RE: [BodgerPark] Vote on E and CL

  • Kevin Schaaf
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 25, 2012
      Below is some information on the Measures. If Measure E does not pass, I imagine that El Camino College will have to delay many of its renovation projects.  One downside to this is that now is probably an ideal time for ECC to get low rates on the bonds and thus save a lot of money in the long run.  I'm leaning Yes on Measure E, but I have heard some concerns about this Measure and have not yet made up my mind.

      If Measure CL does not pass, however, the impacts will be felt in the classrooms of our children.  Class sizes are already much higher throughout Lawndale.  I imagine the same is true for all the schools in Centinela Valley.  One fifth grade classroom at FDR Elementary right here in our neighborhood now has 37 students.  Full disclosure: my wife is a teacher, and 3 of our children attend Lawndale schools.  We're voting Yes on Measure CL.  Based on Jim's estimates below, a 4000 square foot property would face an increase of $80 / year in property taxes; a 5000 square foot property would pay $100 / year more.  I know money is tight for many of us, and I'm not impartial, but I think it's important that we think seriously about investing in the education of all of our children.

      Here's one of the pro- arguments from the last CL link:
      Over the last five years, California has seized $120 Million from our local neighborhood schools. CL raises over $11 million/year for schools in your neighborhood. Every penny of the money stays here, and NO MONEY CAN BE TAKEN BY SACRAMENTO.

      Measure CL
      http://myballot.kpcc.org/race-detail.do?id=11219906

      Measure E

      To: BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com
      From: alene.gardner@...
      Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 20:59:46 -0700
      Subject: Re: [BodgerPark] Vote no on E and CL

      Thanks,
      I was already voting "no".

      Alene Gardner
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 25, 2012
        I've already decided to vote 'no' on anything that looks remotely like a tax increase.  If WE have to 'live within our means', the braintrust in Sacramento can do the same.

        Katie/146th Street

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 26, 2012
          2009 tax bill
          Community college 0.014868
          High Schools 0.029180
          Elem Schools 0.047603

          2010 tax bill
          Community college 0.016140
          High Schools 0.031606
          Elem Schools 0.054293

          2011 tax bill (Palos Verdes)
          Palos Verdes Library 0.006359
          Community College 0.035296
          Unified Schools 0.168187 (not a typo)
        • Gweneth Mingo
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 26, 2012
            I appreciate your sentiments about Measure E and El Camino College. My issue is that what's the point of doing all the renovations, when there are no classes available for the students, because of lack of funds for teachers. I would much rather see our kids be able to get educated in older classrooms, but with enought teachers.

            From: alene.gardner@...
            Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 20:59:46 -0700

            Thanks,
            I was already voting "no".

            Alene Gardner
            If you are thinking how to vote on E & CL. Remember this both CL & E will increase your property taxs. E is a bond again.  CL is for the high and schools CL will increasa yourb property taxs alot. It is 2 cents Per square foot of your property. That will add up real fast most lots are about 4000 or 5000. Sq ft,. That's why I'm voted no on both props. Jim on 144 st. Thank you

          • james8888oz
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 29, 2012
              I am also voting NO on measure CL. Centinela is run by the Telecu Corporation which funded the campaigns of Board members and then funded the campaign for measure CL. Telecu's lawyers even drafted the ballot language. If it passes, Telecu will make more money by continuing to tear down the schools and then building them back up again (whether it is needed or not). And your property taxes could increase by another $200 a year. And renters will pay more too as landlords will simply pass along their tax costs.