Re: [BodgerPark] Re: need help!

  • Michael Waterman
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 5, 2004
      Kim,

      It probably has nothing to do with your potable water connection. This is a sewer problem. The sewer may or may not be anywhere near your water meter. As for what tree caused the problem, I never really found out for sure; whether it was a tree on my property or the one in the parkway.

      In any event, with a $1000 deductible on my Homeowner's Insurance, and the way things are now that if you even inquire about possibly making a claim, your insurance company may decide to cancel you, I just paid for it, as painful as that was.

      Mike
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 5, 2004
        If I can chime in to offer any advice, do not contact your insurance company!! We had water damage, filed a claim with our insurance company (our first and only claim); then we were dropped from coverage at renewal and forced to buy a policy 3x the amount of our original premium.

        After a claim is filed, you are put on a "black" list for 3 years. I do not know what will happen after 3 years, as I am nearing the end of year #3 -- I am hoping to get a huge rate reduction...
      • Kim
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 5, 2004
          Y'all are just the best! Thank you so very much for heeding my call for help. There is a plumber here as we speak. What he THINKS is that my reverse osmosis system keeps pumping out water so, with a main drain clog, that is the water that backed up. It is only gonna cost me a few hundred rather than over a thousand. Since I am a waitress, this is extreemly good news...I just hope he is right. We'll see.

          To all of you that answered me, big hugs! I have been thinking for quite a while that one of the good things that can come out of our new neighborhood "friendliness" is a listing of local contractors. I would much rather hire someone to work on my house that actually lives here rather than someone I have to look up in the phone book and don't know, how about you? I'm sure we have everything from accountants to, I don't know, zoologists here in the hood.

          I come from a place on the east coast where Elenore Roosevelt instituted a plan where every community was basically self-sufficient. Betcha we could do that here. I am a waitress, who also does private parties....what do YOU do? E-mail me and I will make a list. Mayhaps this can be included in the newsletter. What do you do? Let me know, networking is a wonderful thing.

          Thank you nice folks, again and again, Kim

          If I can chime in to offer any advice, do not contact your insurance company!! We had water damage, filed a claim with our insurance company (our first and only claim); then we were dropped from coverage at renewal and forced to buy a policy 3x the amount of our original premium.

          After a claim is filed, you are put on a "black" list for 3 years. I do not know what will happen after 3 years, as I am nearing the end of year #3 -- I am hoping to get a huge rate reduction...

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Kim
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 5, 2004
            u r a sweethart. thxs. so much. Poor Rico is here tryin to fix things! Thanks again, Michael.

            >Halloween in Bodger Park used to be great. Almost all of the houses gave
            >out candy and put up decorations. My children used to love it. Now, less
            >than 10 percent of the houses participate. I know this may be due the
            >influx of outer-neighbor trick-or-treaters, but that is already one part of
            >our neighborhood that is gone. Please don't make use leave our homes on
            >another holiday just to enjoy some family fun.

            I'm so glad that someone else misses Halloween too. I've closely watched
            Halloween participation in the neighborhood since I have a (now 6 years old)
            son and because I enjoy it myself. Halloween participation decreased
            dramatically and suddenly after 9/11. People were anxious and there were
            rumors of Al Qaida bombs planted at malls. I was determined not to lose
            this holiday to fear, and made a point of going out with my son. Where the
            previous years there had been too many children to count, there was only a
            handful.

            Fortunately, I think that participation improved in subsequent years, though
            last year it wasn't as busy as I'd hoped. I think that many adults who
            would have given candy were at parties of their own since the 31st fell on
            Friday. This year it's Sunday and I have hopes for a return to a very busy
            night.

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • suemoret
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 6, 2004
              I just gave Brent a couple of my archived Bodger Banters though I
              have more. I haven't seen them posted yet, but Local Bodger Park
              business used to advertise in the newsletter (probably really
              resonably) I beleive Jim's Plumbing might have been one of the
              advertisers. That also a thought to help defray the costs of
              publishing a newsletter...

              Sue Moret
              --- In BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com, Kim <loca107.1@e...> wrote:
              > Y'all are just the best! Thank you so very much for heeding my
              call for help. There is a plumber here as we speak. What he THINKS
              is that my reverse osmosis system keeps pumping out water so, with a
              main drain clog, that is the water that backed up. It is only gonna
              cost me a few hundred rather than over a thousand. Since I am a
              waitress, this is extreemly good news...I just hope he is right.
              We'll see.

              > To all of you that answered me, big hugs! I have been thinking for
              quite a while that one of the good things that can come out of our
              new neighborhood "friendliness" is a listing of local contractors. I
              would much rather hire someone to work on my house that actually
              lives here rather than someone I have to look up in the phone book
              and don't know, how about you? I'm sure we have everything from
              accountants to, I don't know, zoologists here in the hood.

              > I come from a place on the east coast where Elenore Roosevelt
              instituted a plan where every community was basically self-
              sufficient. Betcha we could do that here. I am a waitress, who also
              does private parties....what do YOU do? E-mail me and I will make a
              list. Mayhaps this can be included in the newsletter. What do you
              do? Let me know, networking is a wonderful thing.

              > Thank you nice folks, again and again, Kim

            • a a
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 7, 2004
                They probably were in your old news letters they have been
                around for years.....my sister did paperwork there for
                them 20 years ago when we were in high school!!!

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              • suemoret
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 7, 2004
                  Yes - My mother wrote these and I don't remember a flowerfairy or her
                  sister helping us...
                  I only have archives from 1971 thru 1983, but they have a history of
                  the the community and the projects and events that shaped this
                  neighborhood, which I feel is extremely important.

                  Service.

                • a a
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 9, 2004
                    My sister worked at Jim's plumbing, not with your Mom.
                    Sorry, I miss wrote that!!!
                    Jim's Plumbing has been around for years!!! :0)