Re: 'Micro for sale'

  • Nels
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 7, 2003
      --- In Bolger4Sale@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Spelling" <richard@c...>
      wrote:
      > So, I have a theory. Plywood box boats have a negative value.
      Perhaps the ad should say "trailer and motor, $1300. Must take boat
      too".

      > <grin>

      This may be true in part but certainly does not take into account the
      value of the pleasure one has had, both as the builder and the user
      of said boat. I am certain that Elrowe took a tremendous amount of
      satisfaction from having participated in such a wonderful design, as
      well as Oldshoe, and a few others. Then the second owner as well as
      the next owner will also have alot of pleasure if they use it as
      intended.

      If one is interested in return on investment, certainly good motors
      would be something to look at. Have you noticed the price of a new
      Yamaha T9.9??!! Same goes for good heavy duty trailers.

      Cheers, Nels
    • Rod Maddox
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 11, 2003
        Couldn't be said better, Nels. I have a buyer who will be traveling
        quite a distance to access the pleasure of owning a Micro. May the
        spirit of Elrowe live on.

        --- In Bolger4Sale@yahoogroups.com, "Nels" <arvent@h...> wrote:
        > --- In Bolger4Sale@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Spelling"
        <richard@c...>
        > wrote:
        > > So, I have a theory. Plywood box boats have a negative value.
        > Perhaps the ad should say "trailer and motor, $1300. Must take boat
        > too".
        > >
        > > <grin>
        >
        > This may be true in part but certainly does not take into account
        the
        > value of the pleasure one has had, both as the builder and the user
        > of said boat. I am certain that Elrowe took a tremendous amount of
        > satisfaction from having participated in such a wonderful design,
        as
        > well as Oldshoe, and a few others. Then the second owner as well as
        > the next owner will also have alot of pleasure if they use it as
        > intended.
        >
        > If one is interested in return on investment, certainly good motors
        > would be something to look at. Have you noticed the price of a new
        > Yamaha T9.9??!! Same goes for good heavy duty trailers.
        >
        > Cheers, Nels
      • Nels
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 15, 2003
          --- In Bolger4Sale@yahoogroups.com, "Rod Maddox" <talfarm@i...> wrote:
          > Couldn't be said better, Nels. I have a buyer who will be
          traveling
          > quite a distance to access the pleasure of owning a Micro. May the
          > spirit of Elrowe live on.

          Hi Rod,

          Yes, I traveled quite a distance myself (See posting on Bolger3) Yet
          this is not meant to take anything away from Richard's comments.

          It would appear that one modifies a sheet of plywood by applying
          glass and epoxy to it so it will last forever almost - and the value
          of the plywood drops to almost zero:-)

          Obviously a part of this is the unknown factor of how sound a
          homebuilt hull may be after several years. Like buying a house, thee
          foundation is the most important part as well as the roof.

          I purchased Lestat after I figured out the cost of materials to build
          a Micro. I plan to enjoy it while building a bigger boat. But will
          keep my eyes open since I notice what a pretty darned nice AS29 sold
          for approximately:-)

          The cost of motors, sails and a good trailer add up to a major
          investment when building one's own boat. Not to mention the plywood,
          cloth, expoxy, spars, ballest, hardware and paint. Together with
          several hundred hours of darned hard work.

          I have nothing but admiration for the fellows who build their own and
          plan to join in, while enjoying a prime example of craftmanship to
          inspire me each time I go out on the water:-)

          I have a few photos of Elrow somewhere - when he ws building the
          first Micro. I will have to try to find them and post them here.

          Cheers, Nels
          (Almost inspired enough to crawl in under Lestat's winter cover for a
          last bit of daydreaming before winter sets in.)