4Sale: Story shipyard 1980 Custom Bolger 40' Schooner $17000US

  • c.ruzer
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 7, 2014

      Photos look good. The following pasted from eBay ad:

      eBay item number:

      201063550712

      Starting bid:
      US $17,000.00

      1980 Custom Bolger design Story shipyard 1980 Custom Bolger design Story shipyard

      Custom 40' Schooner

      Year:

      1980

      Hull Material:

      Wood

      Make:

      Custom Bolger design Story shipyard

      Keel:

      full

      Type:

      Schooner

      Use:

      Salt Water

      Length (feet):

      40

      Engine Make:

      Yanmar 27hp

      Beam (feet):

      10

      Primary Fuel Type:

      Diesel

      A delightful little schooner, she is a special blending of the innovative designs of Phil Bolger, plus the rock-solid schooner building experience of the A.D. Story Shipyard of Essex, MA

      Year: 1980

      LOA: 39' 5"' LWL: 37' Beam: 10'

      Displacement: 14 Tons Draft: 3' 9"

      Engine: Yanmar 27HP Model: 3GM

      Fuel: 30 Gal Water: 30 Gal Holding: Yes

      Accommodations

      From Forward: Large V-berth for two with its own hatch to the foredeck for ventilation and headroom. Main salon has two settee berths, plus one pipe berth on the starboard side. Nav station is positioned fwd of the portside settee. Aft of the salon area is a separate galley area immediately below the companionway with full standing headroom, with the enclosed head on the starboard side.

      Galley

      Origo two-burner alcohol stove, plus Shipmate solid fuel stove. Single SS sink with foot pump for freshwater, icebox and plenty of storage for dishes, dry-goods, etc.

      Electronics

      Uniden VHF,GPS

      2 x 12 Volt battery ship system with battery isolator

      Deck

      Bronze-fastened mahogany planks on double-sawn oak frames, floors and deadwood; marine ply deck with fibergass over (from new), mahogany cockpit coamings, cabin sole in planked fir. Cockpit with bridge deck, lazarette and cockpit lockers. Cockpit sole lifts up for full engine access. Cabin porlights of lexan, using the traditional angled clamping design for full ventilation even in rain. Traditional butterfly hatch over the salon area, plus separate hatch for forepeak. Seawolf manual windlass w/chain/rope gypsy. Anchors: 22lb Bruce, 22 Lb Danforth, 200' chain, 200' rope rodes. 2 electric bilge pumps, one whale gusher manual pump, lazy jacks (both masts), dodger (2000), sail covers.

      SAILS: fore, main and drifter 2004 by Roy Dowes, Jib (1998). Original main, fore, and storm jib by Yardarm. Boom gallows for main boom. New Genoa 2013

      SPARS: Masts of hollow/glued construction, boom and gaffbooms also hollow/glued spruce.

      RIG: 'Bald-headed' Gaff-rigged fore and main, single jib with provision for stormsail/staysail on removable babystay.

    • c.ruzer
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 7, 2014
      • John Kohnen
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 8, 2014
          What the heck's a "gaffboom?" <g>

          --
          John (jkohnen@...)
          Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow. (Mark
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 8, 2014
            The boom of a gaff rigged sail?

            Scot McPherson, PMP CISSP MCSA
            Shoreline, CT
            Sent from my iPhone

            On Apr 8, 2014, at 6:56 PM, "John Kohnen" <jhkohnen@...> wrote:

            > What the heck's a "gaffboom?" <g>
            >
            > On Mon, 07 Apr 2014 23:24:50 -0700, c.ruzer wrote:
            >
            >> EBAY link
            >> http://www.ebay.com/itm/201063550712?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D201063550712%26_rdc%3D1:
            >
            > --
            > John (jkohnen@...)
            > Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow. (Mark
            > Twain)

          • Connor, Patrick
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 8, 2014
              The gaff.

              Sent from my iPhone

              On Apr 8, 2014, at 7:15 PM, "Scot McPherson" <scot.mcpherson@...> wrote:

              The boom of a gaff rigged sail?

              Scot McPherson, PMP CISSP MCSA
              Shoreline, CT
              Sent from my iPhone

              On Apr 8, 2014, at 6:56 PM, "John Kohnen" <jhkohnen@...> wrote:

              > What the heck's a "gaffboom?" <g>
              >
              > On Mon, 07 Apr 2014 23:24:50 -0700, c.ruzer wrote:
              >
              >> EBAY link
              >> http://www.ebay.com/itm/201063550712?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D201063550712%26_rdc%3D1:
              >
              > --
              > John (jkohnen@...)
              > Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow. (Mark
              > Twain)

            • Scot McPherson
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 8, 2014
                Well but that would be the gaff, not the boom...haha

                On Apr 8, 2014, at 7:51 PM, "Connor, Patrick" <pconnor@...> wrote:

                The gaff.

                Sent from my iPhone

                On Apr 8, 2014, at 7:15 PM, "Scot McPherson" <scot.mcpherson@...> wrote:

                The boom of a gaff rigged sail?

                Scot McPherson, PMP CISSP MCSA
                Shoreline, CT
                Sent from my iPhone

                On Apr 8, 2014, at 6:56 PM, "John Kohnen" <jhkohnen@...> wrote:

                > What the heck's a "gaffboom?" <g>
                >
                > On Mon, 07 Apr 2014 23:24:50 -0700, c.ruzer wrote:
                >
                >> EBAY link
                >> http://www.ebay.com/itm/201063550712?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D201063550712%26_rdc%3D1:
                >
                > --
                > John (jkohnen@...)
                > Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow. (Mark
                > Twain)

              • Michael Bruck
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 9, 2014
                  And here was me thinking that a "gaffboom" was the sound the upper spar makes when it hits the leeward shroud after a flying jibe....-mike

                  To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
                  From: scot.mcpherson@...
                  Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2014 20:02:09 -0400
                  Subject: Re: [bolger] Re: 4Sale: Story shipyard 1980 Custom Bolger 40' Schooner $17000US

                  Well but that would be the gaff, not the boom...haha

                  Scot McPherson, PMP CISSP MCSA
                  Shoreline, CT
                  Sent from my iPhone

                  On Apr 8, 2014, at 7:51 PM, "Connor, Patrick" <pconnor@...> wrote:

                  The gaff.

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  On Apr 8, 2014, at 7:15 PM, "Scot McPherson" <scot.mcpherson@...> wrote:

                  The boom of a gaff rigged sail?

                  Scot McPherson, PMP CISSP MCSA
                  Shoreline, CT
                  Sent from my iPhone

                  On Apr 8, 2014, at 6:56 PM, "John Kohnen" <jhkohnen@...> wrote:

                  > What the heck's a "gaffboom?" <g>
                  >
                  > On Mon, 07 Apr 2014 23:24:50 -0700, c.ruzer wrote:
                  >
                  >> EBAY link
                  >> http://www.ebay.com/itm/201063550712?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D201063550712%26_rdc%3D1:
                  >
                  > --
                  > John (jkohnen@...)
                  > Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow. (Mark
                  > Twain)

                • BruceHallman

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 9, 2014
                      In defense of whoever wrote the ad... he might have got his early sail
                      training in (on?) a Sunfish or Sailfish:

                      http://www.sunfishdirect.com/sunfish.php?p=sunfish_sideview

                      The yard of a Sunfish is called the "upper boom!" :ob And the boom is, of
                      course, the "lower boom." <sigh> Talk about getting kids off on the wrong
                      foot...

                      On Wed, 09 Apr 2014 05:20:09 -0700, Mike B wrote:

                      > And here was me thinking that a "gaffboom" was the sound the upper spar
                      > makes when it hits the leeward shroud after a flying jibe....-mike

                      --
                      John (jkohnen@...)
                      I can usually judge a fellow by what he laughs at. (Wilson Mizner)
                    • c.ruzer
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 16, 2014

                        Bruce, I think your guess is a good one.

                        There are some minor dimensional discrepancies between the eBay ad specs and those in Different Boats.

                         Also our group database shows a displacement of 5250lbs not the 14ton in the ebay ad, but DB shows lead ballast in the keel at 5250lbs, and displacement at 18750lbs, or about 8.4ton. I believe that is simply resolved by assuming the displacement figure in the database table and that in the ad to both be in error.

                        The stove shown in the ad photo is a Shipmate #211, whereas in the drawings it is a #212 ;-)

                        The ad description of the internal layout matches the drawings in DB as do the photos. The external photos also match the drawings in the book. The ad photo showing the boat sailing could almost be from the same day, location, and course, as the small b&w photo in the book.

                        Again, well spotted.

                        So then, this boat's name is "Shearwater"? (It would have been of interest here to see a photo of the transom in the ad...)

                      • c.ruzer
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 16, 2014
                          "The ad photo showing the boat sailing could almost be from the same day.." I said "almost". There are some various (minor) differences in the sails between the drawing and two photos