Re: [BodgerPark] FW: Recycling Facility at 14948 Prairie Avenue

  • Katheryne Koelker
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 3, 2013
      There is a recycling center in Redondo Beach, behind the In-and-Out Burgers.  I never knew it was there until recently (I noticed it there while I was getting a soda).

      Katie/146th Street

      From: Heather <harriass2u@...>
      To: "BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com" <BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com>
      Cc: "bodger park" <bodgerpark@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Sunday, February 3, 2013, 8:19 AM

      My question is why this recycling center is not being placed in the supermarket parking area along Rosecrans The owner of the plaza agreed to the recycling center obviously to make a little extra revenue,but not considering impact of the other business parking and aesthetics. The city is required to do a study of the impact this might cause entering and exiting ( traffic flow )the plaza as an obstruction that can impact your view. This can be a hazard and concern for liability of the property owner and City for approving the project. It looks like parking is at its minimum ,commercial business is required to have so many parking spaces per business with handicapped parking . Does it comply to the Cities parking ordinance ? Keep the questions and concerns coming so they can be brought to the table.

      Sent from my iPad

      On Feb 3, 2013, at 7:03 AM, Kevin Schaaf <kevin_schaaf@...> wrote:

      I sent another email to Chris Palmer to state my opposition, and I agree that we need to start contacting council members.  I also stopped by the Donut shop on the corner of Prairie and Marine yesterday, and, after ordering a few treats, I asked the guy if he knew anything about the proposed Recycling Center which might be his new neighbor.  He hadn't heard anything about it, but, as we talked, it sounded like he had some questions about how that might affect his business.  I wonder if any of the other businesses on that corner know about this proposal.  If they were organized in opposition to it...the city just might listen.

      - Kevin Schaaf

      To: BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com
      From: jimbokat@...
      Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 09:29:14 -0800

      Yes we can, maybe we need to start wrighting them now. They have the last say so.

      From: plhachiya@... <plhachiya@...>
      Subject: [BodgerPark] FW: Recycling Facility at 14948 Prairie Avenue [2 Attachments]
      To: "Bodger Park" <bodgerpark@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Friday, February 1, 2013, 10:42 PM

      Sent from Yahoo! Mail for iPhone

      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 3, 2013
        I didn't know there was a center behine theb Vons store.

        From: jimbokat@...
        Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 09:29:14 -0800

        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 3, 2013
          Noit's north of that. behine the cleaners and the phone store. There is a parking lot back there.

          From: jimbokat@...
          Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 09:29:14 -0800

          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 3, 2013
            Walk down to the In-and-Out Burgers, then look behind it.  I almost thought it was a maintenance shed till I saw the sign.

            From: jimbokat@...
            Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 09:29:14 -0800

            Yes we can, maybe we need to start wrighting them now. They have the last say so.

            I will be there too. I encourage as many to show up as possible. Can't we appeal the planning commission's decision to city council?

            On Feb 1, 2013, at 11:18 PM, Jim & Kathy Radek <jimbokat@...> wrote:

            So with all the phone calls , e mails saying no we don't want this our planning dept. is telling the commission  adopt resolution 2013-03. Approving the recyleing center. And to hell with the people that have to live with it  here in Bodger.Even Lawndale is saying no to this thing.I will be there at that meeting.

            Attached is the staff report (22 pages) and resolution for the project.

            Christopher J. Palmer, AICP
            Associate Planner | City of Hawthorne
            Planning & Community Development
            cpalmer@...
            P. 310.349.2973
            | F. 310.644.6685
            4455 West 126th Street |Hawthorne, California 90250

          • Penny
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 4, 2013
              "But why do we need one in our city." [asked in an earlier email]

              Recycling is important -- being good stewards of our environment is important. Not every one will use the curbside recycling program, some live in apartments that don't offer recycling bins, and some people appreciate the extra cash.

              I'm all for making recycling and re-using things as easy and convenient as possible. But with that said, I also don't think a recycling center is a good fit in a residential area.

              There must be some commercial area in the city that has room for this?

              Penny

              --- In BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com, Jim & Kathy Radek wrote:

              > I thing the Best place to put it is 147 St. and Inglewood ave. If we really need one. By  where the old Save on drugs was. There are no homes around there. But why do we need one in our city. There are alot of recycling centers around already. Go around the Ralphs stores in Torrance and the one on186 St.in  ReDondo Beach. You will see homeless people hanging around even after the centers close. just sitting there or in their cars. We don't need that here.

            • Patricia Lin Hachiya
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 4, 2013
                I am questioning the location of the facility. Based on the convenience zone map, it looks like we already have our fair share of recycling facilities and it is really northern Hawthorne that needs it. But I think there is more political will - or perceived political will - to reject the use in Northern Hawthorne (I think they recently closed on down). I once heard a City employee say something about "who cares about southern Hawthorne"? That's why they recently put in R4 zoning across Rosecrans.

                I think recycling is a good thing, but these operations should really be close to the supermarkets and accessory to supermarkets. They should NOT issue cash but rather vouchers to the market so then people won't use it to buy drugs/alcohol, but real food.

                The City could require the apartments to recycle as they recently did in the City of LA.

                For years the I've attended meetings where City residents and leaders talk about wanting to attract nice restaurants and businesses. But when you put a use like this next to some of these burgeoning restaurants and businesses, that really discourages business.

                I am also somewhat concern with the lack of transparency on the part of the planning department. I was very disappointed that they took the matter off the agenda ON THE DAY of the hearing. I rushed over from work to speak and then they took it off the agenda as if they feared having the Commissioners hear from us. Not very transparent. Bad sign.

                Pat

                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 4, 2013
                  The city had to shut down the center by Ralph's near 118th and Hawthorne. And it took a long time to get it shut down. The home4lees were taking there money to buy the booz and sat around there drinking and useung drugs. Other people would bring their junk there and dump it there after hours. Ho and I'am still wait for planning to e mail me about the meeting as they told me they would do.

                  "But why do we need one in our city." [asked in an earlier email]

                  Recycling is important -- being good stewards of our environment is important. Not every one will use the curbside recycling program, some live in apartments that don't offer recycling bins, and some people appreciate the extra cash.

                  I'm all for making recycling and re-using things as easy and convenient as possible. But with that said, I also don't think a recycling center is a good fit in a residential area.

                  There must be some commercial area in the city that has room for this?

                  Penny

                  --- In mailto:BodgerPark%40yahoogroups.com, Jim & Kathy Radek wrote:

                  > I thing the Best place to put it is 147 St. and Inglewood ave. If we really need one. By  where the old Save on drugs was. There are no homes around there. But why do we need one in our city. There are alot of recycling centers around already. Go around the Ralphs stores in Torrance and the one on186 St.in  ReDondo Beach. You will see homeless people hanging around even after the centers close. just sitting there or in their cars. We don't need that here.

                • Heather
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 4, 2013
                    I had a chance to look @ the plans that were provided in the previous attachment and the location is in the parking lot behind the strip mall north of the donut shop . This is a place where homeless can easily congregate and hide from the publics view. We all are for recycling but not in this location. Concerned about the people it will attract and the oder that will be blown into the neighbor hood.

                    Sent from my iPad

                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 4, 2013
                      Because this site is behind those businesses and not visible from the street, it will be even more susceptible to dumping and who knows what at night. Sites like this need to be in well-lit, routinely policed areas!

                      Penny

                      --- In BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com, Jim & Kathy Radek wrote:

                      > The city had to shut down the center by Ralph's near 118th and Hawthorne. And it took a long time to get it shut down. The home4lees were taking there money to buy the booz and sat around there drinking and useung drugs. Other people would bring their junk there and dump it there after hours. Ho and I'am still wait for planning to e mail me about the meeting as they told me they would do.

                    • Paul Balaschak
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 4, 2013
                        Meeting is set for February 6, 2013. I will try to get there, I travel for work & my schedule is demanding.  Probably why start time is 6pm; consciously reducing the number of attendees...

                        Just saying thats my personal conspiracy theory.

                        Paul Balaschak
                        Cell#: (310) 344-3904