Re: [BodgerPark] Alarm fee; Was Re:July 4th wrapup

  • Mike Waterman
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 28, 2005

      Everything you say is correct except for the alarm fee. I have had an Alarm Permit for three years (and have never had a false alarm). This year, the city raised the fee to $62 for residential alarm permits.

      While I pay the fee, I don't really agree with the yearly fee concept. The city does not monitor the alarm. They respond to a 911 call from the alarm company. If you have more than 2 false alarms in a year, you start paying an additional false alarm fee. I think it would be much more fair (and have less of the appearance of a revenue enhancement or stealth tax) if the city charged a one time fee to enter your information into the system, and then begin charging the false alarm fee. After all, that's the only reason I can see for the city maintaining your information for a residential alarm - to enforce the false alarm fee. What else do they do for me for my $62 a year (as far as the alarm goes)?