Re: [BodgerPark] Caught a kid doing graffiti

    Message 1 of 9 , May 22, 2005
      I think that the thing to remember is that all this probably went on before,
      it's just that it wasn't as widely known.

      I think that things can only get better when we share the incidents that
      concern us and delight us about Bodger Park. But we have to be aware that
      prior to talking amongst ourselves, we probably had no way of knowing all
      the things that went on.

      Thinking back on some positives: we've had Jons come in, there is a greater
      police presence in Bodger Park now, and they caught some thieves in Feb that
      had caused us no end of grief. the incessant buzzing of pocket bikes are
      muted now, we know each other better. All in all, I'm happy with progress,
      even if slow at times.

      Brent

      >From: loryinlala@...
      >To: BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [BodgerPark] Caught a kid doing graffiti
      >Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 03:10:45 EDT
      >
      >Why does it have to be so hard to live in Bodger Park???!!! I'm just
      >getting so tired of all this graffiti and crime and especially the high
      >school kids
      >from Leuzinger! Lory

    • Sue Moret
      Message 2 of 9 , May 22, 2005
        Lory, I have lived in Bodger Park since 1955 and the area has had
        good times and bad times - I will tell you that ANY place near a
        school where teenage kids HAVE to go every day (even Palos Verdes or
        Brentwood) has trouble - that is the nature of the teenage beast.
        So many of my co-workers cannot afford South Bay and are living in
        Riverside or San Bernadino County, they commute 3 hours (each
        direction) every day just so they can own a home - they have no ocean
        breeze - and the crime out in the desert communities is SO much worse
        (mostly teenage crime) that nobody looks twice if a 15 year old is
        walking around carrying an automatic rifle.
        At least we have caring neighbors who watch out for you and a city
        that supports us (graffiti removal free!)

        Sue

        --- In BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com, "Brent Morgan" <brentamorgan@h...>

      • jsls110@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , May 22, 2005
          I also want to add to this. I work in S. Torrance and there is more going
          on there than is ever talked about or published in the newspaper. There's
          crime all around, we just discuss ours, rather than covering our ears and eyes!!
          Talking about our problems is a wonderful way of making us all aware of what
          is going on. I don't know how any others feel about their neighbors, but
          the ones on our end of Doty are the BEST!!
          Thanks,
          The Stewarts on Doty

        • Kim
          Message 4 of 9 , May 23, 2005
            Wow, Brent, you were lucky to catch him in the act as well as staying safe. We all ( or at least those of us that want to be pro-active) would like to prevent this sort of thing. Neighborhood watch covers a lot of ground. It seems that quite a lot of bad things happen at around 3:30 or so.

            Perhaps we could co-ordinate with Brenda and the other members of the watch group to have folks walking around at that time. I know that when I was in school we had certain routes that we all walked, I'm fairly sure that it is the same here. And most kids are good, thank goodness. I think this would be a great way for those elderly residents to participate, they are most willing to help as long as conflict is not involved. Again, as the police keep telling us, where there are eyes, nothing happens.

            Just a thought, see ya tonight at the meeting. K

            Message 5 of 9 , May 23, 2005
              Well said

              I think that the thing to remember is that all this probably went on before,
              it's just that it wasn't as widely known.

              I think that things can only get better when we share the incidents that
              concern us and delight us about Bodger Park. But we have to be aware that
              prior to talking amongst ourselves, we probably had no way of knowing all
              the things that went on.

              Thinking back on some positives: we've had Jons come in, there is a greater
              police presence in Bodger Park now, and they caught some thieves in Feb that
              had caused us no end of grief. the incessant buzzing of pocket bikes are
              muted now, we know each other better. All in all, I'm happy with progress,
              even if slow at times.

              Brent

              >From: loryinlala@...
              >To: BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: Re: [BodgerPark] Caught a kid doing graffiti
              >Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 03:10:45 EDT
              >
              >Why does it have to be so hard to live in Bodger Park???!!! I'm just
              >getting so tired of all this graffiti and crime and especially the high
              >school kids
              >from Leuzinger! Lory

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • NITA FREEMAN
              Message 6 of 9 , May 23, 2005
                I have been in Bodger Park since 1953. I graduated from Leuzinger in 1965. Things were not the same then, but I don't agree that the problems, such as graffiti, can be labeled as the "nature of the teenage beast". It seems that things have gotten out of hand, but will not speculate on the reasons why. I think the City of Hawthorne is doing a good job in trying to curb some of the delinquent activities, and don't think that Bodger Park is a bad place; as a matter of fact, with the help of the Mayor and the Hawthorne PD, things seem to be getting better.
                Nita

                Message 7 of 9 , May 23, 2005
                  Good answer, Sue.