H.M.S. Fortune

  • aharbers@stud.tiho-hannover.de
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 1, 2001
      > Good Evening Commodore,
      >
      > Regarding "SaRenna" she is a cut-down 64. Began her
      > career as a small 3rd rate quite similar to Thomas
      > Herrick's "Impulsive". However a few years back the
      > Frogs launched a pair of monsterous 40 gun frigates
      > carrying 24 pounders on their gundecks. As the largest
      > British frigates of the time were 38s armed with 18
      > pounders the Admiralty was justifiably concerned.
      > Their was to take several old 64s, cut off the upper
      > gundecks and fit them out as very powerful frigates to
      > match the Frenchies (and later the Yanks). "SaRenna
      > was one of them, a more well known one was Sir Edward
      > Pellews "Indefatigable".
      >
      > As for how she compares to "Impulsive", "SaRenna"
      > is faster and a bit more manueverable but she lacks
      > "Impulsive's" upper deck 12 pounders.
      >
      > Hope that answers your questions.
      >
      > I have the honour to remain...
      >
      > Captain John
      > H.M. Frigate SaRenna, 44
      > North American Station

      Ahoy Captain John and the rest of Happy Few!

      You asked what types our ships are. Here´s my answer:
      When I first presented my H.M.S. Fortune, I wanted her to be a
      frigate, perhaps 38 guns, comparable with Tempest. Shortly after that,
      I was promoted to Commodore. And appropriate for the rank of a
      Commodore is, of course, a much stronger vessel. So my ship has to be
      a two-decker with 74 guns, built out of good Kentish oak (causing a
      heart of oak, naturally! :-)), highly manoeuvrable in action and
      showing excellent sailing characteristics. You can compare her
      with H.M.S. Benbow (74 guns). What else can a young Commodore wish
      for?? :-)
      Let´s see, what other ships are romping about in our squadron, I´m
      very curious!
      I have the honour to remain

      Commodore Percy
      H.M.S. Fortune
      North Sea Station, Bay of Heligoland
    • Shell Levy
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 1, 2001
        --- In Bolitho@y..., aharbers@s... wrote:
        > > Good Evening Commodore,
        > >
        > > Regarding "SaRenna" she is a cut-down 64. Began her
        > > career as a small 3rd rate quite similar to Thomas
        > > Herrick's "Impulsive". However a few years back the
        > > Frogs launched a pair of monsterous 40 gun frigates
        > > carrying 24 pounders on their gundecks. As the largest
        > > British frigates of the time were 38s armed with 18
        > > pounders the Admiralty was justifiably concerned.
        > > Their was to take several old 64s, cut off the upper
        > > gundecks and fit them out as very powerful frigates to
        > > match the Frenchies (and later the Yanks). "SaRenna
        > > was one of them, a more well known one was Sir Edward
        > > Pellews "Indefatigable".
        > >
        > > As for how she compares to "Impulsive", "SaRenna"
        > > is faster and a bit more manueverable but she lacks
        > > "Impulsive's" upper deck 12 pounders.
        > >
        > > Hope that answers your questions.
        > >
        > > I have the honour to remain...
        > >
        > > Captain John
        > > H.M. Frigate SaRenna, 44
        > > North American Station
        >

        > Ahoy Captain John and the rest of Happy Few!
        >
        > You asked what types our ships are. Here´s my answer:
        > When I first presented my H.M.S. Fortune, I wanted her to be a
        > frigate, perhaps 38 guns, comparable with Tempest. Shortly after
        that,
        > I was promoted to Commodore. And appropriate for the rank of a
        > Commodore is, of course, a much stronger vessel. So my ship has to
        be
        > a two-decker with 74 guns, built out of good Kentish oak (causing a
        > heart of oak, naturally! :-)), highly manoeuvrable in action and
        > showing excellent sailing characteristics. You can compare her
        > with H.M.S. Benbow (74 guns). What else can a young Commodore wish
        > for?? :-)
        > Let´s see, what other ships are romping about in our squadron, I´m
        > very curious!
        > I have the honour to remain
        >
        > Commodore Percy
        > H.M.S. Fortune
        > North Sea Station, Bay of Heligoland

        Commodore Percy,

        As you gave me HMS Andromeda, I would be honoured for you to describe
        her to the group.

        Sir Shell, KB <knight of the Bone>
        Captain of Musicians
      • Squarebriggs
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 1, 2001
          My Dear Capt. Shell,

          If I may be so bold, as to answer your question for my dear Commodore Percy,
          as I feel that I bear the responsibility by recommending the command.

          HMS Andromeda (32) is a new ship of the 12 pounder frigate class of which
          she is the title ship (Andromeda Class) There were six ships built in the
          class, Andromeda, Hermione, Druid, Penelope, Aquilon, and Blanche. She was
          built in Suttons Yard in Liverpool, laid down in May 1781 and launched in 21
          April 1784, and fitted out in Plymouth. She is 129 ft. 0" on her gun deck,
          106' 9 3/4" on her keel, 35' 5 1/2 ' wide and has a depth of 12' 7 ' in her
          hold, and is 714 36/94 burden tons. For armaments, she carries 26 x 12
          pounders on her gun deck, 4 x 6 pounders on the quarterdeck, 2 x 6 pounders
          on the forecastle. You may wish to change the quarterdeck and forecastle
          guns, by using 18 or 24 pounder carronades. She also has 12 x 1/2 pound
          swivels for close in work. She is a swift sailer, designed by Sir Edward
          Hunt, though a light frigate, I am sure that you will find her a suitable
          command for your talents and a delight to sail.

          Do be careful with her, their lordships paid dearly for her and would be
          most disappointed if you pranged her on your maiden voyage! :-)

          I trust that this information might be useful to you, and the 220 men that
          you have under you command presently aboard.

          I remain, ......

          Capt. Bob
          HMS Defiant, (74)
          on station off the fairwell buoy, Miramichi, NB, North American station