Re: 'Micro for sale'

  • Rod Maddox
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 11, 2003
      Couldn't be said better, Nels. I have a buyer who will be traveling
      quite a distance to access the pleasure of owning a Micro. May the
      spirit of Elrowe live on.

      --- In Bolger4Sale@yahoogroups.com, "Nels" <arvent@h...> wrote:
      > --- In Bolger4Sale@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Spelling"
      <richard@c...>
      > wrote:
      > > So, I have a theory. Plywood box boats have a negative value.
      > Perhaps the ad should say "trailer and motor, $1300. Must take boat
      > too".
      > >
      > > <grin>
      >
      > This may be true in part but certainly does not take into account
      the
      > value of the pleasure one has had, both as the builder and the user
      > of said boat. I am certain that Elrowe took a tremendous amount of
      > satisfaction from having participated in such a wonderful design,
      as
      > well as Oldshoe, and a few others. Then the second owner as well as
      > the next owner will also have alot of pleasure if they use it as
      > intended.
      >
      > If one is interested in return on investment, certainly good motors
      > would be something to look at. Have you noticed the price of a new
      > Yamaha T9.9??!! Same goes for good heavy duty trailers.
      >
      > Cheers, Nels
    • Nels
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 15, 2003
        --- In Bolger4Sale@yahoogroups.com, "Rod Maddox" <talfarm@i...> wrote:
        > Couldn't be said better, Nels. I have a buyer who will be
        traveling
        > quite a distance to access the pleasure of owning a Micro. May the
        > spirit of Elrowe live on.

        Hi Rod,

        Yes, I traveled quite a distance myself (See posting on Bolger3) Yet
        this is not meant to take anything away from Richard's comments.

        It would appear that one modifies a sheet of plywood by applying
        glass and epoxy to it so it will last forever almost - and the value
        of the plywood drops to almost zero:-)

        Obviously a part of this is the unknown factor of how sound a
        homebuilt hull may be after several years. Like buying a house, thee
        foundation is the most important part as well as the roof.

        I purchased Lestat after I figured out the cost of materials to build
        a Micro. I plan to enjoy it while building a bigger boat. But will
        keep my eyes open since I notice what a pretty darned nice AS29 sold
        for approximately:-)

        The cost of motors, sails and a good trailer add up to a major
        investment when building one's own boat. Not to mention the plywood,
        cloth, expoxy, spars, ballest, hardware and paint. Together with
        several hundred hours of darned hard work.

        I have nothing but admiration for the fellows who build their own and
        plan to join in, while enjoying a prime example of craftmanship to
        inspire me each time I go out on the water:-)

        I have a few photos of Elrow somewhere - when he ws building the
        first Micro. I will have to try to find them and post them here.

        Cheers, Nels
        (Almost inspired enough to crawl in under Lestat's winter cover for a
        last bit of daydreaming before winter sets in.)