Motorsailing Cargo Boat

  • porcupinefysh
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 26, 2002
      In the 2001 edition of _Boatbuilder Magazine's_ "Complete Guide to
      Boat Kits and Plans", there is a sketch of a 30'x10'x2' motorsailer
      by Bolger. It looks like it's a gaff yawl. The copy states that it
      takes an 18hp diesel and is built in plywood. There is an aft
      pilothouse, a raised deck cabin in the forepeak and a cockpit/cargo
      area amidships. I've checked the database extensively and have found
      no mention of this vessel. Before I fire off a FAX to Phil & Susan,
      does anyone know of a write-up anywhere?

      I find such little freighters facinating (Buehler has also designed a
      few). They summon pleasant thoughts of self-supporting tramping about
      among tropical islands. I know, of course, that the type of cargo
      likely to be profitably carried would probably get one arrested or
      shot, not the sort of trade I want to engage in during my retirement.
      Still, if I had such a boat, I could *imagine* being a later day
      Gardner McKay....

      porky
    • rnlocnil
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 26, 2002
        Actually, my guess is that you'd be shot whether you were carrying it
        or not. Remember Jimmy Buffet's close brush with the local police (or
        was it the military?) in the Caribbean (not sure I remember the
        country). Someday they'll get around to books or epoxy, as each person
        will NOT be allowed to destroy himself in his own way, but only in the
        approved ways (i.e.inactivity, alcohol, hamburgers and tobacco).

        There's a neat little "freighter" called Buy Boat in Thomas Firth
        Jones' New Plywood Boats, tho it has no sails.

        Also, look at the Scow Schooner in BWaOM.
        --- In bolger@y..., "porcupinefysh" <porcupine@d...> wrote:
        > In the 2001 edition of _Boatbuilder Magazine's_ "Complete Guide to
        > Boat Kits and Plans", there is a sketch of a 30'x10'x2' motorsailer
        > by Bolger. snipcockpit/cargo
        > area amidships.snip
        > I find such little freighters facinating snip They summon pleasant
        thoughts of self-supporting tramping
        about
        > among tropical islands. I know, of course, that the type of cargo
        > likely to be profitably carried would probably get one arrested or
        > shot, not the sort of trade I want to engage in during my
        retirement.
        > Still, if I had such a boat, I could *imagine* being a later day
        > Gardner McKay....
        >
        > porky
      • Vince and Mary Ann Chew
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 26, 2002
          Porky,

          The design was described on one page in the Jan/Feb 1995 issue of
          Boatbuilder. There is a full length column of text alongside the
          drawings. It was designed for Scott Leiser of Anchorage, Alaska to
          service isolated hunting, fishing, and scientific camps. She is designed
          to carry three long tons of cargo. She may be fitted with flexible tanks
          in the hold to take on ballast water when making a passage empty.

          Bolger envisions the engine running at all times with sail assist to
          reduce fuel consumption.

          Construction is sheet plywood in multiple courses, epoxy composite
          joints and overall glass sheathing.

          Mainmast is a four stave wooden spar. Mizzen is an aluminum pipe up
          which the engine exausts dry. Both masts are stepped through the deck.

          I vaguely remember reading somewhere that she was never built, but I may
          be wrong.

          Vince Chew
        • Paul Lefebvre
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 26, 2002
            > Actually, my guess is that you'd be shot whether you were carrying it
            > or not. Remember Jimmy Buffet's close brush with the local police (or
            > was it the military?) in the Caribbean (not sure I remember the
            > country).

            it was Jamaica... The song he got out of it is called 'Jamaica
            Mistaka'.......

            Paul L.
          • Chuck Leinweber
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 26, 2002
              .....back to Jamaica; we made a big mistake-a....

              Remember Jimmy Buffet's close brush with the local police in the Caribbean (not sure I remember the country

            • brucehallman
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 26, 2002
                --- In bolger@y..., "porcupinefysh" <porcupine@d...> wrote:
                > Boat Kits and Plans", there is a sketch of a 30'x10'x2' motorsailer
                > by Bolger. It looks like it's a gaff yawl.

                Not the same, but similar is _Scow Schooner_ BWAOM Ch#41 "Here in
                Northern California ther used to be a sort of working craft called a
                hay schooner..."
              • brucehector
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 26, 2002
                  TF Jones "Buy Boat" got me dreaming too, and sketching also. Trying a
                  similar layout and look on a Bolgeresque cutwater hull of simple flat
                  bottom. Could be nice.

                  Another designer with lots of freighter look boats is Jay Benford.
                  His Florida Bay Freighters and Tramps have long been fascinating to
                  me. His book "Small Ships" is the stuff of dreams. I think all could
                  be built on a pure flat bottom hull with a wee bit of rocker forward
                  as in Wyohming, or a small Aircraft Carrier perhaps.

                  Bruce Hector
                  www.brucesboats.com
                • Mark Albanese
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 26, 2002
                    Bruce, my favorite theme... Will you show what you come up with?

                    Mark

                    brucehector wrote:

                    > TF Jones "Buy Boat" got me dreaming too, and sketching
                    > also. Trying a similar layout and look on a Bolgeresque cutwater hull of
                    > simple flat bottom. Could be nice.
                  • David Romasco
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 26, 2002
                      Bruce, I visited Benford last month, and he's putting the final touches
                      to a major update of "Small Ships". He swears it'll hit the streets in
                      the next few months. He's got some designs in the 35-40' range that
                      have more living space than my last house, and some of them are designed
                      for plywood construction (you guys hear that?).

                      The Admiral is intrigued... and we're also interested in the Puffer
                      cartoon, which is quite similar to the Benford concepts in Small Ships,
                      but perhaps with a bit more windage than a buy boat would have.

                      David Romasco

                      TF Jones "Buy Boat" got me dreaming too, and sketching also. Trying a
                      similar layout and look on a Bolgeresque cutwater hull of simple flat
                      bottom. Could be nice.

                      Another designer with lots of freighter look boats is Jay Benford.
                      His Florida Bay Freighters and Tramps have long been fascinating to
                      me. His book "Small Ships" is the stuff of dreams. I think all could
                      be built on a pure flat bottom hull with a wee bit of rocker forward
                      as in Wyohming, or a small Aircraft Carrier perhaps.

                      Bruce Hector
                      www.brucesboats.com

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=213858.1879371.3379540.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
                      065791:HM/A=763352/R=0/*http://www.classmates.com/index.tf?s=5085>

                      <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=213858.1879371.3379540.1261774/D=egrou
                      pmail/S=1705065791:HM/A=763352/rand=746703459>

                      Bolger rules!!!
                      01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

                      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                    • thomwun
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 26, 2002
                        I started building this boat last December. I have been in contact
                        with Scott Leiser several times. His boat is about 80 % finished.

                        Scott built upside down, I am building right side up.

                        It goes together nicely, the rough hull should be done in 4 to 6
                        weeks.

                        Greetings

                        Thomas Wunderlin

                        On the shores of Great Slave Lake, Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada
                      • pererieravicens
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 26, 2002
                          Another cargo vessel (no bolger) is Eureka. It is 26' and capable of
                          carrying 3 tons of cargo and 180 cubic feet. Can live 2 crews. I
                          think it can go with aux. sails also.
                          http://www.glen-l.com/

                          --- In bolger@y..., "thomwun" <thomwun@s...> wrote:
                          > I started building this boat last December. I have been in contact
                          > with Scott Leiser several times. His boat is about 80 % finished.
                          >
                          > Scott built upside down, I am building right side up.
                          >
                          > It goes together nicely, the rough hull should be done in 4 to 6
                          > weeks.
                          >
                          > Greetings
                          >
                          > Thomas Wunderlin
                          >
                          > On the shores of Great Slave Lake, Yellowknife, Northwest
                          Territories, Canada
                        • roue20ca
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 27, 2002
                            I have seen pictures of boats used for the same thing here in Nova
                            Scotia, Canada. I have never heard or seen a specific name or design
                            for them but the idea is exactly the same. Farmers along the coast
                            found the easiest way to move produce often hay from there farms,
                            often in the delta areas to the big coastal cities, before the days of
                            trucks was in small 30'-50' boats often open often schooner rigged.

                            Andy Moore
                            Nova Scotia
                            Canada

                            > Not the same, but similar is _Scow Schooner_ BWAOM Ch#41 "Here in
                            > Northern California ther used to be a sort of working craft called a
                            > hay schooner..."
                          • porcupinefysh
                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 27, 2002
                              Thomas,

                              I guess that it's too early to ask how the boat performs, but if you
                              post the design number and plans price we can put them in the
                              Database,

                              TIA,

                              porky

                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 27, 2002
                                It is design #610 and the fee to build one boat was $250.

                                Thomas
                              • porcupinefysh
                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 27, 2002
                                  Just as a point of reference, my own favorite cargo vessel is George
                                  Buehler's Archimedes, a 43' schooner. It doesn't have much of a hold
                                  as drawn, but you could reduce the accommodations some and get more
                                  room for cargo. Come to think of it, you could probably take just
                                  about any heavy displacement vessel and carve out a cargo hold in the
                                  middle of the hull.

                                  Buehler's boats have a certain charm and look easy to build. Having
                                  grown up on the (shoal) south shore of Long Island, NY, however, I
                                  find his deep keels kind of scary. Archemedes has a draft of six feet,
                                  about average for a Buehler boat of this size. Bolger would no doubt
                                  find this impractical and scandalous,

                                  porky

                                  --- In bolger@y..., "thomwun" <thomwun@s...> wrote:
                                  > It is design #610 and the fee to build one boat was $250.
                                  >
                                  > Thomas
                                • cluttonfred

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Feb 19, 2014
                                      Hello Matthew,
                                      no word in ages from Wunderlin.

                                      On Scott’s boat, I heard from a third party that she had been finished and is maintained to a very high standard.
                                      I talked with Scott about photos of his boat under sail, but to no avail yet.
                                      I did notice a for sale note in her, apparently due to life circumstances changing.

                                      Good to hear from you.  That calendar was very nice...
                                      Susanne

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Feb 19, 2014
                                        Hello Matthew,
                                        no word in ages from Wunderlin.

                                        On Scott’s boat, I heard from a third party that she had been finished and is maintained to a very high standard under a fair bit of regular use.

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Feb 19, 2014
                                          Thanks, Susanne, and great to hear from you, too.  Not much boating here in Nairobi, I'm afraid, but I still take out my various plans from time to time (especially Micro, Zephyr and Tennessee) to daydream about future projects in future, more boat-friendly postings.  I did find this brief thread in the group from 2008, but I can't seem to find the Bolger study plans only repository anymore.  Perhaps someone has that issue of Woodenboat and could scan the image and caption?  All the best, Matthew

                                          Mystery Motorsailer
                                          (2) Reply ViewNextPrevious
                                          Jack&Lois
                                          Message 1 of 2 , Jan 20, 2008Expand MessagesExpand Messages
                                          In the Launchings section of WoodenBoat #183, April 2005, a 30' 6" Bolger
                                          motorsailer built by Scott and Clovis Leiser is featured. Other than Stephen
                                          B., the name the Leisers gave their boat, there is no mention of a design
                                          name. I assume Bolger designed the boat specifically for them. Does anyone
                                          know of any follow up to this launching or of pictures of the boat under
                                          way? Since I've become smitten by Fast Motorsailer my eye is automatically
                                          drawn to that unique hull form. This boat is obviously a direct FMS
                                          descendant. If no one on this list knows anything about it I'll ask PCB&F
                                          about it in my next letter to them. I post my question here first because I
                                          suspect Phil and Suzanne roll their eyes at my chronic distractions.
                                          jeb, in Micro reconstruction mode, on the frosty shores of Fundy

                                          adventures_in_astrophotography
                                          Message 2 of 2 , Jan 21, 2008
                                          Hi Jeb,
                                          That's the Alaska Cargo Boat, which appears in a couple of places in
                                          the files sections of the various Bolger Yahoo groups. It's the
                                          first file in the bolger_study_plans_only group, and there's a copy
                                          of the Launchings photo in there as well.
                                          One big difference between this hull and FMS is that it's a
                                          displacement hull and not meant to get up and plane like FMS can.
                                          Jon Kolb