Good lug sailmaker?

  • eric14850
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 12, 2014
      Can anyone recommend a sailmaker skilled at sewing lug sails properly?  I need three sails sewn for me.  A balanced lug of approx 110 sq ft.  Balanced lug of approx 250 sq ft and a standing lug of approx 250 sq ft.  I expect 90* tacks which is what ROGUE will do with the cobbled sails I am currently using.  And I expect them to pull like genoas.  In other words I expect better results than with the chopped up used sails I have been getting by with.

      Eric
    • Leigh
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 12, 2014
        I gotta set of sails for my Martha Jane from Peak Sails for just over $800. Haven't used them yet so can't comment on the cut or durability. Other quotes ranged from $2400 to $1200.

        Leigh Ross

        484 464 1575 C
        610  624 1730 H

        On Jan 12, 2014, at 21:52, <eric14850@...> wrote:

        Can anyone recommend a sailmaker skilled at sewing lug sails properly?  I need three sails sewn for me.  A balanced lug of approx 110 sq ft.  Balanced lug of approx 250 sq ft and a standing lug of approx 250 sq ft.  I expect 90* tacks which is what ROGUE will do with the cobbled sails I am currently using.  And I expect them to pull like genoas.  In other words I expect better results than with the chopped up used sails I have been getting by with.

        Eric

      • Connor, Patrick
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 12, 2014
          Manchester sails did mine and a fine job too.

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Jan 12, 2014, at 9:52 PM, "eric14850@..." <eric14850@...> wrote:

          Can anyone recommend a sailmaker skilled at sewing lug sails properly?  I need three sails sewn for me.  A balanced lug of approx 110 sq ft.  Balanced lug of approx 250 sq ft and a standing lug of approx 250 sq ft.  I expect 90* tacks which is what ROGUE will do with the cobbled sails I am currently using.  And I expect them to pull like genoas.  In other words I expect better results than with the chopped up used sails I have been getting by with.

          Eric

        • mason smith
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 12, 2014

            I’d recommend Douglas Fowler, of Ithaca, NY, who has made all my sails for Goodboats and Rushton Vespers, Bolger Birdwatchers and Micro. I think they are astutely cut, with plenty of draft via broadseam. He’s a one-man shop, not high-tech. As I said recently here, his standing lugsails for the Goodboats sailed rings around the very well-made but flat sails I was using at first. To judge from the informal match sailing we did with two other Micros at Gloucester, at Phil’s memorial gathering, Douglas’s Micro sails are relatively fast too. I also had him make a working jib for a 23’ antique sloop that transformed our sailing in that 1951 CYC raceboat. The sails are durable but not overdone—appropriate to my uses. Good prices too.  ---Mason

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 18, 2014

              Mason's critique is why I went to Doug first, and he lives just down the street from me.  However, he does not build sails as large as I need.

              Patrick and Leigh,thank you for your suggestions.  I will check both shops out.

              Eric

            • eric14850
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 25, 2014
                Contact information for Manchester Sails?
              • Connor, Patrick
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 26, 2014
                  Checking.

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 26, 2014
                    Well Ike is out of the business and brewing beer in Portland. Paint me green..

                    Sorry that lead ran out.

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    On Jan 25, 2014, at 7:54 PM, "eric14850@..." <eric14850@...> wrote:

                    Contact information for Manchester Sails?

                  • phil.bolger
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 26, 2014
                      Check out Sail-Maker Roy Downs of Danvers, MA.
                      He did the 900+sq.ft. Dipping-Lug for Design #621 “REIVER-II”, and it looked decent with adequate draft, if I recall correctly...
                      It seems that he understands 4-sided sails, unlike quite a few others.

                      Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 26, 2014
                      A nice solution for reefing a large sprit sail....perhaps?
                      From the Wharram group.
                      Pat
                    • Connor, Patrick
                      Message 11 of 13 , Jan 27, 2014

                        Eric, well, I found out that Manchester Sailmakers IS STILL in business, but now answers the phone under Doyle. 508-992-6322. 278 Elm St. S. Dartmouth, MA 02748. Don’t know if all the four-sided sailmaking skills went out the door with Ike, but their website professes expertise in this area. Anyways, there it is. Sorry for the confusion.

                        Message 12 of 13 , Jan 28, 2014

                          i don't know if it's been suggested, but i would check duckworks magazine. i ordered a sprit sail through them to replace one i had been using for 17 years. i made the original out of an old head sail from a large cutter. it always worked well, but i thought a professionally made sail might make a difference. their cost was reasonable and the quality was excellent. the new sail pulls like a champ. the difference is amazing.

                          i know a sprit sail isn't a lug sail but, they certainly must understand four sided sails and the quality of the sail i got from them is excellent.i drew the sail i wanted, with dimensions and CE on the drawing, and emailed it to them. i received my sail in the mail and it was exactly what i wanted.

                        • eric14850
                          Message 13 of 13 , Feb 8, 2014

                            Thank you for posting this.  My light air sail will have one reef and being a loose footed standing lug sail I was not sure how I was going to tie in the reef.  Now I won't have to reinvent something already solved.

                            Eric