Re: Recycling Facility at 14948 Prairie Avenue

  • Paul Balaschak
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1 5:55 PM
      Mr. Palmer, unfortunately, it seems like this proposal is very close to becoming a done deal as the your report has recommended approval; of course, subject to certain conditions.

      Regarding the project approval conditions recommended in your staff report, there were 2 references to documents I could not locate: an "appendix 3 of the resolution" was referenced as an approval condition; and the results of an environmental study (CEQA) that required the need for an mitigated negative declaration.

      How do we get these documents?

      Does anyone know what the next steps in the process might be?  Is there a hearing scheduled?

      I apologize for my grammar and spelling as this being written on my phone.

      Paul Balaschak
      Bodger Park Resident
      20 yr. homeowner

      On Feb 1, 2013, at 4:37 PM, "Palmer, Christopher" <CPalmer@...> wrote:

      Attached is the staff report (22 pages) and resolution for the project.

      Christopher J. Palmer, AICP
      Associate Planner | City of Hawthorne
      Planning & Community Development
      cpalmer@...
      P. 310.349.2973
      | F. 310.644.6685

      4455 West 126th Street |Hawthorne, California 90250

      <Staff Report.pdf>
      <PC Reso 2013_03.pdf>
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1 6:31 PM
        I have not hear or get any info on this. I called planning on the 14th and they told me nothing  about it was going to be talk about it at that meeting..They told me they will tell  me when something is happening about it.. they told me they would send me a e mail notice. But if you hear anything tell us. I want to go to the meeting. Jim on 144 st.

        Mr. Palmer, unfortunately, it seems like this proposal is very close to becoming a done deal as the your report has recommended approval; of course, subject to certain conditions.

        Regarding the project approval conditions recommended in your staff report, there were 2 references to documents I could not locate: an "appendix 3 of the resolution" was referenced as an approval condition; and the results of an environmental study (CEQA) that required the need for an mitigated negative declaration.

        How do we get these documents?

        Does anyone know what the next steps in the process might be?  Is there a hearing scheduled?

        I apologize for my grammar and spelling as this being written on my phone.

        Paul Balaschak
        Bodger Park Resident
        20 yr. homeowner

        On Feb 1, 2013, at 4:37 PM, "Palmer, Christopher" <CPalmer@...> wrote:

        Attached is the staff report (22 pages) and resolution for the project.

        Christopher J. Palmer, AICP
        Associate Planner | City of Hawthorne
        Planning & Community Development
        cpalmer@...
        P. 310.349.2973
        | F. 310.644.6685

        4455 West 126th Street |Hawthorne, California 90250

        <Staff Report.pdf>
        <PC Reso 2013_03.pdf>
      • Penny Ross
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2 11:10 AM
          Dear Mr. Palmer:

          Thank you for forwarding the information on the proposed recycling center adjacent to Bodger Park.  I assume this information was sent to me because of my previous email to you opposing such a center and I thank you for keeping me in the flow of information.

          According to the resolution you sent:

          "WHEREAS, the City provided published notice of the Planning
          Commission’s Wednesday, January 24, 2013, public hearing on the project;
          WHEREAS, on February 6, 2013, the Planning Commission held a duly
          noticed public hearing on Conditional Use Permit 2012CU11 and following the
          close of the hearing, approved the application and PC Resolution 2013- 03;"

          I'm sorry but I am not familiar with city legalese.  Is this saying that a hearing was held on January 24th?  That is how it reads to me, but I see nothing on the city website that indicates such a hearing was held.  Or is it saying that notices were published on January 24th about the February 6th hearing?  I do see an agenda on the city website for the February 6th meeting and I will plan on being there since it is a public meeting.

          I also noticed on the city website that no minutes are posted since May 2012.  The agendas are being posted regularly, but the minutes are not.  So if someone was not able to attend a meeting and wanted to know what was going on with the Planning Commission, they would be unable to easily obtain this information.  In the interests of keeping our city's residents informed, could the minutes be posted regularly and in a timely manner?

          Thank you,
          Penny Ross

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 4 12:39 PM
            Mr. Palmer --

            I appreciate your prompt response!  And that you'll fix the resolution.

            As for the minutes, a short lag time is certainly understandable.  But it's 7 months behind in posting on the city's website!  Surely it can't take that long to vote on them and then upload them.  Because when we face a situation like this recycling center, I (and I'm sure others) would like to review some of the past minutes and see if it has been brought up for discussion at all or see if similar centers have been considered in other parts of the city. It's difficult to do that when the most recent minutes are 7 months old.

            Thanks,
            Penny Ross

            Thank you for your concerns. The draft Resolution is intended to give facts about the public hearing. We put a public hearing notice in the local publication on January 24, 2013 to inform the public of the meeting on February 6, 2013. I see how unclear that was, will fix it! About the minutes, they are uploaded once approved by the commission. So there is usually a lag because once the minutes are drafted they are voted on and then they are uploaded.

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 4 12:52 PM
              Mr Palmers local publication does not come here or to to alot of this city. They use the smallest news publication they can find. But it meets what the law is about notification. The city even cut back on  the numbers of letters sent out. Just keep us in the dark to what's going on.

              From: Palmer, Christopher <CPalmer@...>
              To: "Palmer, Christopher" <CPalmer@...>
              Date: Friday, February 1, 2013, 4:37 PM