Re: [Bolger4Sale] Re: Oldshoe For Sale

  • Sam Glasscock
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 20, 2003
      Thanks. Could you give me your phone number and a time
      you will be available? My e-mail is
      glasscocklanding@.... Thanks. Sam
      --- clcboats <kayaks@...> wrote:

      > I don't have the exact measurement at hand, but it's
      > about 12 inches.
      >
      > The bunks of an ordinary light-powerboat trailer, at
      > their greatest
      > extension, will neatly support the bottom about
      > amidships, where the
      > projection of the keel is somewhat less, around 8-9
      > inches.
      >
      > Hope that helps.

      http://shopping.yahoo.com
    • Ned Asplundh
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 20, 2003
        Ahoy Sam, John, and all,

        That's the route LoadRite took when I ordered a trailer from them (and gave them a copy of Bolger's plan dwg. to work from). However, I found that a single bolt on the forward pair of extended supports wouldn't hold the weight of the boat AND yours truly (225#) while aboard.

        I happened to have a piece of pressure treated 2x10 or 12 laying about, long enough to span the width of the trailer frame. After notching it to allow the OS keel to fit through, I bolted it on edge to the forward supports (2 bolts each side) which "rigidified" things quite nicely.

        (Sigh) T'was a great boat and still kicking myself for having to sell her about 4-5 years ago. With some of the recent discussion on Bolger3 about Navigator mods, I've often wondered if OS could be upgraded in a similar manner. Whatcha think?

        clcboats <kayaks@...> wrote:

        <snip>

        The bunks of an ordinary light-powerboat trailer, at their greatest
        extension, will neatly support the bottom about amidships, where the
        projection of the keel is somewhat less, around 8-9 inches.

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • Sam Glasscock
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 21, 2003
          Thanks for the info, Ned. How did you find the
          oldshoe to sail?

          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 21, 2003
            Thanks for the info, Ned. How did you find the
            oldshoe to sail?
            --- Ned Asplundh <nasplundh@...> wrote:
            > Ahoy Sam, John, and all,
            >
            > That's the route LoadRite took when I ordered a
            > trailer from them (and gave them a copy of Bolger's
            > plan dwg. to work from). However, I found that a
            > single bolt on the forward pair of extended supports
            > wouldn't hold the weight of the boat AND yours truly
            > (225#) while aboard.
            >
            > I happened to have a piece of pressure treated 2x10
            > or 12 laying about, long enough to span the width of
            > the trailer frame. After notching it to allow the OS
            > keel to fit through, I bolted it on edge to the
            > forward supports (2 bolts each side) which
            > "rigidified" things quite nicely.
            >
            > (Sigh) T'was a great boat and still kicking myself
            > for having to sell her about 4-5 years ago. With
            > some of the recent discussion on Bolger3 about
            > Navigator mods, I've often wondered if OS could be
            > upgraded in a similar manner. Whatcha think?
            >
            > clcboats <kayaks@...> wrote:
            >
            > <snip>
            >

            > The bunks of an ordinary light-powerboat trailer, at
            > their greatest
            > extension, will neatly support the bottom about
            > amidships, where the
            > projection of the keel is somewhat less, around 8-9
            > inches.

            http://shopping.yahoo.com
          • clcboats
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 21, 2003
              > Thanks for the info, Ned. How did you find the
              > oldshoe to sail?

              This was a description I wrote for one of the Bolger groups, years
              ago:

              I built an Oldshoe when I was a freshman at Washington College in
              Maryland. I was on the sailing team, and I wanted a fun, dry
              daysailer that I could sail after the racing season ended in late
              October. I also wanted a camp-cruiser for expeditions on the
              Chesapeake.

              I built the boat out of marine fir, bonded with epoxy and sheathed
              in fiberglass set in polyester resin. Going on ten years later, the
              boat has held up well and looks great. Wish I could have afforded to
              encapsulate the entire boat in epoxy.

              My sailing experience includes everything from planing dinghies and
              traditional small craft to large cruisers, but my Oldshoe remains
              one of the most interesting and fun little boats to sail I've ever
              known. In spite of its weight and bulk, it floats like a duck and
              will get right up to hull speed as long as the wind is over 7-8
              knots. Below 8 knots, performance can be stodgy and careful trim and
              helming is required to maintain good speeds. VMG to windward is
              merely adequate, and a steep chop or motor boat waves will stop the
              Oldshoe on a beat, especially in light airs but also in winds over
              15-18 knots. On a reach in a good breeze this boat will bring a
              smile to even the most hardened anti-Bolger types. (I took great
              pleasure in luring doubters out for a sail in my Oldshoe. Never
              failed to make a convert of them.)

              As a camp-cruiser, I think it is without peer among boats in its
              class. I'd certainly rather cruise in my Oldshoe than in a Wayfarer
              or some such. The cockpit is more comfortable than many 30-footers
              of my aquaintance, and the stowage is voluminous.

              I have only a few retrospective comments:
              1. I found the lead keel a pain to fabricate, although I note that
              at the time I had zero foundry experience. Even now I'd be inclined
              to let someone with proper foundry equipment and experience make up
              the ballast keel. I used discarded wheel weights from a service
              station.

              2. Spend money on good sails. I bought a fine suit of tanbark sails
              by Ulmer-Kolius when I built mine, and thanked myself every time I
              used the boat. It's a good little sailer but doesn't have much
              performance to spare. Well-cut sails are essential, and don't be
              tempted to economize here.

              3. Take care to seal up the footwell with lots and lots of epoxy. My
              Oldshoe has lived its entire life outdoors, and the cockpit is
              inevitably full of rain water. My joinery in the cockpit was
              somewhat indifferent and as a result water would leak into the
              compartments if rainwater collected. Bathe the footwell in epoxy,
              with oversized fillets between footwell and bottom panels.

            • Sam Glasscock
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 21, 2003
                Upon mature reflection (there is a first!) I just
                can't handle the oldshoe. I am posting this on
                Bolger4-sale so the group will not get the impression
                that she is spoken for. For what you are asking she
                is an incredible opportunity for anyone who wants an
                oldshoe--I have just determined that I have so many
                boat-related projects that she would sit in my yard
                the same as she is sitting in yours. Somebody is
                going to get a great little boat, though. Sam

                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 21, 2003
                  Bruce, the oldshoe belongs to John Harris, on Kent
                  Island on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. I have
                  appended the original post below:

                  http://shopping.yahoo.com
                • Bruce C. Anderson
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 21, 2003
                    Howdy Sam

                    Thanks, though it looks a little out or range for me. :)

                    See Ya

                    Have Fun

                    Bruce

                    http://myweb.cableone.net/bcanderson/
                  • Nels
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 21, 2003
                      --- In Bolger4Sale@yahoogroups.com, Ned Asplundh <nasplundh@y...>
                      wrote:
                      > Ahoy Sam, John, and all,
                      >(Sigh) T'was a great boat and still kicking myself for having to
                      sell her about 4-5 years ago. With some of the recent discussion on
                      Bolger3 about Navigator mods, I've often wondered if OS could be
                      upgraded in a similar manner. Whatcha think?

                      Funny thing! I was just looking at BWAOM last night - Ch.
                      9 "Supermouse" and thought that the type of topper shown on it would
                      work for OS. Build it in two pieces with the whole boat open down the
                      centerline, from stem to stern, except for maybe an enclusre for a
                      porta potti. Have it so that it would be removeable - bolting on just
                      like a truck topper.

                      I think on a boat that small the same sail as shown for Supermouse
                      would work without going to the trouble and expense of a Chinese lug
                      set-up.

                      Could also do double duty as a camper trailer and even as utility
                      trailer in the off season - haul a lot of empties:-)

                      Cheers, Nels
                    • James Meloy
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 24, 2003
                        Pardon me Nels - where did you see such a top and how could I get to see it??  I've been dreaming on such.

                        Thanks, Jim
                        >(Sigh) T'was a great boat and still kicking myself for having to
                        sell her about 4-5 years ago. With some of the recent discussion on
                        Bolger3 about Navigator mods, I've often wondered if OS could be
                        upgraded in a similar manner. Whatcha think?

                        Funny thing! I was just looking at BWAOM last night - Ch.
                        9 "Supermouse" and thought that the type of topper shown on it would
                        work for OS. Build it in two pieces with the whole boat open down the
                        centerline, from stem to stern, except for maybe an enclusre for a
                        porta potti. Have it so that it would be removeable - bolting on just
                        like a truck topper.

                        I think on a boat that small the same sail as shown for Supermouse
                        would work without going to the trouble and expense of a Chinese lug
                        set-up.

                        Could also do double duty as a camper trailer and even as utility
                        trailer in the off season -  haul a lot of empties:-)

                        Cheers, Nels

                        To unsubscribe, email:

                      • Nels
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 24, 2003
                          Hi Jim,

                          If you go to "Files" you will see a folder that contains two pages
                          from the write-up in "Boats With An Open Mind" describing Supermouse.

                          It is somewhat the same size as OS but is meant to be built in
                          lapstrake fashion and has no ballest keel.

                          In the second file it shows a drawing of the cross section and the
                          dotted lines on the inside passageway seem to indicate that the house
                          is attached by frame extensions to the bulkheads at 2' and 9' which
                          are the main watertight bulkheads.

                          So I can imagine that the house could be bolted on at these frame
                          extensions with perhap a couple more extended frames at about the
                          midpoint on each side of the house.

                          The whole cabin can be closed in with a fabric cover that has a few
                          stiffeners sewn into pockets and perhaps a board at each end so that
                          the entrance flaps can be rolled up or battened closed. This would be
                          heavy enough to allow trailering with all your camping gear stored
                          safely in the boat.

                          This model could likely be built like a stripper canoe - including
                          the house. This would make for a very light boat to trailer.

                          I have no idea what the plans would cost. One would have to send a
                          fax to PCB & Friends to find out. My guess would be in the $100
                          range. However if one has Oldshoe plans - the house coud be added,
                          just using this as a guide.

                          Cheers, Nels

                          --- In Bolger4Sale@yahoogroups.com, "James Meloy" <dreambignow@h...>