WHALEWATCHER

  • adkgoodboat
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 24, 2007
      For Sale, finished or unfinished.
      This is Phil's 29 foot version of the Birdwatcher dicussed in "Boats
      with an Open Mind" in between the chapters on Birdwatcher and Martha
      Jane. It's a fascinating leeboard boat with a powerful balanced lug
      ketch rig, mainmast in a tabernacle, long berths for four with sitting
      headroom, and open standing room down the middle. But unlike
      Birdwatcher it has an open cockpit aft with very nice acces to the
      outboard auxiliary. It tows at 2000 lbs but with 900 lbs of water
      ballast is designed to sail at over 4000. This is the original boat and
      perhaps the only one, never finished owing to the death of Phil's
      client, George Anger. Has an excellent custom trailer, brand new sails,
      all spars and lines and many accessories. The fiberglassed but
      unfinished hull has deteriorated to the point where I think it would be
      best to start anew and build a new boat. The original never got its
      windows, leeboards, tabernacle or mizzen step and partner anyway. I'm
      game to build this boat this spring or summer, for myself or better for
      a customer. But if somebody wanted to take it on, I'd hand it over as
      is.
    • s_paskey
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 25, 2007
        That's really a shame about the deterioration of the hull. As I
        understand it, George Anger died many years ago, and the new owner left
        the boat in storage for years near Richmond, Virginia. If he wasn't
        gonna finish it, he should have sold it to someone who would before
        things got that bad. Letting it deteriorate that far was a criminal
        waste of the time and materials expended in building her.
      • Bruce Hallman
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 25, 2007
          On 1/25/07, s_paskey <s_paskey@...> wrote:

          > things got that bad. Letting it deteriorate that far was a criminal
          > waste of the time and materials expended in building her.

          20-25 years is sometimes a good life for plywood, especially in a warm
          humid place. The super valuable thing about Whalewatcher as described
          by Mason Smith are the sails, spars, rigging and trailer. It sounds
          like all the hard work, the hull fitout, was never done on that bare
          hull anyway. Redoing the bare hull now could be viewed as periodic
          maintenance, made easier by less interference from interior fitout
          items, to be expected every couple decades in a wooden boat.
        • Fritz
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 25, 2007
            I looked at that Whalewatcher not too long after Chuck found it and
            brought it to Richmond and it already had pretty big hull problems when
            he got it - as I recall the boat sat after George's death in a field,
            and was found with the hull filled with rainwater and muck inside like a
            giant bathtub, trailer wheels sunk down into the mud. Apparently it had
            been sitting that way in the field for quite a while. It was
            well-covered and ventilated when I saw it, which must have been about 1999.

            VERY interesting boat though, and I was fascinated by all the innovative
            ideas I saw there. I do hope someone actually gets a Whalewatcher
            sailing!!!!

            Fritz Funk
            Juneau, Alaska