Re: [Bolitho] to all group shipwrights.. especially Adm Bob!

  • Bob Squarebriggs
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1 8:46 AM
      James,

      I've been looking at their forum, quite extensive, and a good array of builders from around the world beginning to build the model.  From what I understand, the idea is for this first group to go through the building process together.  Most are experienced modellers, most with kits, but this is no kit.  Just drawings to work from.  It would be an interesting process, and I am going to keep an eye on it.  I can always gain from their (or anyone elses) experience. Looks like you can build in 1:48 or 1:36, optional plans available.  Good team of support folks available to tutor the "students" along.

      I remain...............

      Bob

      It's come to my attention that there's a special (or what looks like) project world and internet wide, to build the Gros Venture (I think it's a 16 gun French sloop??) from scratch.. all the frames, internal planking etc... it's 1:48 scale so it would be a reasonable size LOL

      I must say that I'm interested in having a go at this... now now, Bob.. don't start tearing your hair out yet! ;-)

    • James Goddard
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2 12:58 PM
        Bob,

        I think that I'm goingto take the plunge and join in. I think that it would be an interesting experience and I'm sure that I shall learn lots. I hope that I can also draw on your vast experience too. Would you like a copy of the plans when I get them??

        James
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2 9:29 PM
          Hi James,

          As always, I am at your service, to assist my shipmates in any way I can.

          In reading the messages on their site, I find that they have an excellent support staff, one of whom is building a model along with the participants.  As they all are building to the exact same drawings, and building together, common difficulties are solved quickly, efficiently and quite methodically.  What ever help I can be, is available to you, but I feel that the "expertise" within their group far exceed my own experience.  This program will certainly teach you new skills and improve your level of ship modelling, no matter at what level you begin.  The multi-participant involvement will boost all members drive to keep up their progress and not fall behind.

          I would love a copy of those plans or monographs as they refer to them as, but I fear that they are quite large and would cause considerable difficulty in getting them copied.  As well, there is their reservation as to copyright, and they might frown upon it.  I have seen some of Boudroits monographs, and they are really works of art in their own right.  My copy of his book on History of the French Frigate is one of my most prized volumes. The drawings in it are absolutely beautiful.  I could only dream of owning his 4 volume set on the 74 Gun Ship of the Line, they run almost $800 CDN and are way beyond my modest means.  He also has individual volumes on several frigates and other vessels, IE: La Rennommee, that contain plans such as Gross Venture and they also are very expensive.  Perhaps one day I'll win a lottery!

          Best of luck to you if you take the plunge.  I'll be here if you need any help.

          All the best,