Junebug

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2007
      To my eye, Junebug is homely looking, as I favor curvy lapstrakes,
      etc.. Yet, when you run the numbers, nothing exceeds Junebug for
      suitability as a mooring tender. Junebug is almost identical in size,
      weight and shape to my Michalak Roar, but Roar has two bilge strakes.
      Roar is a really great rowboat, but you cannot easily stand up in
      Roar, where in Junebug (per PCB) you can stand on a gunnel.

      http://hallman.org/bolger/Junebug/JuneBug.png
      http://hallman.org/bolger/Junebug/JuneBug.fbm
    • Sam Glasscock
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 31, 2007
        The Feb. 1 MAIB has an article about the trip I took
        in my Bolger Topaz Spat up the Hudson River to Lake
        Champlain. Due to a miscommunication between me and
        the editor, the story is attributed to me. It
        actually was written by Mason Turner, who accompanied
        me on that trip. Nice picture of Spat footing it down
        the Delaware coast, however. Sam

        It's here! Your new message!
      • Mark Albanese
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 16, 2014

          Because the plumb sides allow it so well, Junebug's leeboard drops through a couple of battens outboard.

          But you are right. The clip on type from Featherwind, Nymph etc is another good option for Bob.

          People seem to have to fuss a bit to get one of Jim Michalak's popup types exactly right while coming off the plans, whatever its fine merits in use. Could be a little trickier in an improvised retrofit...

          The clip on and the single bolt through the side are simpler.

          Now what I'd like to see is a clip on device with a blade that raises.

          On Jan 16, 2014 6:04 PM, <philbolger@...> wrote:

          ...isn’t it a clip-on leeboard ?
          No-board broad-reaching on a deeper-Vee chine might be interesting - if you can keep her there..

          Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

          Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2014 8:59 PM
          Subject: RE: [bolger] Bolger Junebug

          Many / most of the Michalak boats have a simple and effective lee board setup. Check his designs, it'll give you a pretty good idea how to go about it.

          Dennis / Scram Pram

          To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
          From: bobnsandy9295@...
          Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 17:28:41 -0800
          Subject: [bolger] Bolger Junebug

          New to group but recently purchased a Junebug that was set up for rowing. I have added "skids" to bottom, resealed fore and aft bulkheads, and totally repainted. Boat is not fiberglassed; painted plywood only. I plan to use a 75 sg. ft. lateen sail from a Sunfish plus the foils from the same.

          Any suggestions for where I should step the mast? Some have told me the center of effort should be in front of  the leeboard but a Michalak essay states it should be aft of the centerboard in order to provide weather helm. Help! Also, any suggestions for installing a swing leeboard? Tampa bay is quite shallow!

          Thanks for any and all (reasonable) suggestions.

          BobfromSWOhio (and Tampa Bay in the winter)