Re: [Bolger4Sale] Re: Bolger Sharpie for sale

  • shellback1964@cs.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 5, 2009
      The Bolger Advanced Sharpie needs some cosmetic work. The rig and sails are
      complete. The site, carmansrivermaritime has a box, "boats for sale" and if
      you click on it you'll see the Bolger Sharpie listed there. The photo is
      labeled sister ship but it is the boat under sail. The price is $2100. but
      does not include a trailer. However, we can deliver the boat to any destination
      on Long Island.
      Steve

    • graeme19121984
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 5, 2009
        Can you say what scantlings she has please?

        Bolger says that AS19 is designed for 1/2" plywood, and strongly dismisses using heavier. However, he suggests that she'd go much better if built of 1/4" ply with a little extra ballast. Built as designed she'd be on her lines with only around 400lbs crew plus gear, but I recall Mike Stockstill went cruising for weeks at a time in her... and I recall that Bolger wrote she was primarily meant to carry six or more daysailing - hence the deck space! Built of 1/4" I wonder about her seaworthiness, and her resistance to impact damage? It's a quandry.

        Graeme

        --- In Bolger4Sale@yahoogroups.com, shellback1964@... wrote:

        > The Bolger Advanced Sharpie needs some cosmetic work. The rig and sails are
        > complete. The site, carmansrivermaritime has a box, "boats for sale" and if
        > you click on it you'll see the Bolger Sharpie listed there. The photo is
        > labeled sister ship but it is the boat under sail. The price is $2100. but
        > does not include a trailer. However, we can deliver the boat to any destination
        > on Long Island.
        > Steve

      • graeme19121984
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 5, 2009
          Re the EW archive link: Wow! I hadn't seen those pics of part finished construction before. Very handy indeed, thanks, as I've the plans acquired from Nels on the desk before me... (Those pics on the trailer are nice to view also - their reproduction in MAIB is rather blurred.)

          Re the pedigree: I'd bet that "sister ship" refers to a name change, or at least a colour change to blue/yellow (that pic in bolger2 IIRC). I think this will be the boat that "cabbie" bought from Mike. The round openings for cabin sides ventilation would confirm that.

          Graeme

          --- In Bolger4Sale@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Hallman <bruce@...> wrote:

          > On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 9:53 AM, blazingcontent<blazingcontent@...> wrote:
          > >

          > > I couldn't find a link for boats for sale on your site
          >
          > http://www.carmansrivermaritime.org/Auction/boatsale.htm
          >
          > ...is the link, unfortunately without any photos. I doubt there are
          > many AS19's ever made in the world, with the only one confirmed is the
          > Edgar Williams=>Mike Stockstill's build. (which I believe is the one
          > in the 'sister ship' photo). It also was built circa 1999, so I
          > wonder if this is the same hull for sale here.
          >
          > http://web.archive.org/web/19990422091355/http://www.widomaker.com/~ewwill/AS-19.htm
          >
          > I am curious of the pedigree of this one. Who was the builder?

        • Nels
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 5, 2009
            Anybody care to comment on the type of leeboard that is drawn on the
            AS19 plans?

            My reason for asking is based on Bolger's later updates of similar
            boards. For example the updated Martha Jane plans, the Jochems Family
            Schooner and the Fast Motorsailor and also Fast Brick, all of which
            seem to include a heavy backing plate between the hull and the boards.

            In fact Mr. Bolger seems to have returned to a centerboard arrangement
            in his later off-shore designs, such as the AS 29 and 39, Col. H. G.
            Hasler, Fiji, and some unfinished designs including the I60 and my very
            favorite, Wandervogel.

            Nels

            --- In Bolger4Sale@yahoogroups.com, "graeme19121984"
            <graeme19121984@...> wrote:

            > Re the EW archive link: Wow! I hadn't seen those pics of part finished
            construction before. Very handy indeed, thanks, as I've the plans
            acquired from Nels on the desk before me... (Those pics on the trailer
            are nice to view also - their reproduction in MAIB is rather blurred.)

            > Re the pedigree: I'd bet that "sister ship" refers to a name change,
            or at least a colour change to blue/yellow (that pic in bolger2 IIRC). I
            think this will be the boat that "cabbie" bought from Mike. The round
            openings for cabin sides ventilation would confirm that.

            > Graeme
            >
            > --- In Bolger4Sale@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Hallman bruce@ wrote:
            > >
            > > On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 9:53 AM, blazingcontentblazingcontent@ wrote:
            > > >

            > > > I couldn't find a link for boats for sale on your site
            > >
            > > http://www.carmansrivermaritime.org/Auction/boatsale.htm
            > >
            > > ...is the link, unfortunately without any photos. I doubt there are
            > > many AS19's ever made in the world, with the only one confirmed is
            the
            > > Edgar Williams=>Mike Stockstill's build. (which I believe is the one
            > > in the 'sister ship' photo). It also was built circa 1999, so I
            > > wonder if this is the same hull for sale here.

            http://web.archive.org/web/19990422091355/http://www.widomaker.com/~ewwi\
            ll/AS-19.htm

            > > I am curious of the pedigree of this one. Who was the builder?

          • david parker
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 6, 2009
              Where could I find the EW archive link?

              Thanks, David

              To: Bolger4Sale@yahoogroups.com
              From: graeme19121984@...
              Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 22:49:55 +0000
              Subject: [Bolger4Sale] Re: Bolger Sharpie for sale

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 6, 2009
                I don't know the EW link. That came from elsewhere. The details for the
                boat for sale is at carmansrivermaritime.org. Click boats for sale.
                Steve