Re: [Bolger4Sale] Re: Oldshoe for sale

  • Sam Glasscock
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 21, 2003
      Upon mature reflection (there is a first!) I just
      can't handle the oldshoe. I am posting this on
      Bolger4-sale so the group will not get the impression
      that she is spoken for. For what you are asking she
      is an incredible opportunity for anyone who wants an
      oldshoe--I have just determined that I have so many
      boat-related projects that she would sit in my yard
      the same as she is sitting in yours. Somebody is
      going to get a great little boat, though. Sam

      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 21, 2003
        Bruce, the oldshoe belongs to John Harris, on Kent
        Island on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. I have
        appended the original post below:

        http://shopping.yahoo.com
      • Bruce C. Anderson
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 21, 2003
          Howdy Sam

          Thanks, though it looks a little out or range for me. :)

          See Ya

          Have Fun

          Bruce

          http://myweb.cableone.net/bcanderson/
        • Nels
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 21, 2003
            --- In Bolger4Sale@yahoogroups.com, Ned Asplundh <nasplundh@y...>
            wrote:
            > Ahoy Sam, John, and all,
            >(Sigh) T'was a great boat and still kicking myself for having to
            sell her about 4-5 years ago. With some of the recent discussion on
            Bolger3 about Navigator mods, I've often wondered if OS could be
            upgraded in a similar manner. Whatcha think?

            Funny thing! I was just looking at BWAOM last night - Ch.
            9 "Supermouse" and thought that the type of topper shown on it would
            work for OS. Build it in two pieces with the whole boat open down the
            centerline, from stem to stern, except for maybe an enclusre for a
            porta potti. Have it so that it would be removeable - bolting on just
            like a truck topper.

            I think on a boat that small the same sail as shown for Supermouse
            would work without going to the trouble and expense of a Chinese lug
            set-up.

            Could also do double duty as a camper trailer and even as utility
            trailer in the off season - haul a lot of empties:-)

            Cheers, Nels
          • James Meloy
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 24, 2003
              Pardon me Nels - where did you see such a top and how could I get to see it??  I've been dreaming on such.

              Thanks, Jim
              >(Sigh) T'was a great boat and still kicking myself for having to
              sell her about 4-5 years ago. With some of the recent discussion on
              Bolger3 about Navigator mods, I've often wondered if OS could be
              upgraded in a similar manner. Whatcha think?

              Funny thing! I was just looking at BWAOM last night - Ch.
              9 "Supermouse" and thought that the type of topper shown on it would
              work for OS. Build it in two pieces with the whole boat open down the
              centerline, from stem to stern, except for maybe an enclusre for a
              porta potti. Have it so that it would be removeable - bolting on just
              like a truck topper.

              I think on a boat that small the same sail as shown for Supermouse
              would work without going to the trouble and expense of a Chinese lug
              set-up.

              Could also do double duty as a camper trailer and even as utility
              trailer in the off season -  haul a lot of empties:-)

              Cheers, Nels

              To unsubscribe, email:

            • Nels
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 24, 2003
                Hi Jim,

                If you go to "Files" you will see a folder that contains two pages
                from the write-up in "Boats With An Open Mind" describing Supermouse.

                It is somewhat the same size as OS but is meant to be built in
                lapstrake fashion and has no ballest keel.

                In the second file it shows a drawing of the cross section and the
                dotted lines on the inside passageway seem to indicate that the house
                is attached by frame extensions to the bulkheads at 2' and 9' which
                are the main watertight bulkheads.

                So I can imagine that the house could be bolted on at these frame
                extensions with perhap a couple more extended frames at about the
                midpoint on each side of the house.

                The whole cabin can be closed in with a fabric cover that has a few
                stiffeners sewn into pockets and perhaps a board at each end so that
                the entrance flaps can be rolled up or battened closed. This would be
                heavy enough to allow trailering with all your camping gear stored
                safely in the boat.

                This model could likely be built like a stripper canoe - including
                the house. This would make for a very light boat to trailer.

                I have no idea what the plans would cost. One would have to send a
                fax to PCB & Friends to find out. My guess would be in the $100
                range. However if one has Oldshoe plans - the house coud be added,
                just using this as a guide.

                Cheers, Nels

                --- In Bolger4Sale@yahoogroups.com, "James Meloy" <dreambignow@h...>