a bit of a buccaneer, he has a streak of romanticism, and he is willing to fight against overwhelming odds. He commands through respect rather than fear and he always takes responsibility for his actions.

                    The Parkinson books aren't traditional AoS books, because the protagonist doesn't command Navy vessels for most of the series, but there is plenty of action anyway.

                    P.S. my second favorite character is Alan Lewrie, because I've always been a bit of a rogue.

                    Gary
                  • johniida@netscape.net
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 1 7:15 AM
                      Favorite hero in the age of sail? Like Brad, it is hard to pick just
                      one. Probably my favorites would have to include Richard Bolitho
                      (especially the younger Bolitho - Sloop of War) and Ramage. Both of
                      these men have courage, initiative, and the "never give up" attitude
                      that I would love to follow - whether it's storming an enemy battery,
                      taking a French Frigate (when your ship is a Sloop), or anything else
                      that the enemy should lay in our paths.

                      John
                    • SIMON NOBBS
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jul 1 7:17 AM
                        Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,
                        Good question from the Flag Captain.

                        Very difficult, but I seem to think along the lines of the Admiral ( I'm not grovelling - honest!!) - Nick Ramage has to be my favourite - he is one character who seems to have all the major attributes required; courage, understanding of others, tactical awareness, sense of humour, natural leader, yet despite his upbringing is modest about his achievements and at times seems unaware of the confidence and faith he instills in those around him.
                        Allday is probably my favourite from the Bolitho series, which has a lot of characters who dont necessarily live very long yet their separate personalities seem to really come to life (Brown with an 'E', and Francis Inch to name but two).
                        As far as Kydd is concerned I'm not sure if it is the personal attributes that he has, or rather the superb way in which Stockwin portrays him. Like the Admiral, I too find that this is in contrast to Aubrey who is probably an excellent character, but the effort of trying to read the damned books is too much for my simple soul.

                        Capt Simon

                        Mil Goose <mmgoose@...> wrote:
                         Ummm

                        Thinking time again!!

                        Who is your favourite naval fictional hero and why?  ..... (and it doesn't have to be Bolitho, out of loyalty to this list........LOL)

                        .....for me, our Dick will always hold a place in my affections as that is where I started off on the Big Voyage through naval fiction, but confess, that Jack Aubrey is my favourite.

                        I never wanted him to be......I listened to folks (this will make my Admiral cough......LOL.....and probably have him dismiss me from command of his flagship) .....I was quite prepared to hate reading POB.....but I literally fell overboard for his writing....and JA is my favourite!

                        Looking forward to some lively  discussion.....and remember, its WHO IS YOUR FAVOURITE HERO ......not writer.......we can do favourite writers next time, if this gets a good response.

                        Best wishes
                        - Cookie -
                        Flag Captain (for the moment ....LOL)
                         N52:39 E0:09

                        > ATTACHMENT part 2 application/octet-stream name=4_12_5.gif

                        > ATTACHMENT part 3 application/octet-stream name=sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb047
                      • Mark Gutis
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jul 1 8:18 AM
                          For me, it's Richard. While there is something appealing about Nick Ramage and his ability to take the smallest opportunity and make it a big victory, I prefer Richard. There is a somber and somewhat dark side to Richard's personality with which I identify strongly.

                          Captain Mark G.
                          HMS Golden Harp (44)

                          P.S. I'm off to Philadelphia Friday for the Irish Dancing Nationals. We are entered in an 8-hand. Last Sunday, our 4-hand placed second in a feis in North Haven, CT and I placed first in the jig, my first individual competition. My partner in the 8-hand also placed first in the reel and slip-jig, her first individual competitions.
                        • sgt1156@yahoo.com
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jul 1 10:55 AM
                            My favorite is Dewey Lambdin's Alan Lewrie. He is so
                            irreverent and not as sanctimonious as other
                            characters I have read about.

                            I like Bolitho a lot as well, but not as much as
                            Lewrie.

                            I am new to this list and really enjoy the dialog that
                            goes on here.

                            Thanks for letting me participate.

                            Scott Thomas

                            --- Mil Goose <mmgoose@...> wrote:

                            > Thinking time again!!
                            >
                            > Who is your favourite naval fictional hero and why?
                            > ..... (and it doesn't have to be Bolitho, out of
                            > loyalty to this list........LOL)
                            >
                            > .....for me, our Dick will always hold a place in my
                            > affections as that is where I started off on the Big
                            > Voyage through naval fiction, but confess, that Jack
                            > Aubrey is my favourite.
                            >
                            > I never wanted him to be......I listened to folks
                            > (this will make my Admiral cough......LOL.....and
                            > probably have him dismiss me from command of his
                            > flagship) .....I was quite prepared to hate reading
                            > POB.....but I literally fell overboard for his
                            > writing....and JA is my favourite!
                            >
                            > Looking forward to some lively discussion.....and
                            > remember, its WHO IS YOUR FAVOURITE HERO ......not
                            > writer.......we can do favourite writers next time,
                            > if this gets a good response.
                            >

                            > Best wishes
                            > - Cookie -
                            > Flag Captain (for the moment ....LOL)
                            > N52:39 E0:09

                            name=4_12_5.gif

                            name=sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb047

                            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                          • Brad
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jul 1 4:54 PM
                              Hey, Scott. wecome aboard and thank YOU for joining and joining in! The more the merrier I say. Why don't you tell us some more about yourself and maybe the Admiral will find you a ship so you can get into the role playing as well.

                              Now I'll have to go and find some of Lambdin's books. Everybody seems to like them.

                              Brad

                              --- Mil Goose <mmgoose@...> wrote:

                              > Thinking time again!!
                              >
                              > Who is your favourite naval fictional hero and why?
                              > ..... (and it doesn't have to be Bolitho, out of
                              > loyalty to this list........LOL)
                              >
                              > .....for me, our Dick will always hold a place in my
                              > affections as that is where I started off on the Big
                              > Voyage through naval fiction, but confess, that Jack
                              > Aubrey is my favourite.
                              >
                              > I never wanted him to be......I listened to folks
                              > (this will make my Admiral cough......LOL.....and
                              > probably have him dismiss me from command of his
                              > flagship) .....I was quite prepared to hate reading
                              > POB.....but I literally fell overboard for his
                              > writing....and JA is my favourite!
                              >
                              > Looking forward to some lively  discussion.....and
                              > remember, its WHO IS YOUR FAVOURITE HERO ......not
                              > writer.......we can do favourite writers next time,
                              > if this gets a good response.
                              >

                              > Best wishes
                              > - Cookie -
                              > Flag Captain (for the moment ....LOL)
                              >  N52:39 E0:09

                              name=4_12_5.gif

                              name=sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb047

                              ---

                            • Bob Squarebriggs
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jul 1 6:56 PM
                                Welcome aboard Scott, always nice to have a fresh face aboard. Look forward
                                to hearing more from you in the future. Tis a fine crew we have aboard this
                                barkie!

                                I remain..................

                                Bob......................aka: Admiral Sir Robert
                                HMS Odin (74)

                                > My favorite is Dewey Lambdin's Alan Lewrie. He is so
                                > irreverent and not as sanctimonious as other
                                > characters I have read about.
                                >
                                > I like Bolitho a lot as well, but not as much as
                                > Lewrie.
                                >
                                > I am new to this list and really enjoy the dialog that
                                > goes on here.
                                >
                                > Thanks for letting me participate.
                                >
                                > Scott Thomas
                              • Dave Bennett
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jul 1 7:16 PM
                                  Well, Happy Canada Day to all our Canadian readers.

                                  I think my favourite is Nick Ramage. There would be an awful clump for
                                  second though: Bolitho and Drinkwater and Hornblower probably tied there,
                                  and Aubrey and Maturin for third place.

                                  Dave Bennett
                                  Aldergrove, B.C.
                                  Imagination is more important than knowledge .... Einstein
                                • Dave Bennett
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jul 1 7:20 PM
                                    Good luck in the dance comp, Mark!

                                    (Do they tell dancers to "break a leg?")

                                    >P.S. I'm off to Philadelphia Friday for the Irish Dancing Nationals. We
                                    >are entered in an 8-hand. Last Sunday, our 4-hand placed second in a feis
                                    >in North Haven, CT and I placed first in the jig, my first individual
                                    >competition. My partner in the 8-hand also placed first in the reel and
                                    >slip-jig, her first individual competitions.

                                    Dave Bennett
                                    Aldergrove, B.C.
                                    Imagination is more important than knowledge .... Einstein
                                  • Stephen Chalker
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jul 2 4:17 AM
                                      Yes, but can yee do the highland fling?!
                                      Lt. Songdog

                                      (Do they tell dancers to "break a leg?")

                                      >P.S. I'm off to Philadelphia Friday for the Irish Dancing Nationals. We
                                      >are entered in an 8-hand. Last Sunday, our 4-hand placed second in a feis
                                      >in North Haven, CT and I placed first in the jig, my first individual
                                      >competition. My partner in the 8-hand also placed first in the reel and
                                      >slip-jig, her first individual competitions.

                                      Dave Bennett
                                      Aldergrove, B.C.
                                      Imagination is more important than knowledge .... Einstein

                                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                      click here

                                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                                    • Mark Gutis
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jul 2 4:46 AM
                                        Nae, laddie. Hornpipe, jig, reel, slip-jig, treble-jig and treble-reel. And we don't use our arms although we kick butt!

                                        Mark

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jul 2 4:56 AM
                                          Good luck Mark, I won't be too far away in Westminster MD., north of Baltimore, and just south of Gettysburg.
                                          Lt.Songdog

                                          BTW, waiting on new plates for my new toy, a 2004 VW GTI, the plates?  Songdog 1, of course!

                                          Nae, laddie. Hornpipe, jig, reel, slip-jig, treble-jig and treble-reel. And we don't use our arms although we kick butt!

                                          Mark
                                          Yes, but can yee do the highland fling?!
                                          Lt. Songdog

                                          (Do they tell dancers to "break a leg?")

                                          >P.S. I'm off to Philadelphia Friday for the Irish Dancing Nationals. We
                                          >are entered in an 8-hand. Last Sunday, our 4-hand placed second in a feis
                                          >in North Haven, CT and I placed first in the jig, my first individual
                                          >competition. My partner in the 8-hand also placed first in the reel and
                                          >slip-jig, her first individual competitions.

                                          Dave Bennett
                                          Aldergrove, B.C.
                                          Imagination is more important than knowledge .... Einstein

                                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                          click here

                                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                          click here

                                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                                        • Tony
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jul 2 2:46 PM
                                            My favourite, for all his many faults and introspection, must be Horatio Hornblower. A great grasp of both tactics and strategy, brave as a lion and not afraid to dump a tyrant down a convenient hatchway. But Oh what a tangled love life he led, maybe because he was so compassionate (as well as passionate), but he still had an ice cold brain for warfare.
                                            As with Bolitho, I prefer his early years, maybe because I never made flag rank myself, not even in my sailing days when I was just another comittee member, all work and no glory! Thats why I like my cyber job at the Admiralty.
                                            Rear Admiral Tony
                                            Admiralty

                                            P.S. Congratulations on your new frigate, Sir Bradley, she sounds a winner.
                                          • Brad
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jul 4 3:51 AM
                                              Thanks Admiral Tony. It seems funny to be 'Sir' Bradley. I had gotten myself into a bind with the storyline as I couldn't marry Lady Helen without some form of title. I had to think of a way out. My real life spouse is called Helen and she really wanted the wedding to take place so I had to become a knight or else :)

                                              The Paris is a virtual twin of Indefatigable and Anson. She would still not be a match for Constitution though. Thank goodness the French don't have anything like her!

                                              Captain Brad

[...]

                                            • Paul Donald Benham
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jul 17 4:38 PM

                                                Cookie and New Mates,
                                                I will answer your question and also introduce myself in this one post. I was
                                                invited over by Mil Goose/Cookie from Crowe/Aubrey and have been "testing the
                                                waters" for a few weeks. I have no clue concerning role- playing but I am
                                                certaianly interested. I live on Whidbey Island in Washington state in the
                                                USA, and I build shipmodels/boats in wood and brass to rediculously tight
                                                tolerances and standards of workmanship and research accuracy. I am in
                                                industrial QA as my present occupation. I am a member of nine internet lists
                                                that are nautically oriented, and now freely contribute,(when I actually have
                                                something to say that might be of interest). I have read all of A. Kent's
                                                Bolitho series except "Man of War" which I am presently reading, and see the
                                                late Admiral Richard Bolitho as my hands down favorite. Kent/Reeman, I must
                                                admit, often scares me whitless- he seems to have no fear of introducing
                                                characters and causing me to care for them; then quickly killing them off.
                                                R. Bolitho was a very fine man, with both inner strengths, beliefs,
                                                consistancy and frailness I can definately relate to. I still mourn his
                                                falling, as I also do the "girl with the moonlit eyes".

                                                I Am As Always, Yours,

                                                "Mil Goose" <mmgoose@...> wrote:

                                                > Thinking time again!!
                                                >
                                                > Who is your favourite naval fictional hero and why? ..... (and it doesn't
                                                have to be Bolitho, out of loyalty to this list........LOL)

                                                > ....for me, our Dick will always hold a place in my affections as that is
                                                where I started off on the Big Voyage through naval fiction, but confess, that
                                                Jack Aubrey is my favourite.

                                                > I never wanted him to be......I listened to folks (this will make my Admiral
                                                cough......LOL.....and probably have him dismiss me from command of his
                                                flagship) .....I was quite prepared to hate reading POB.....but I literally
                                                fell overboard for his writing....and JA is my favourite!

                                                > Looking forward to some lively discussion.....and remember, its WHO IS YOUR
                                                FAVOURITE HERO ......not writer.......we can do favourite writers next time,
                                                if this gets a good response.

                                                > Best wishes
                                                > - Cookie -
                                                > Flag Captain (for the moment ....LOL)
                                                > N52:39 E0:09

                                                Paul Donald Benham
                                                Whidbey Island, WA
                                                Member MARHST-L and Seaway's SSL
                                                feed a shelter animal free at
                                                >http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com<
                                              • Paul Donald Benham
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Jul 17 4:46 PM
                                                  I'll have to pick up Lamdin's latest, apparently, as I have become somewhat
                                                  bored w the series as a result of "Jester". Perhaps it is I who have changed,
                                                  not so much the series, but I'm not surprised by it anymore.

                                                  "http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1295mfmga/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr

                                                  oups/S=1705737312:HM/EXP=1088790906/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://comp

                                                  "http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Jul 17 6:31 PM
                                                    A pleasure to make your acquaintance Paul, welcome aboard. Nice to see
                                                    another ship modeller in our happy group.

                                                    There hasn't been a great deal of activity lately, but as you can see from
                                                    our archives, we do have a lively gang here , by time. I suppose with
                                                    summer and all, most of our mates are ashore on well deserved leave. But I
                                                    am sure that they will return in due course and shan't be adrift from their
                                                    station.

                                                    I would be interested in seeing some of your model building results, if you
                                                    would care to share them. I hope you have taken the opportunity of checking
                                                    out our FAQ's and archives, our Capt. Simon has a beautiful model of a Naval
                                                    Cutter, Sherbourne, built and is well worth a peek. Sir James has a model
                                                    of H.M.S. Victory begun and a WW1 aircraft as well.

                                                    I look forward to your input in our discussions and again, welcome aboard.

                                                    I remain........................

                                                    Bob.............................Admiral Sir Robert
                                                    HMS Odin (74)

                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Jul 18 11:26 AM
                                                      --- In Bolitho@yahoogroups.com, Paul Donald Benham <nauthst@u...>
                                                      wrote:

                                                      > Cookie and New Mates,
                                                      > I will answer your question and also introduce myself in this one
                                                      post. I was
                                                      > invited over by Mil Goose/Cookie from Crowe/Aubrey and have
                                                      been "testing the
                                                      > waters" for a few weeks.

                                                      Hi Paul

                                                      ......glad you've posted and hope you will enjoy yourself here.

                                                      We've been quiet of late, but hopefully you'll liven us up a bit. LOL

                                                      - Cookie -
                                                      aka Mil/Mary