tabernacle mast worm gear winch for sale

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 8, 2009
      This should work on a Jochems, AS29, AS39, Martha Jane, etc. Asking $50 obo (plus shipping).

      Dutton-Lainson Compay worm gear winch, new, still in original box. I bought it for $100 (including shipping) about a year ago for a project, and then sold the project. Below is what is written on the box.
      WG1500. 1500 LB / 681 KG. Drum diameter 1-1/2" / 38.1 mm. Gear ratio 30:1.

      Worm gear winches provide safety and convenience for many lifting and pulling jobs. The reel automatically stops turning whenever cranking is stopped. Loop drive allows the winch to be mounted out of reach and operated with an extension pole. Some assembly required – mounting of handle and cable (cable not included). Tools needed – adjustable wrenches or pliers. Made in USA.

      http://www.marinenutz.com/products/Dutton%252dLainson-1500-LB.-WORM-GEAR-WINCH.html
    • adkgoodboat
      Message 2 of 3 , May 5, 2009

        Mike, I am looking for a centerboard winch for the top of my board trunk on a 50's wooden sloop, 23 footer. I have a good bronze winch there but its handle is always in the way, and I think a compact worm-gear winch whose handle could be aligned with the trunk would be more comfortable to work around. Yours, however, might have just too high a ratio for this steel board, probably not more than 200 pounds, if that. In fact isn't that an awful lot of power for a counterweighted mast like any of these Bolger boat have? I just launched a Whalewatcher, with a pretty big mast, but with 40 lbs of lead in the foot of it, it is so easy to lift that a winch would be more trouble than it's worth, except that perhaps with one you wouldn't need to go way forward, and perhaps wouldn't need the locking lever at all? I can think of some other uses for such a winch, anyway, and am considering buying it---Mason

        Message 3 of 3 , May 5, 2009

          Mike, do you still have the winch. I'm thinking that it would enable me to pull the inboard engine on my 1964 Old Town lapstrake 20. I think I could make a sliding support resting on the gunwales, raise the motor just off the mounts and slide the whole thing forward out of the way. I'm going to install a whole "new" Mercruiser stern drive of a slightly newer vintage than the original, including all the interior and exterior transom-mounted parts. That worm-geared winch would lift it easily. So if you still have it, I'll take it. Mason Smith, 68 North Point Road, Long Lake, NY 12847. 518 624 6398.