Re: Re: [Bolitho] Simon...sorry to hear of your accident.

  • Joe OSteen
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 1, 2004
      I thank you ,Sir!..These will do just fine once I print them on glossy photo paper..
          I am afraid Mr. Beauchamp is in for some trouble with a mutiny on his hands.  What with his mixed crew which includes Irishmen and alleged French Royalist who may not be what they profess to be, he will be fortunate to keep his ship. Pursuit of Honor is due out in November of this year while the 2nd edition of Falcon's Revenge will be released in September with a new cover and corrected pagination.
      Thank You again for the photos of your beautiful work.
      Captain Viper (Joe)

      Bob Squarebriggs <squbrigg@...> wrote:
      My compliments Captain Viper,

      I trust this finds you in good health and spirit.  I would imagine you have been keeping busy with your work on Mr. Beauchamp, and keeping that rascal out of trouble?

      I have loaded several shots of my latest carvings and pictures of Seaflower and Shannon at this site, easier to share with others and you can download as you wish.

      I remain............................

      Bob...........Admiral Sir Robert
           I would be proud to have a photo of your Seaflour and Shannon should you be able to send them. I'll display them along side my M&C Poster and Stockwin post cards.
      Regards
      Captain Viper
      HMS Defiant
      Detached, Special Duty
      North American Station
      Southern Command

      Joseph L. O'Steen
      Author, Falcon's Revenge book one of the
      Nathan Beauchamp of the Royal Navy Series
      Snug Harbor Novels, Neetso Publishing
      http://josephlosteen.com
      755 Delespine Ave
      St. Augustine, Fl 32084
      USA
      (904)824-1453
      Professional Memberships
      Florida Writers Association
      Authors With Hearts
      Not the Usual Way Independent Authors
      Watch for Falcon's Revenge" 2nd edition in September 2004 & "Pursuit of Honor" in November 2004 from Jada Press
    • Bob Squarebriggs

        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 1, 2004
          great photos Bob. That bandsaw certainly looks a beast!

          James

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 2, 2004
            They are fantastic, congratulations on being so skilled, a true craftsman.  I wish I had the patience and time to do that.  Thank you for sharing them with us.

            Phil Waters

            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 2, 2004
              Thank you James and Phil, for your kind words. Ship modelling becomes somewhat of an obcession  after a bit, you have to keep trying new ships and new methods.  Great for the soul though, helps keep head, and body together, fantastic relaxation and therapy.

              How is your new project coming along James, Le Gros Ventres?  Have you recieved your monographs yet?  From the sounds of it, they are really something and the cost is modest.  That is a wonderful way to build, a great learning experience, you shall learn so many new skills and have those great resources available.  I have been following the groups progress daily, and am tempted to do one, but with this summers adventure, I think that my hands will be full.

              Good luck and enjoy,

              Bob.................your, Admiral Sir Robert
            • James Goddard
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 2, 2004
                Hi there Bob

                Unfortuatly (sp?) I have not started GV yet. I'm currently off work with high blood pressure and rattling with all the damn tablets I have to take, so the old income has dropped like a stone. next week sees my 3rd week off work and work is pressuring me to go back high BP or not! I suppose I could go on holiday..  but no money to do it with!

                My Doctor sucked his teeth last friday and said that it had come down but it was still too high at 160/124, but better than the 210/179 the hospital recorded during a stay there in Feburary! (the consultant also sucked his teeth at that pressure and so did all his associate doctors - it sounded like a steam train pulling in to a station. A bit disconcerting to see them all peer at me as if they expected me to either explode or expire in front of them. Needless to say I dissapointed them!)

                I am willing to volunteer this outstanding pressure ratio to NASA in the hope that I can get a shuttle into orbit and bring my excess pressure back to something approaching normal!

                so, at the moment with only getting the paltry "sick pay" (those here in the UK will no doubt wince at this paltry sum on which I have to survive) leaves me with no option but to wait until I can happily afford the 125 Euros for the plans (donations accepted LOL) - I have found a business willing to mill the timber to my requirements at a very reasonable cost. I just have to choose the timber I want.... any advice there?

                So, at the moment I find myself sitting on my hands on the financial front and only spending what I have to.

                I am, in fact, at this moment in time considering resurecting my kit of Corels HMS Victory and trying to overcome the problem I found myself with after finishing the first hull planking layer. It will pass time, but I'm not sure what it will do to the blood pressure!!! (it was the "Other" Victory I gave up on!)

                I think that this summer for you will be a good one with plenty to do and I think that GV would be an excellent build for you to have a go at.

                Have you visited the forum recently? there's been quite a discussion about the building board. I'd like ot know your views on that.

                Yours in the cause

                James

                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 5, 2004
                  Hey James,

                  Sorry to hear that you are still plagued with BP problems, you should get into GV, that should lower your BP fast, I find that ship modelling is very relaxing !  I have been following their progress closely, I love the building board they are using, better than one I had seen before, and I am going to put one together for a hull of an American frigate I had done some work on, the U.S.S. Essex . I started the hull years ago, have a bunch of ribs already done, (30 or so), keel, stem and stern deadwood but never bothered to keep on to it, one of the projects I had to let slide after my accident. That building board will be just the ticket.  Now all I need is some plywood.

                  125 Euros for the monograph is a  pretty reasonable price, what all do you get for that?  I am tempted. For lumber, I would go with Boxwood or Swiss Pear if I were you, and if you lived over here, I'd suggest Maple.  That process will be a good trial for my new bandsaw!  You would love this saw James, cuts sweet, lots of power and as straight as an arrow.  The cuts are so smooth that you hardly need sanding.  It is a Laguna saw, designed in the U.S., built for them somewhere in Europe, a really superior saw, much better than the cheap ones that are on the market mostly.  Expensive, but....should last a life time.  They also make their own saw blades, a Resaw King specialty blade, a full 1" wide.  Cuts some slick!!!  You can put a full log right off the tree on the table and saw your own boards, the motor is a one and a half horsepower and is industrial 230 volt.  I had to have a electrician come in and run wiring for it in my house. And that saw, the one I have is the LT14", their smallest bandsaw.  Will cut a 8 1/2" block and their next is a 2 hp 14" SE that cuts a 12" block, and they go up from there, 16" with 3 hp, 16HD, 18", 18HD, 20", 22" all 5 hp, and so on.  Check out their web site at www.lagunatools.com

                  I hope you get back on your feet soon and can get your GV ordered and started.  Good luck.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 5, 2004
                    hi there Bob

                    125 Euros is about 205 canadian Dollars. for that you get quite a package. You might be better ordering the GV plans package from Pier Book, Piermount, NY as they are the official distributors for the US and Canada.

                    The plans that come in the package are 1:48 scale, but for an extra 40 Euros (66 Canadian Dollars) there's a set at 1:32 available from Ancre in France. If you want the 1:32 set you have to order both from Ancre in France I believe.

                    to see what the plans package contains go here:

                    Thanks for the link for the bandsaw.

                    We are planning to build a new house here shortly and I'm having a small room just for building my models in. There won't be room for something that big, but I'm planning it carefully so I have plenty room for equipment storage - maybe looking on having something on the lines of a series of holes on a bench where I can put machines when I need them and take them out and replace them with others. Not sure if you understand what I mean though!

                    I do want to start GV, but with my income dropped like a stone due to being off work I've to wait. my priority at the moment is to pay off my trip to Germany with the band. Once that is done then maybe I can look at saving up for GV