Written References on Black Skimmer?

  • gmkdart
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 14, 2014

      Can anyone help me.

      I know that Bolger wrote about the design in Light Schooner, but I am curious if there are other references such as MAIB.

      Thanks,

      Michael

    • c.ruzer
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 14, 2014

        Yes, MAIB, WoodenBoat, and elsewhere. There's  now 842 results for Black Skimmer when searched in the yahoo neo groups "search conversations" field and by clicking on the "search groups" button. I just checked. Add extra terms as desired to narrow it down to what you're chasing.

        Also 156000 google web search returns for black skimmer boat.

        yahoo is broken isn't it. still.

      • BruceHallman

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 14, 2014
                Thank you for the instructions on using google. Sadly, thanks to bots. if you google "black skimmer" in quotes and bolger and sailboat, after the second page of hits its all basically junk...
              • gmkdart
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 14, 2014

                  More to the point-- I was hoping to find a bibliography of articles written, possibly a couple of build blogs (yes I've seen nexus marine's site). I figured MAIB must have a few writings. Trouble is locating the issues.

                  Thanks in advance for specifics.

                • c.ruzer
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 15, 2014

                  Hi Bruce,

                  absolutely. I'd be delighted to send you the article(s) as attached files. Unfortunately though, this broken neo yahoo broken thing doesn't seem to facilitate contact by sending you a pm ( although I see my email addy is displayed in full on the neo webpage in your post - neo! ) ( ps. Bruce, would you mind deleting that post of yours https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/bolger/conversations/messages/70187 please, before this small and so far clean yahoo account gets super spammed?) (pps. It was a case of spammer mistaken identity got me kicked once before!)  Do you retain your old email address? - I saw that your pages weren't up about a week or so ago...

                  Bruce, you listed the mentioned Black Skimmer article in MAIB Vol20 Issue21: "Shoal Water Chartering" (by Rich SantaColoma). That was in the index you posted back here:

                  #59286 From: "Bruce Hallman" <bruce@...>
                  Date: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:01 am
                  Subject: Re: MAIB index of Bolger articles

                  And expanded here too:

                  #60301 From: Bruce Hallman <bruce@...>
                  Date: Thu May 14, 2009 3:58 am
                  Re: isometric suggestions?

                  Those indexes of yours should be back in the message (neo now broken 'conversations') archive, but copies are attached, as is Dave Thibodeau's index up to V18N14 (no longer available at http://www.messingaboutinboats.com/archived.html but AFAIK it is still in the bolger2 group Files. I can't check on that right now as the rigmarole of logging off, on, off, on, sends neo into even deeper dysfunction.)

                  In the MAIB folio you compiled I have the Black Skimmer article "Shoal Water Chartering" by Rich SantaColoma occurring twice. It is at "V11-N21 Shoal Water Chartering Black Skimmer.." and is there along with  "V11-N21 Paddling Skiff 613"; and it  also appears at "V20-N21 Black Skimmer chartering..", and again it's along with "V20-N21 Paddling Skiff" there.

                  I'm thinking that one of each duplicate Santa Caloma and Paddling Skiff article is out of order, but I'm unsure to which issue one of each solely belongs. However, corresponding to V11N21 Dave Thibodeau in y2k had "#613 Paddling Skiff,  7'6"x2', Vol11 Is21 Pg28" but an item was missing for that issue in your index per message #60301 of May 14, 2009. Further, as Dave Thibodeau's index ends two volumes before V20, and as your 2009 2009 index shows "V20  N21  Black Skimmer Chartering" I think it likely that it isn't a case of a prior or later updated article gone missing.

                  best regards

                  ---In bolger@yahoogroups.com, <hallman@...> wrote :

                  ADDY DELETED wrote:

                  Black Skimmer article in MAIB Vol20 Issue21

                  I have a nearly complete collection of MAIBs, but that issue is one which I am missing!

                  Care to share a scan?

                  (Also missing V20N20, which Bolger article is in that issue?)

                • c.ruzer
                  Message 9 of 13 , Mar 15, 2014
                    Bruce,

                    (Also missing V20N20, which Bolger article is in that issue?)

                    Neo chopped out part of my earlier reply. Here you go:

                    V20-N20 Fantail Launch
                    BOD #67 (?)
                    Fantail Launch
                    DESIGN #419
                    23'0" X 6'0" X 1'10"
                    for  DONALD A. NORMANDEAU (looks like), and in title box of sectional drawings sheet reproduction
                    for WOODEN BOAT

                    cheers

                    Message 10 of 13 , Mar 15, 2014
                  • earling22 .
                    Message 11 of 13 , Mar 15, 2014
                      I built a Black Skimmer in '86 (and loved it). I've written a fair bit about in woodenboat forum if you search. My user name there is "earling2" so if you search for my posts, it might be the easiest way to find it. I go into some depth about it's sailing qualities, etc
                    • guyhockley
                      Message 12 of 13 , Mar 15, 2014
                        Mike O'Brien of Woodenboat started his own magazine, Boat Design Quarterly. The first article of the first issue is about how he commissioned the Black Skimmer design and built the first one, includes lines drawing, original Bolger cartoon proposal with twin rudders, panel expansions etc.
                        Most issues have one or more Bolger boats in.
                        http://www.daltonyoung.co.uk/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=9593854
                        or
                        http://www.boatdesignquarterly.com/
                      • alias1719
                        Message 13 of 13 , Mar 17, 2014
                          --In bolger@yahoogroups.com, <guyhockley@...> wrote :Mike O'Brien of Woodenboat started his own magazine, Boat Design Quarterly. The first article of the first issue is about how he commissioned the Black Skimmer design and built the first one, includes lines drawing, original Bolger cartoon proposal with twin rudders, panel expansions etc.

                          A wee bit of follow up on that: I know Mike a bit . . . a few months ago he told me the last time he saw his old Black Skimmer it was derelict  - but in OK shape - along the side of a back road, very near where I live on the Chesapeake Bay. I spent a number of hours eagerly driving around looking for her but, sadly, it had been too many years and I couldn't find her.

                          Dave Gentry