Modified AS29 For Sale

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 23, 2010
      If you're looking for a project boat to finish, check out "Island Time" over in the photo section.

      She is a AS29 that was built in 1994 by a professional yard in Florida out of fiberglass. The original owner had an offset 1200# swing keel put in instead of the leeboards and added lead internal ballast. He also made the bow pointed and designed an open transom which is really nice for getting provisions on board while at anchor. I sailed her, in her original configuration, up and down the East Coast (including a little offshore work in 10' seas) for over a year before starting modifications to make her more livable. A divorce caused me to stop working, and now I've decided that I'm ready to settle down here in Kansas.

      She comes with aluminum mast, maisail, boom, cushions, anchors, and a great '03 Loadmaster aluminum I-beam, three axle trailer with disc brakes. There are lots of the little parts sitting in my storeroom as well. Things like bilge pumps, foot pumps, interior lights, fans, etc. it all goes with her.

      I'd like to get $7000 for everything.

      Tom
    • TheM
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 23, 2010
        Sorry to be so dense, but I cannot find an "Island Time" section in the photo section. Can you elaborate?

        --- In Bolger4Sale@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tomseigler@...> wrote:

        > If you're looking for a project boat to finish, check out "Island Time" over in the photo section.
        >
        > She is a AS29 that was built in 1994 by a professional yard in Florida out of fiberglass. The original owner had an offset 1200# swing keel put in instead of the leeboards and added lead internal ballast. He also made the bow pointed and designed an open transom which is really nice for getting provisions on board while at anchor. I sailed her, in her original configuration, up and down the East Coast (including a little offshore work in 10' seas) for over a year before starting modifications to make her more livable. A divorce caused me to stop working, and now I've decided that I'm ready to settle down here in Kansas.
        >
        > She comes with aluminum mast, maisail, boom, cushions, anchors, and a great '03 Loadmaster aluminum I-beam, three axle trailer with disc brakes. There are lots of the little parts sitting in my storeroom as well. Things like bilge pumps, foot pumps, interior lights, fans, etc. it all goes with her.
        >
        > I'd like to get $7000 for everything.
        >
        > Tom

      • Tom
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 23, 2010
          'tis not you that is dense; it is I! The photos are over in the Bolger groups discussion photo section. I guess I'll need to see how to move them over here. My apology for the confusion.

          Tom

          --- In Bolger4Sale@yahoogroups.com, "TheM" <ccurtis-keyword-crusing.65bae6@...> wrote:

          > Sorry to be so dense, but I cannot find an "Island Time" section in the photo section. Can you elaborate?
          >

          > --- In Bolger4Sale@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tomseigler@> wrote:
          > >
          > > If you're looking for a project boat to finish, check out "Island Time" over in the photo section.
          > >
          > > She is a AS29 that was built in 1994 by a professional yard in Florida out of fiberglass. The original owner had an offset 1200# swing keel put in instead of the leeboards and added lead internal ballast. He also made the bow pointed and designed an open transom which is really nice for getting provisions on board while at anchor. I sailed her, in her original configuration, up and down the East Coast (including a little offshore work in 10' seas) for over a year before starting modifications to make her more livable. A divorce caused me to stop working, and now I've decided that I'm ready to settle down here in Kansas.
          > >
          > > She comes with aluminum mast, maisail, boom, cushions, anchors, and a great '03 Loadmaster aluminum I-beam, three axle trailer with disc brakes. There are lots of the little parts sitting in my storeroom as well. Things like bilge pumps, foot pumps, interior lights, fans, etc. it all goes with her.
          > >
          > > I'd like to get $7000 for everything.
          > >
          > > Tom

        • Tom
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 28, 2010
            I have created an album of "Island Time" photos if anyone is interested. Just go to "Photos" and have a look.

            Tom

            --- In Bolger4Sale@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tomseigler@...> wrote:

            > 'tis not you that is dense; it is I! The photos are over in the Bolger groups discussion photo section. I guess I'll need to see how to move them over here. My apology for the confusion.
            >
            > Tom
            >
            > --- In Bolger4Sale@yahoogroups.com, "TheM" <ccurtis-keyword-crusing.65bae6@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Sorry to be so dense, but I cannot find an "Island Time" section in the photo section. Can you elaborate?
            > >

            > > --- In Bolger4Sale@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tomseigler@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > If you're looking for a project boat to finish, check out "Island Time" over in the photo section.
            > > >
            > > > She is a AS29 that was built in 1994 by a professional yard in Florida out of fiberglass. The original owner had an offset 1200# swing keel put in instead of the leeboards and added lead internal ballast. He also made the bow pointed and designed an open transom which is really nice for getting provisions on board while at anchor. I sailed her, in her original configuration, up and down the East Coast (including a little offshore work in 10' seas) for over a year before starting modifications to make her more livable. A divorce caused me to stop working, and now I've decided that I'm ready to settle down here in Kansas.
            > > >
            > > > She comes with aluminum mast, maisail, boom, cushions, anchors, and a great '03 Loadmaster aluminum I-beam, three axle trailer with disc brakes. There are lots of the little parts sitting in my storeroom as well. Things like bilge pumps, foot pumps, interior lights, fans, etc. it all goes with her.
            > > >
            > > > I'd like to get $7000 for everything.
            > > >
            > > > Tom

          • podowitz
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 29, 2010
              Lots of questions, I'm afraid. Please be patient with them:

              -How is the boat powered, absent the AS29's stern mounted outboard? --Is the sail plan as originally designed?
              -I've always liked the idea of extending the doghouse forward to make a more traditional trunk cabin. Is the headroom a full 6'?
              -Is she fiberglass or plywood encapsulated in cloth? Epoxy?
              -Do you know or can you estimate her displacement? Weight of boat and trailer?
              -Is interior layout changed from original?
              -Why are there concrete blocks in the cockpit?
              More to follow, probably.

              Grateful for your attention.

              SHP

              --- In Bolger4Sale@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tomseigler@...> wrote:

              > If you're looking for a project boat to finish, check out "Island Time" over in the photo section.
              >
              > She is a AS29 that was built in 1994 by a professional yard in Florida out of fiberglass. The original owner had an offset 1200# swing keel put in instead of the leeboards and added lead internal ballast. He also made the bow pointed and designed an open transom which is really nice for getting provisions on board while at anchor. I sailed her, in her original configuration, up and down the East Coast (including a little offshore work in 10' seas) for over a year before starting modifications to make her more livable. A divorce caused me to stop working, and now I've decided that I'm ready to settle down here in Kansas.
              >
              > She comes with aluminum mast, maisail, boom, cushions, anchors, and a great '03 Loadmaster aluminum I-beam, three axle trailer with disc brakes. There are lots of the little parts sitting in my storeroom as well. Things like bilge pumps, foot pumps, interior lights, fans, etc. it all goes with her.
              >
              > I'd like to get $7000 for everything.
              >
              > Tom

            • Tom
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 29, 2010
                Thanks for your interest.

                The boat was powered with a 4-stroke Yamaha 9.9 mounted on a bracket centered on the stern. It pushed the boat at 6.5kts burning 1/2 gal/hr. The motor was a '94. I passed it on to a stranded cruiser.

                There is 6' headroom at the companionway. As you go forward it drops to about 5'9".

                The original hull is solid fiberglass layed up with vinylester resin. I insulated the hull by attaching tapered polyurethane foam panels (3' to 11/2") to the exterior of the original hull and then glassing over using diagonal biased cloth w/mat(DBM) four layers thick with an addition three layers at the chine and deck. There are several advantages to adding the insulation. It stops interior sweating, stiffens the hull sides, and adds three inches to the sidedecks for safety. The total width is still road legal at 8'6".

                Her current weight is around 7500lbs. the trailer weighs 1500lbs, and is rated to 10,500lbs. It pulls easily behind a 1-ton dually at 70mph.

                Yes, the interior is different. Starting forward and working aft, there is a chain locker, storage area athwart ships, then shelves port and starboard; headroom in this area is about 4'6". Entering the main cabin the headroom increases, there are 7' settees port and starboard w/the starboard settee being a couple of inches wider than the port. Both are quite comfortable, and there is a huge amount of storage under thanks to the hull shape. Aft of the settees: to port is the galley and to starboard is the offset swing-keel and the head (the stainless steel tanks in the pics are in the head. they are 12"X12"X48" tanks). Under the cockpit is a queen-sized berth. When I redid the cabin top, I expanded the head area a few inches, but didn't move any bulkheads. I did lengthen the bridgedeck by cutting the cockpit down to six feet to open up the master berth a little. Aft of the master, midship is a storage area where I believe the outboard would be in the original design. In the cockpit there are deep lockers port and starboard aft. Aft of the cockpit are recesses for 2 six gallon outboard tanks.

                The concrete blocks are being used to hold a piece of Hardy board over the companionway to keep snow and rain out. I'll throw them into the deal if you want them.:)

                If you have more questions, just ask. I have done a lot of thinking about the changes I have made and those planned. I will gladly share them with you.

                Tom
                --- In Bolger4Sale@yahoogroups.com, "podowitz" <s.podowitz@...> wrote:

                > Lots of questions, I'm afraid. Please be patient with them:
                >
                > -How is the boat powered, absent the AS29's stern mounted outboard? --Is the sail plan as originally designed?
                > -I've always liked the idea of extending the doghouse forward to make a more traditional trunk cabin. Is the headroom a full 6'?
                > -Is she fiberglass or plywood encapsulated in cloth? Epoxy?
                > -Do you know or can you estimate her displacement? Weight of boat and trailer?
                > -Is interior layout changed from original?
                > -Why are there concrete blocks in the cockpit?
                > More to follow, probably.
                >
                > Grateful for your attention.
                >
                > SHP
                >
                > --- In Bolger4Sale@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tomseigler@> wrote:
                > >
                > > If you're looking for a project boat to finish, check out "Island Time" over in the photo section.
                > >
                > > She is a AS29 that was built in 1994 by a professional yard in Florida out of fiberglass. The original owner had an offset 1200# swing keel put in instead of the leeboards and added lead internal ballast. He also made the bow pointed and designed an open transom which is really nice for getting provisions on board while at anchor. I sailed her, in her original configuration, up and down the East Coast (including a little offshore work in 10' seas) for over a year before starting modifications to make her more livable. A divorce caused me to stop working, and now I've decided that I'm ready to settle down here in Kansas.
                > >
                > > She comes with aluminum mast, maisail, boom, cushions, anchors, and a great '03 Loadmaster aluminum I-beam, three axle trailer with disc brakes. There are lots of the little parts sitting in my storeroom as well. Things like bilge pumps, foot pumps, interior lights, fans, etc. it all goes with her.
                > >
                > > I'd like to get $7000 for everything.
                > >
                > > Tom

              • Tom
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 29, 2010
                  I missed your first question in my previous response. I did plan a new sail plan based on having sailed her. The Bowsprit was added to accomodate a headsail and I planned on moving the maststep aft to create a sloop. The mainsail is a large roached full-battened sail with a 24' hoist and 20' foot. Think catamaran. I had planned on four stays, no spreaders, from the deck to the top of the mast (two on each side) with a tabernacle for lowering the mast.

                  Tom

                  --- In Bolger4Sale@yahoogroups.com, "podowitz" <s.podowitz@...> wrote:

                  > Lots of questions, I'm afraid. Please be patient with them:
                  >
                  > -How is the boat powered, absent the AS29's stern mounted outboard? --Is the sail plan as originally designed?
                  > -I've always liked the idea of extending the doghouse forward to make a more traditional trunk cabin. Is the headroom a full 6'?
                  > -Is she fiberglass or plywood encapsulated in cloth? Epoxy?
                  > -Do you know or can you estimate her displacement? Weight of boat and trailer?
                  > -Is interior layout changed from original?
                  > -Why are there concrete blocks in the cockpit?
                  > More to follow, probably.
                  >
                  > Grateful for your attention.
                  >
                  > SHP
                  >
                  > --- In Bolger4Sale@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tomseigler@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > If you're looking for a project boat to finish, check out "Island Time" over in the photo section.
                  > >
                  > > She is a AS29 that was built in 1994 by a professional yard in Florida out of fiberglass. The original owner had an offset 1200# swing keel put in instead of the leeboards and added lead internal ballast. He also made the bow pointed and designed an open transom which is really nice for getting provisions on board while at anchor. I sailed her, in her original configuration, up and down the East Coast (including a little offshore work in 10' seas) for over a year before starting modifications to make her more livable. A divorce caused me to stop working, and now I've decided that I'm ready to settle down here in Kansas.
                  > >
                  > > She comes with aluminum mast, maisail, boom, cushions, anchors, and a great '03 Loadmaster aluminum I-beam, three axle trailer with disc brakes. There are lots of the little parts sitting in my storeroom as well. Things like bilge pumps, foot pumps, interior lights, fans, etc. it all goes with her.
                  > >
                  > > I'd like to get $7000 for everything.
                  > >
                  > > Tom

                • Tom
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 21, 2010
                    I really need to sell this boat and trailer. All offers are encouraged.