Oldshoe trailer

  • Ned Asplundh
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 20, 2003
      Ahoy Sam, John, and all,

      That's the route LoadRite took when I ordered a trailer from them (and gave them a copy of Bolger's plan dwg. to work from). However, I found that a single bolt on the forward pair of extended supports wouldn't hold the weight of the boat AND yours truly (225#) while aboard.

      I happened to have a piece of pressure treated 2x10 or 12 laying about, long enough to span the width of the trailer frame. After notching it to allow the OS keel to fit through, I bolted it on edge to the forward supports (2 bolts each side) which "rigidified" things quite nicely.

      (Sigh) T'was a great boat and still kicking myself for having to sell her about 4-5 years ago. With some of the recent discussion on Bolger3 about Navigator mods, I've often wondered if OS could be upgraded in a similar manner. Whatcha think?

      clcboats <kayaks@...> wrote:

      <snip>

      The bunks of an ordinary light-powerboat trailer, at their greatest
      extension, will neatly support the bottom about amidships, where the
      projection of the keel is somewhat less, around 8-9 inches.

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • Sam Glasscock
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 21, 2003
        Thanks for the info, Ned. How did you find the
        oldshoe to sail?

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 21, 2003
          Thanks for the info, Ned. How did you find the
          oldshoe to sail?
          --- Ned Asplundh <nasplundh@...> wrote:
          > Ahoy Sam, John, and all,
          >
          > That's the route LoadRite took when I ordered a
          > trailer from them (and gave them a copy of Bolger's
          > plan dwg. to work from). However, I found that a
          > single bolt on the forward pair of extended supports
          > wouldn't hold the weight of the boat AND yours truly
          > (225#) while aboard.
          >
          > I happened to have a piece of pressure treated 2x10
          > or 12 laying about, long enough to span the width of
          > the trailer frame. After notching it to allow the OS
          > keel to fit through, I bolted it on edge to the
          > forward supports (2 bolts each side) which
          > "rigidified" things quite nicely.
          >
          > (Sigh) T'was a great boat and still kicking myself
          > for having to sell her about 4-5 years ago. With
          > some of the recent discussion on Bolger3 about
          > Navigator mods, I've often wondered if OS could be
          > upgraded in a similar manner. Whatcha think?
          >
          > clcboats <kayaks@...> wrote:
          >
          > <snip>
          >

          > The bunks of an ordinary light-powerboat trailer, at
          > their greatest
          > extension, will neatly support the bottom about
          > amidships, where the
          > projection of the keel is somewhat less, around 8-9
          > inches.

          http://shopping.yahoo.com
        • clcboats
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 21, 2003
            > Thanks for the info, Ned. How did you find the
            > oldshoe to sail?

            This was a description I wrote for one of the Bolger groups, years
            ago:

            I built an Oldshoe when I was a freshman at Washington College in
            Maryland. I was on the sailing team, and I wanted a fun, dry
            daysailer that I could sail after the racing season ended in late
            October. I also wanted a camp-cruiser for expeditions on the
            Chesapeake.

            I built the boat out of marine fir, bonded with epoxy and sheathed
            in fiberglass set in polyester resin. Going on ten years later, the
            boat has held up well and looks great. Wish I could have afforded to
            encapsulate the entire boat in epoxy.

            My sailing experience includes everything from planing dinghies and
            traditional small craft to large cruisers, but my Oldshoe remains
            one of the most interesting and fun little boats to sail I've ever
            known. In spite of its weight and bulk, it floats like a duck and
            will get right up to hull speed as long as the wind is over 7-8
            knots. Below 8 knots, performance can be stodgy and careful trim and
            helming is required to maintain good speeds. VMG to windward is
            merely adequate, and a steep chop or motor boat waves will stop the
            Oldshoe on a beat, especially in light airs but also in winds over
            15-18 knots. On a reach in a good breeze this boat will bring a
            smile to even the most hardened anti-Bolger types. (I took great
            pleasure in luring doubters out for a sail in my Oldshoe. Never
            failed to make a convert of them.)

            As a camp-cruiser, I think it is without peer among boats in its
            class. I'd certainly rather cruise in my Oldshoe than in a Wayfarer
            or some such. The cockpit is more comfortable than many 30-footers
            of my aquaintance, and the stowage is voluminous.

            I have only a few retrospective comments:
            1. I found the lead keel a pain to fabricate, although I note that
            at the time I had zero foundry experience. Even now I'd be inclined
            to let someone with proper foundry equipment and experience make up
            the ballast keel. I used discarded wheel weights from a service
            station.

            2. Spend money on good sails. I bought a fine suit of tanbark sails
            by Ulmer-Kolius when I built mine, and thanked myself every time I
            used the boat. It's a good little sailer but doesn't have much
            performance to spare. Well-cut sails are essential, and don't be
            tempted to economize here.

            3. Take care to seal up the footwell with lots and lots of epoxy. My
            Oldshoe has lived its entire life outdoors, and the cockpit is
            inevitably full of rain water. My joinery in the cockpit was
            somewhat indifferent and as a result water would leak into the
            compartments if rainwater collected. Bathe the footwell in epoxy,
            with oversized fillets between footwell and bottom panels.

          • Sam Glasscock
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 21, 2003
              Upon mature reflection (there is a first!) I just
              can't handle the oldshoe. I am posting this on
              Bolger4-sale so the group will not get the impression
              that she is spoken for. For what you are asking she
              is an incredible opportunity for anyone who wants an
              oldshoe--I have just determined that I have so many
              boat-related projects that she would sit in my yard
              the same as she is sitting in yours. Somebody is
              going to get a great little boat, though. Sam

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 21, 2003
                Bruce, the oldshoe belongs to John Harris, on Kent
                Island on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. I have
                appended the original post below:

                http://shopping.yahoo.com
              • Bruce C. Anderson
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 21, 2003
                  Howdy Sam

                  Thanks, though it looks a little out or range for me. :)

                  See Ya

                  Have Fun

                  Bruce

                  http://myweb.cableone.net/bcanderson/
                • Nels
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 21, 2003
                    --- In Bolger4Sale@yahoogroups.com, Ned Asplundh <nasplundh@y...>
                    wrote:
                    > Ahoy Sam, John, and all,
                    >(Sigh) T'was a great boat and still kicking myself for having to
                    sell her about 4-5 years ago. With some of the recent discussion on
                    Bolger3 about Navigator mods, I've often wondered if OS could be
                    upgraded in a similar manner. Whatcha think?

                    Funny thing! I was just looking at BWAOM last night - Ch.
                    9 "Supermouse" and thought that the type of topper shown on it would
                    work for OS. Build it in two pieces with the whole boat open down the
                    centerline, from stem to stern, except for maybe an enclusre for a
                    porta potti. Have it so that it would be removeable - bolting on just
                    like a truck topper.

                    I think on a boat that small the same sail as shown for Supermouse
                    would work without going to the trouble and expense of a Chinese lug
                    set-up.

                    Could also do double duty as a camper trailer and even as utility
                    trailer in the off season - haul a lot of empties:-)

                    Cheers, Nels
                  • James Meloy
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 24, 2003
                      Pardon me Nels - where did you see such a top and how could I get to see it??  I've been dreaming on such.

                      Thanks, Jim
                      >(Sigh) T'was a great boat and still kicking myself for having to
                      sell her about 4-5 years ago. With some of the recent discussion on
                      Bolger3 about Navigator mods, I've often wondered if OS could be
                      upgraded in a similar manner. Whatcha think?

                      Funny thing! I was just looking at BWAOM last night - Ch.
                      9 "Supermouse" and thought that the type of topper shown on it would
                      work for OS. Build it in two pieces with the whole boat open down the
                      centerline, from stem to stern, except for maybe an enclusre for a
                      porta potti. Have it so that it would be removeable - bolting on just
                      like a truck topper.

                      I think on a boat that small the same sail as shown for Supermouse
                      would work without going to the trouble and expense of a Chinese lug
                      set-up.

                      Could also do double duty as a camper trailer and even as utility
                      trailer in the off season -  haul a lot of empties:-)

                      Cheers, Nels

                      To unsubscribe, email:

                    • Nels
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 24, 2003
                        Hi Jim,

                        If you go to "Files" you will see a folder that contains two pages
                        from the write-up in "Boats With An Open Mind" describing Supermouse.

                        It is somewhat the same size as OS but is meant to be built in
                        lapstrake fashion and has no ballest keel.

                        In the second file it shows a drawing of the cross section and the
                        dotted lines on the inside passageway seem to indicate that the house
                        is attached by frame extensions to the bulkheads at 2' and 9' which
                        are the main watertight bulkheads.

                        So I can imagine that the house could be bolted on at these frame
                        extensions with perhap a couple more extended frames at about the
                        midpoint on each side of the house.

                        The whole cabin can be closed in with a fabric cover that has a few
                        stiffeners sewn into pockets and perhaps a board at each end so that
                        the entrance flaps can be rolled up or battened closed. This would be
                        heavy enough to allow trailering with all your camping gear stored
                        safely in the boat.

                        This model could likely be built like a stripper canoe - including
                        the house. This would make for a very light boat to trailer.

                        I have no idea what the plans would cost. One would have to send a
                        fax to PCB & Friends to find out. My guess would be in the $100
                        range. However if one has Oldshoe plans - the house coud be added,
                        just using this as a guide.

                        Cheers, Nels

                        --- In Bolger4Sale@yahoogroups.com, "James Meloy" <dreambignow@h...>