micro trawler

  • daytonaltman
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 19, 2006
      We would like to buy a Micro Trawler, we're in South Carolina
    • Rick Bedard
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 19, 2006
        Sorry, but I don't think there are any Microtrawlers anywhere near South Carolina. At least I've never heard of one there. One of the early Microtrawlers was in North Carolina but it wrecked and broke up on the rocks more than ten years ago. I've heard of MT's in Florida, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Ohio, Michigan, Idaho, Washington and California plus maybe a few ohers... I don't think any of those are currently for sale.

        Mine is for sale but it's in California...

        Rick

        daytonaltman <daytonaltman@...> wrote:

        We would like to buy a Micro Trawler, we're in South Carolina

      • Jim Stein
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 20, 2006
          Try the Mirco trawler group on yahoo
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/microtrawler/
          Jock

        • longbaymarine@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 21, 2006
            Hi Rick

            Thanks for the e-mail, we have a set of plans for MT from Bolger and were
            thinking of getting into the boat rental business here along the coast of SC.
            What would be your asking price, and how does the boat handle?
            Could you send a few photos? Regards dayton

          • Rick Bedard
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 22, 2006
              Dayton,

              $3,500.

              But I'm 3,000 miles west of you.

              MT is very forgiving under way. Kids spin the wheel lock to lock and back again an she turns in her own length. They also run together from side to side in the cockpit trying to "rock the boat", not much happens.... She's always under control and needs little helm attention. In fact we troll fish and when "fish on" is called I just walk away from the helm if there is no traffic or shore ahead.

              Docking there is lots of windage, and if built to plans, because it's a bit of a chore to get on deck to handle lines in the original, it could be a challange to come alongside a dock. Reddy was built without the aft cabin. We have an open cockpit with a removable summerhouse of canvas & screen on pipe, or just the bimini, or nothing on fine days. Very nice set-up, not my original idea. Saw it on a south Florida Microtrawler named Katie. The protection of the pilothouse is wonderful and good for two, three if one stands. The open cockpit on ours is great for up to six more, unless they are little kids...I've had eleven....

              Keep in mind I only have a 9.9 4-stroke. Contact George of "Grebe" fame for info on bigger motors. He never mentioned any handling problems and I've seen many photos of Grebe up on plane running strong. He did cut off the original aft house after a year or so, went open cockpit until the Idaho weather got to him and then he built an 8x8 foot x 6' high aft house.. Fittied out like an RV. He was real happy with that. Search for Grebe, MT and Microtrawler Makeover or something like that on Chuck's Duckworks site.

              Photos and articles of our Reddy there as well. Search under author using my last name.

              Many photos of Reddy on the Bolger Yahoo groups. The original main group, and several of the early photo storage sites.. Look for anything with MT, Microtrawler, Reddy or any with "sctree" as the username (that's south county tree, not South Carolina tree as many have mistaken, my apologies to you SC folks...).

              One you might want to find is the photos called Stretch MT or something similar... I digitally cut Reddy in half and spliced in an 8' saloon section... That would make an excellent rental cruiser, very easy to do if done at the original construction stage. If no one buys Reddy this summer it may be my winter project.

              Good luck,
              Rick

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 23, 2006
                Rick
                That's a great price, if not for the distance we would write you a check
                today. We've seen Reddy before and forgive me for printing all your photos last
                year to add to our files as an excellent example of the wheelhouse model. We
                understand MT has good low speed manners so the 9.9 is perfect for the
                rental business.
                George has a great site and its interesting that he's done the different
                modifications as a first time builder.We have beach house rental property on
                the third row in Cherry Grove Beach SC, and hope to add MT to what we call a
                B,B &B...bed boat and breakfast across the street, now we have a Cape Dory
                Typhoon and a 31Ft. Norwalk Islands Sharpie that guests can use as part of the
                beach house rental. We think people would prefer the MT.
                Thanks so much for your e-mail, if you head east, drop us a line!
                Regards Dayton