A Critical Theory

  • c.ruzer
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 14 12:58 AM

      "When Bradford Story was building the cabin in which I'm writing, I had specified how it was to be painted. He's not fond of painting, and one day he asked me what the paint was for. I opened my mouth to answer, and no words came. No more painting was ever done on my boat on any surface the sun's rays can't attack. decoration is several hundred battered books, and, temporarily tacked up, a local chart, a photo of the haunting Lamborghini Countarch automobile, and a print of a Ross Shardlow painting of the bark Endeavour in which each crewmember's individual personality appears. This last has been up for some time, as it's hard to exhaust." - PCB, BOAM, Chap 69, Advanced Sharpie 29, p372.

      Finally, I looked for that print...

      "When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice." - Saul Bellow

      The largest/clearest image a search found on the web

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/73490207@N05/6646201961/sizes/o/in/photostream/  is per Shengying Bi's http://www.flickr.com/photos/73490207@N05/sets/ Architecture and Transport Sketches photo set. Also there's not too bad a scan of Shardlow's HMBark Endeavour on Page 3 here, but it's still with insufficient resolution of the personalities portrayed after landing in a strange strange land for the first time to obtain water at Kurnell.

      http://www.anmm.gov.au/webdata/resources/pdfs/endeavour/HMBEConnectPrimaryActivitySheetsFinal.pdf

      http://www.mysticseaportart.com/posters.asp

      http://img.aasd.com.au/39110781.jpg

      http://www.mysticseaportart.com/graphics/1007617r.jpg

      http://www.mysticseaportart.com/graphics/1007616r.jpg

    • c.ruzer
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 14 1:39 AM

        "Jesse Cooper ... There were other weaknesses, not as easily corrected: ..

        4. ...this last was exacerbated by the placement of her masts and daggerboard far off center, with the result that she had appreciably more stability on one tack than she did on the other." - PCB, BWAOM, Chap 69, Advanced Sharpie 29, p369.

        What the? What happened to a repeated claim and signature design statement that people may object to asymmetry of rig placement, but boats do not notice such asymmetry at all? I'm fairly certain Bob Wise has not published that he found Jesse Cooper to have a lob-sided stability issue. Back in the old days...

        "I took advantage of my gradually increasing boldness in using asymmetry to make space on the tiny transom for an out board rudder, an outboard motor, and a mizzenmast - all of which I defy any body to fit symmetrically." - PCB, DB, Chap 13, Otter II, p70.

        I think, empty, she'd have marginally less remaining stability on one tack than the other, though such listing could be countered. Michalak still leans towards the famous Bolger asymmetry, yet how does such asymmetry stand up once the master has found it wanting?

        "A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be." - Albert Einstein

        Albert Einstein