Re: [Bolger4Sale] Typhoon Bermuda

  • longbaymarine@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 7, 2011
      Hi Keith,

      Yes, seems like the lows form early June and then fine sailing through
      July, but I'd like to be out of the ocean by July. Remember we had a Hurricane
      in July once or should say a mid ocean Hurricane. That's a great sailing
      town you have up there! dayton

      In a message dated 6/7/2011 9:43:00 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      keith@... writes:

      Small boat missions are a joy to learn about - I hope your island hopping
      is fun. Re the lows - are there not always minor lows in the Caribbean
      forming this time of year? By that I mean the numerous lows that form but
      never develop into anything.

      Happy Sailing,

      Keith
      Oriental, NC

      On Jun 7, 2011, at 9:23 AM, longbaymarine@... wrote:

      > Hello to all,
      >
      > I've canceled the trip to Bermuda this year in the Typhoon due to the
      lows
      > forming in the Caribbean. June is the month for sailing offshore but
      trip
      > planning must begin with the words "all quiet in the tropics".
      >
      > I believe the Typhoon at 18' 6" to be the best full keel boat for the
      job,
      > probably not the best boat under 20 feet. Fully loaded with about 500
      lbs
      > of supplies and gear the scuppers need to be closed, the cockpit well is
      > then about water level, so I added two 1000 gph pumps in the well even
      though
      > I never had more that an ounce of water come aboard during the 2000
      > thousand ocean miles in the last five years.
      >
      > If you have a chance to see a Typhoon on a trailer, study the under
      water
      > sections. This is the shape that the ocean likes, this hull knows no
      > pounding and will rip a hole through short chop.
      >
      > If form follows function, and it does, the Typhoon ended up looking like
      > small yacht, everything goes together and it works.
      >
      > The boat is loaded and I have the sat phone for a month so I'm going
      inlet
      > hopping south to Charleston. If you're in the Myrtle Beach SC area and
      > would like to see the Typhoon, let me know. We are a common sight
      sailing along
      > the beach here. I'm a licensed captain and could take you sailing.
      >
      > Thank you for your time, I'll be back next year! Best
      > dayton

    • Len Turner
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 7, 2011
        Dayton,

        Glad to hear you're exercising wisdom and caution.  I'm wrung out after just finishing John Kretschmer's 'At The Mercy Of The Sea', the account of several sailors experiencing a hurricane in the Caribbean.

        I look forward to hearing about your journey.

        Fair winds,

        Len Turner