Jonesport Cleat

  • Roger Derby
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 19, 2003
      I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I can't find it in the Chebacco
      files. The Chebacco drawings show the profile several times, but I've found
      only one, half section showing the plan view and poorly drawn; and nothing
      showing either end view.

      Bill Sampson seems to have fitted his per the drawings, but there's no
      groove for the anchor line and no ring.

      Jamie Orr's fitting is "larger than the spec." and has the groove and a
      ring.

      The photo of Nencia being changed to the "Cruising Conversion" shows a short
      bowsprit with a Hershoff Cleat. No Jonesport cleat.

      What's magic about this chunk of wood?

      Roger
      derbyrm@...
      http://derbyrm.mystarband.net
    • sctree
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 19, 2003

        > What's magic about this chunk of wood?
        >
        > Roger

        It's a cheap, dead simple to make, (no need for exacting measurments),
        dead simple to use, means of easily and securly cleating off the
        middle of an anchorline , mooring line or dock line to the bow of a
        decked boat. Easily throughbolted to the deck with enough fasteners and
        bedding/glue of your choice so that the deck would tear off before the
        cleat would give way...

        Basicly it's a giant thumb cleat with a rod running through it
        crossways to take a couple wraps from the line after it passes behind
        the 'thumb". The groove, notch, ring, or ears forward are just owner
        applied improvements in attempts to capture the line, reducing side
        movement of the line. In use, I always lead the line diagonally over the
        "saddle" before going under the thumb and taking a wrap on the rod...
        Never slips..... anyone can cast it off...

        Rick
      • jas_orr
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 19, 2003
          Hi

          Fie! A scurrilous slander! Who says Wayward Lass' Jonesport cleat
          is larger than spec? Let the mesbegotten ape who says so come and
          settle the matter in person....

          Oops, yes, I was just reading Patrick O' Brian -- they did have a way
          with words in 1812, didn't they?

          However, in this 21st century I still stand by my cleat, and its
          measurements. I scaled it from the drawings, with my trusty
          architect's scale rule as per Harold Payson's writing.

          For additional guidance on the groove, which is not shown on the
          Chebacco plans, have a look at Payson's article on Bobcat (I think).
          It may be in his book or in a Woodenboat article, I'm not sure, but
          somewhere I saw the groove portrayed. The boom bail (the "ring") is
          my own idea and serves to hold the line in place if it tries to jump
          out. Since I do most of my anchor handling from the cockpit, it
          comes in useful.

          The magic in the cleat is that leading the anchor rode directly over
          the bow keeps the boat from sailing around its anchor -- keeping the
          mizzen up helps too. Other methods will work. If you'd like a
          bowsprit look at Randy Wheating's Bluster on www.chebacco.com -- he
          has a plank bowsprit with an anchor roller in the middle, that makes
          a very tidy arrangement.

          Cheers,

          Jamie

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Derby" <derbyrm@s...> wrote:
          > I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I can't find it in the
          Chebacco
          > files. The Chebacco drawings show the profile several times, but
          I've found
          > only one, half section showing the plan view and poorly drawn; and
          nothing
          > showing either end view.
          >
          > Bill Sampson seems to have fitted his per the drawings, but there's
          no
          > groove for the anchor line and no ring.
          >
          > Jamie Orr's fitting is "larger than the spec." and has the groove
          and a
          > ring.
          >
          > The photo of Nencia being changed to the "Cruising Conversion"
          shows a short
          > bowsprit with a Hershoff Cleat. No Jonesport cleat.
          >
          > What's magic about this chunk of wood?
          >
          > Roger
          > derbyrm@s...
          > http://derbyrm.mystarband.net
        • Hugo Tyson
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 19, 2003
            Let your noble steel blade prove thy honour apon the vile and malformed body of thy slanderer, who's foul body reminds one of an ill-begotton dog baboon afflicted with the cursed yellow jack!!!!!!!!!!!

            VERY STRANGE??!!!!!! I've been reading too many Medieval fantasy type novels for my own good!

            ONLY JOKING.

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            Bolger rules!!!

          • Roger Derby
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 19, 2003
              Well, ah, err. I did find this on the web somewhere:

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 19, 2003
                Oh. Okay, you're forgiven. I meant to say that I measured the plan
                to determine the full size dimension, not that I enlarged the cleat.
                Still, it felt good to shout and wave a figurative sword around.
                Thanks for the opportunity.

                Jamie

                > Well, ah, err. I did find this on the web somewhere:

              • craig o'donnell
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 20, 2003
                  >Hi Fie! A scurrilous slander!
                  >
                  >The magic in the cleat is that leading the anchor rode directly over
                  >the bow keeps the boat from sailing around its anchor -- keeping the
                  >mizzen up helps too. Other methods will work. If you'd like a
                  >bowsprit look at Randy Wheating's Bluster on www.chebacco.com -- he
                  >has a plank bowsprit with an anchor roller in the middle, that makes
                  >a very tidy arrangement.

                  Hi Fi indeed.

                  Jamie, you got a drawing of this, or a clear photo? Inquiring minds would
                  like a look-see.

                  Cheers -- COD
                  --
                  Craig O'Donnell
                  Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats

                  -- Macintosh kinda guy
                  Friend of Wanda the Wonder Cat, 1991-1997.
                  _________________________________
                • David Romasco
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 20, 2003
                    Hmmm.... think PCB had a pretty good view (and recommendation) of the
                    Jonesport cleat in Small Boats somewhere.

                    David Romasco

                    _____

                    >The magic in the cleat is that leading the anchor rode directly over
                    >the bow keeps the boat from sailing around its anchor -- keeping the
                    >mizzen up helps too. Other methods will work. If you'd like a
                    >bowsprit look at Randy Wheating's Bluster on www.chebacco.com -- he
                    >has a plank bowsprit with an anchor roller in the middle, that makes
                    >a very tidy arrangement.

                    Hi Fi indeed.

                    Jamie, you got a drawing of this, or a clear photo? Inquiring minds would
                    like a look-see.

                    Cheers -- COD
                    --
                    Craig O'Donnell
                    Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats
                    Plywood Boats, Bamboo Rafts, &c.
                    _________________________________

                    -- Macintosh kinda guy
                    Friend of Wanda the Wonder Cat, 1991-1997.
                    _________________________________

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12ca9eadp/M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egroup
                    web/S=1705065791:HM/EXP=1069426444/A=1853618/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Def
                    ault?mqso=60178338&partid=4116732> click here

                    <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egroupmai
                    l/S=:HM/A=1853618/rand=989712086>

                    Bolger rules!!!
                    (978) 282-1349

                    <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                  • Roger Derby
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 20, 2003
                      OK, it's presumptious of me, but I put a picture of Jamie's and Bill
                      Samson's cleats on Bolger3.